Claudio Castiglioni Interview - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Lightbulb Claudio Castiglioni Interview

See link below for a classic Claudio Castiglioni interview published in Motorcylist in August 2004.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ro.../photo_10.html

That was more than 2 years ago, and supposedly the new 1098 was developed from cyber dream to reality in 2 years per MCN's latest article. Is this timeline a coincidence or did Claudio Castiglioni awaken Ducati to there big mistake with the 999 and abandoning the legendary 916 design?

The new 1098 is all about its roots to the 916, which the 999 never was. You be the judge.

Joe

2005 MV Agusta F4-1000 S
1998 Suzuki TL1000R sold
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100 sold
1987 Yamaha FZR 600 sold

Last edited by jsdp; 11-19-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 12:15 AM

Nothing happens in a vacuum and I'm sure Castiglioni's article was heard by Ducati but I don't think it was the only motivating force.

I think Ducati knew they didn't have as beautiful successor to the 998 and Terrablache was not Tamburini. Around 2001/2002, I remember hearing there were debates or probelms regarding the next 998. And, unlike the 1098, there weren't alot of spy photos (i didn't think) leaking out at the time. I remember one day seeing a link which took me to the offical picture of the 999.

So, I think Ducati didn't mind leaking some pictures and info of the 1098 -since they proud of it. Hey, the racing and "tradition" worked for Porsche. It may work for Ducati. The down side is that 916-1098 style will be around for may years to come....sort of like a Harley.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Hi guys, you may be interested to know, I spoke with our OZ importer of MV at the Sydney Bike show and he has 4 firm deposits for the CC, which in OZ is A$160,000 (an F4 R is A$32,000). He said they are going to wealthy "bike nuts" who have a number of bikes and not as collectors and they will ride them, and they didn't quibble about price.
So we only have a population of 22million, at those numbers I guess the 100 will sell.
You could noticably see that at the show the MV were moving more towards a premium brand.

MVA Sydney
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:24 AM

Hey that's my first post, but I've been reading the forum for quite some time and actually have an opinion on that subject. I respect CC but I'm not sure that he's right
because if that's really the way too go (always evolution not revolution) then why MV
is bancrupt. You can't always use the same technology and only do small ajustments.
Because eventually the competition will think of something revolutionary and be far ahead
leaving you selling "classics". I liked the 999 it's better bike than the 916 maybe not as pretty with suca a classic beauty but pretty in it's own way and the 1098 is a tottaly new bike from the previous two not the same with a different colour scheme a NEW one. It's just the styling that looks like the old bike (and actually not that much).
MV have been the same bikes por the past 10 years. I'm expecting a new one with new styling (that could be an evolution of the current styling) and new components.
After all porcshe didn't sell the same 911 for 50 years the made new generations with the
jus a few thing that were considered classic porcshe design were kept but they were tottaly new cars.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkel
Hey that's my first post, but I've been reading the forum for quite some time and actually have an opinion on that subject. I respect CC but I'm not sure that he's right
because if that's really the way too go (always evolution not revolution) then why MV
is bancrupt. You can't always use the same technology and only do small ajustments.
Because eventually the competition will think of something revolutionary and be far ahead
leaving you selling "classics". I liked the 999 it's better bike than the 916 maybe not as pretty with suca a classic beauty but pretty in it's own way and the 1098 is a tottaly new bike from the previous two not the same with a different colour scheme a NEW one. It's just the styling that looks like the old bike (and actually not that much).
MV have been the same bikes por the past 10 years. I'm expecting a new one with new styling (that could be an evolution of the current styling) and new components.
After all porcshe didn't sell the same 911 for 50 years the made new generations with the
jus a few thing that were considered classic porcshe design were kept but they were tottaly new cars.
Welcome to the forum

You have some valid points, but there are also companies out there that are very successful using the same approach (i.e. Harley Davidson, Rolex, Etc.).

Timinig is everything, and I think especially in the case of the release of the F4 in 1999. They spent years and probably most of there startup capital developing the bike with 750cc just about the time 1000cc 4 cylinder bikes came to market (R1 in 1998). Well as beautiful as it looked ( and won 35 "Motorcycle of the Year" awards since), performance wise it couldn't compete with the new crop of liter bikes. If they had a crystal ball and had foreseen the trend to 4 cylinder liter bikes (as well as Superbike regulations), and had brought to market the MV F4-1000 from the beginning, I believe they would be thriving financially, because the bike would of had the performance to back up the beauty. Just MHO.

Joe

2005 MV Agusta F4-1000 S
1998 Suzuki TL1000R sold
1987 Yamaha FZR 600 sold
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs
I think Ducati knew they didn't have as beautiful successor to the 998 and Terrablache was not Tamburini. Around 2001/2002, I remember hearing there were debates or probelms regarding the next 998. And, unlike the 1098, there weren't alot of spy photos (i didn't think) leaking out at the time. I remember one day seeing a link which took me to the offical picture of the 999.
Allan, I am not so sure there were debates or problems regarding the next 998 in 2001/2002. The bike was in development for 5 years (since 1997) and released in 2002. They were quite proud of the 999 when it first debuted. If you read "Ducati 999: The Birth of a Legend" by Alan Cathcart and Marc Cook, you will see that they were very proud of the 999 and believed in Terblanche.

BTW, I agree that Castiglioni's article was not the only motivating force. Sales were.

Joe

2005 MV Agusta F4-1000 S
1998 Suzuki TL1000R sold
1987 Yamaha FZR 600 sold
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
performance wise it couldn't compete with the new crop of liter bikes.
I think a bigger problem was it couldn't even compete with current three-quarter litre bikes.

Si
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer
I think a bigger problem was it couldn't even compete with current three-quarter litre bikes.

Si
I thought it made the same rear wheel horsepower as the Suzuki GSXR750 in 1999?

I wonder if some of the F4-750 owners here would know the answer to that.

Joe

2005 MV Agusta F4-1000 S
1998 Suzuki TL1000R sold
1987 Yamaha FZR 600 sold
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Established Member

As for as the design for the replacment 998..........well it is currently known as the MV f4 and the Brutale was supposed to be the next Monster. When the sale went to the public company and parties went seperate ways, so did their designs. Ducati was caught a bit off guard and went with the next best thing they had to fulfil promises to investors and stockholders. The F4 is a very nice evolution from the 916 and the great thing the seperation brought us was the rebirth of MV.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
I am glad someone brought this up. The Ducati guys are sort of forgeting, the real new incarnation of the 916 was the F4, both by CRC and Tamburini. I think because it had a four not a twin, most don't make this observation.
When the Ducati sale whent through Claudio, Tambo and the team at CRC sraerd up separately and used the dormant MV name that ducati didn't want since it was known as a multicylinder marque and Ducati had to be twin...blah blah blah.
As for the F4 new models being nothing new, that is not true. Compare an original F4 750 specs with a new F4 1000R, or (a tambo). Virtually nothing the same except the styling, which we all agree is spot on. Ducati are frantically trying to get the styling back, but it's hard when the CRC guys are busy elsewhere.
And as for MV being broke, I think you will find Ducati and Aprillia are not real solid either, it seems to be an Italian sort of thing, you just live with.

MVA Sydney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode