Duc 1098 & MV's at the Sydney Motorcycle Show - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Sydney Bikeshow 2006

Just got back from the Sydney bikeshow and saw the new Ducati 1098. The new Ducati 1098 which will cost about $25k AUD which is about $10k cheaper than the 999 ($35k). Image if you have just brought the 999!!!!

The 1098 is the same price as the 749!!!

The 1098 power is up on from the 999, why would you buy the 999?
The quality of the 1098 is typical Ducati and in person the Ducati looks like a CBR1000rr front and a MV rear with twin arrow pipes.

The exhaust on the Casoli MV looks very tasty. If I had the dollar I would love to buy a set for myself.

At the end of the day, the MV has the quality hands down, but MV needs to get their act together if they want to sell more MV Agusta. Ducati WILL sell a sh!t load of the new 1098 as its very affordable. The 1098 is only $5000.00 AUD more than most 1000cc Japanese bikes!!!

Kudos for Ducati by making the 1098 affordable to the general buying public.
Attached Images

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

oh here is the $50k AUD senna.
Attached Images

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
great shots
glad you had a great time
so....
how did the 1098 look?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Established Member

Thumbs up

Very good pics !! Thanks for posting.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:09 PM
whats with the red tape all around that senna. Spoils the picture
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:30 PM

Thanks for pics, was at the Brisbane show the week after, I think thats Paul Feeneys Senna, probably last one avaliable for display.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
I also just returned from the Sydney show.
I had a friend who was wanting to buy the Ducati 1098, but is waiting now for a test ride.All first and second shipments are are pre sold.
Yes it is a great machine, especially for their new pricing, and you can see where the cost saving has come from. The detailing reminded me of a Honda (not a premier Italian bike). The Ducati men said they were wanting to now compete with the Japanese, hence the new pricing.
I think companies like Casoli will be happy as the little plastic doo dads all over the bike will be upgraded.
I am sure the S model will be tastier still.
Over at MV the difference in quality was immediate even to a novice. I had a good talk with the distributor and they are pretty much sold out of allotments so they are happy. He did say he has allready 4 deposits paid for the new CC at around A$150,000 (and S f4 1000 is A$28,000), so there are buyers.
What was interesting was they had sold a number of S (runouts) to guys that had gone to the show to by an R1 for example, and changed their minds.
The new Japanese bikes I just couldn't get excited about.
The best stands I think were Ducati and MV , but then I am biased.
When I was at the MV stand, I overhead a group of guys say about the F4 R, "That is just perfect, I hope they never change it, like Ducati did". I thought that was intersting.
At Casoli the owner Tim Boydle had his track bike on display complet with tricolour paint job (see above), it was the most photographed bike at the show I was told.
So, all in all, yes the 1098 is exceptional for the price,heading in the right direction but I wouldn't sell my MV for one, that was sure.
Cheers, going for a spin, beautiful Sunday down here.

MVA Sydney
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Ducati saved weight and cost by using alot of plastic. I can see alot more of the Ducati on the road in the near future due to the affordability factor. Its only $5k more than most Japanese bike. So its only a few dollars more per month to get an Italian bike - why not.

Servicing cost of the 1098 will be about the same as a standard Jap bike, so yes Ducati will capture alot of new buyers with this bike.

Still, you can't compare the quality of the MV with the Ducati - the MV is just miles ahead in this department.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Albert
I also just returned from the Sydney show.
I had a friend who was wanting to buy the Ducati 1098, but is waiting now for a test ride.All first and second shipments are are pre sold.
Yes it is a great machine, especially for their new pricing, and you can see where the cost saving has come from. The detailing reminded me of a Honda (not a premier Italian bike). The Ducati men said they were wanting to now compete with the Japanese, hence the new pricing.
I think companies like Casoli will be happy as the little plastic doo dads all over the bike will be upgraded.
I am sure the S model will be tastier still.
Over at MV the difference in quality was immediate even to a novice. I had a good talk with the distributor and they are pretty much sold out of allotments so they are happy. He did say he has allready 4 deposits paid for the new CC at around A$150,000 (and S f4 1000 is A$28,000), so there are buyers.
What was interesting was they had sold a number of S (runouts) to guys that had gone to the show to by an R1 for example, and changed their minds.
The new Japanese bikes I just couldn't get excited about.
The best stands I think were Ducati and MV , but then I am biased.
When I was at the MV stand, I overhead a group of guys say about the F4 R, "That is just perfect, I hope they never change it, like Ducati did". I thought that was intersting.
At Casoli the owner Tim Boydle had his track bike on display complet with tricolour paint job (see above), it was the most photographed bike at the show I was told.
So, all in all, yes the 1098 is exceptional for the price,heading in the right direction but I wouldn't sell my MV for one, that was sure.
Cheers, going for a spin, beautiful Sunday down here.
Thank you for posting your review of the show and the new 1098.

Is the detailing any worse than the 999? I wan't impressed with the quality, fit and finish of the 999. Does the 1098 look as good or better in person?

With that said, I look forward to seeing the new 1098 in January.
Based on the pics, specs and new lower price, it would be a nice bike to add alongside the F4, but never replace.

Joe

2005 MV Agusta F4-1000 S
1998 Suzuki TL1000R sold
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100 sold
1987 Yamaha FZR 600 sold
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
jsdp, the quality and detailing is much worse than the 999 and dramatically so against the 916. They have chased cost reduction which obviously was a major goal. They may attract more converts this way, the real Ducatisti will modify anyway.

MVA Sydney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode