Nearly dropped her! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Nearly dropped her!

Well this was unexpected...
Pootling along in traffic down main street a hill in one of our local 'sea side towns'.. bike in 2nd gear feathering the clutch in and out and my right hand lightly holding a shut off throttle. The car in front along with the rest of the traffic move forward creating a gap....I unexpectedly go into a dip/rut in the road and my 'lightly' gripping throttle hand slipped and jerks the throttle round 'suddenly'!
Lucky there was 'that' gap to the back of the car in front as my bike shot forward violently! . And I was very fortunate I wasn't into the back of him!
More embarrassing than anything else with the huge rev of the engine and me outa control. (lucky I had my black visor down)
When your'e at your most relaxed and something like this happens instantly...boy that throttle is 'sensitive'!!
It's not like me though...and gives me a cold shiver every time I think about it
Be careful
Brian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 AM

I know how you felt.
Similar thing happened not long ago when out on my Hayabusa. Threw the throttle hand into go faster mode and scared me half to death. I took off like a drag bike. Only damage was to my underwear.
Just shows that you can never relax.

oldnfast(ish) Racing towards old age
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnfast View Post
I know how you felt.
Similar thing happened not long ago when out on my Hayabusa. Threw the throttle hand into go faster mode and scared me half to death. I took off like a drag bike. Only damage was to my underwear.
Just shows that you can never relax.
Yeah I felt..and probably looked like an idiot....'all decked out', riding an MV through a 'seaside town'. Then a huge rev and the bike and me outa control violently heading toward the back of a slowly moving car in front
Hand just 'slipped' when I was doing about 3mph and went into 'warp factor 9 Mr Sulu'
Needless to say...I didn't stop for a 'bar of rock'
My shorts held up well though.
Brian.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
My shorts held up well though.
Brian.
that's certainly quite important

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 PM

Yeah, I've done stuff like that myself. In my case, it's usually when I start getting tired. Fatigue can really make it hard to keep a finessed touch on the throttle.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Exclamation Timely Reminders

Hi Brian,

That's an excellent cautionary tale, thanks for posting it. I am glad nothing more than a little embarrassment was the worst damage that you suffered.

We all get into the 'relaxed' state and it seems tthat's when all the bad things associated with bikes happen. A timely reminder for us all.

Isn't that 'sensitive' throttle one of the reasons why we bought these things? - he he

Cheers
Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbutspry View Post
Yeah, I've done stuff like that myself.....
Me too......my Sportster 48 has a very sensitive throttle that has caused me to sit up and take notice. Jackie rode it once, and decided she didn't like the hair trigger throttle. The dealer says it's normal.

My problem is having to relearn a different bike each time I ride. The throttle, clutch, horn/turn signal switch, the front brake lever, etc., are all different from bike to bike.

Today, I rode Jackie's VRod to church today with a naturally soft front brake.........every time I ride it, I have to remind myself that a big old handful of brake doesnt come quickly.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM

Tell this tale to the fools thinking an F4 is a good choice for a "first" bike or an upgrade from a scooter. "Oh I ride easy, I pay attention, I know what I'm doing" phbhbhbhbhbhbt The margin of error on these is a knife blade and they won't get that until they end up wrapped around a street sign.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
My problem is having to relearn a different bike each time I ride.
Yeah, i get used to twisting the throttle with aplomb on my other bike and then when I switch back to the Brutale I get carried away. It wouldn't be so bad but my wife has this absurd fear of riding on one wheel...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbutspry View Post
Yeah, i get used to twisting the throttle with aplomb on my other bike and then when I switch back to the Brutale I get carried away. It wouldn't be so bad but my wife has this absurd fear of riding on one wheel...
Is that her only absurd fear?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode