Anyone used an ultralight trailer like the trailer-in-a-bag or folding style? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
Anyone used an ultralight trailer like the trailer-in-a-bag or folding style?

I did a search but was inundated with mostly threads about people talking about trailering their bikes places, not really talking about the equipment.

The backstory is I am thinking about picking up a BMW 328 (the acutal 3.0 6, not the turbo) and BMW makes a 200/2000 hidden hitch for it. The plan is for this to be a general utility vehicle and one of those utilities might be trailering the bike with a trunk full of crap to the track.

Im actually looking at a wagon (or touring if youre self-concious) so the trailer will ONLY be holding the MV. I see TONS of trailers that will fit the spec of the car but Id love for it to be as light as possible while still being safe. The thought is the less weight the car has to tow the better, more responsive and easier on the car.

Ive been looking at the minimalist open trailers like the Trailer-in-a-bag, the Kendon and other collapsible types. I love the collapsible idea as I live in the city with a two car garage and cant just leave a trailer outdoors.

Anyone have experience with these or can recommend something similar (specifically as light as possible)? I dont need any/much more than 500lbs capacity since I am not hauling that chrome bus Randy calls a bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Hi Ryan,

I have used the Kendon...it was at Bub II...

Granted I pulled it with my truck, but it was a very stable platform. My feeling is that the trailer needs to be of stable construction, with sufficient length of the hitch arm, so that the towed device doesn't sway behind you. The Kendon product was stable. I would have an issue, no matter what the advertising claims, of a trailer you reassemble each time you use it. One bad connection and you are out one very nice bike...and liable for whatever it happens to careen into!

Another company that makes a great procust...and it stands up by cranking it up...it the Baxley Trailer. Were I looking for a light weight, easy to store unit, this is what I would buy hands down.

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/

Following are some pictures of the Kendon two bike unit in use:

Name:  DSCN6003r.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  404.3 KB

Name:  DSCN5962r.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  249.6 KB

A couple of things to consider: 1) The hitch ball height is very important. On the Kendon, the spare is carried under the trailer and it can hit the pavement...it makes a horrible noise and isn't good for the tire! 2) The hidden hitch on the BMW, if it is the same as the one on the New X3, is a very trick unit...make sure someone shows you exactly how it works and try it before you leave the point of purchase.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I have a friend that had a Baxley fold up...used it to haul his Harley to Sturgis...he really liked it.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 AM

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
The only thing that might be problematic about the baxley is, for a single bike trailer, they are as heavy as the bike. Id really like to keep the tongue weight and overall weight down so I dont need to have to worry about even pushing the limits of the car. Overwise Id love to have a nicer/wider "drive on" type trailer but the garages are city garages (aka tight) and I definitely couldnt leave it outdoors.

Im not too concerned about the idea of assembling/disassembling it. It looks like the vast majority of it is 4 parts and then the lights. I probably wouldnt even break most of it down, just hang it in the garage or put it in the back of the wagon. Id probably replace the pins with locked harware in those cases.

As for the hydralift it looks like a cool piece of kit but it seems odd to have the bike sideways, seems like it would increase the risk of clipping/rocks/etc. If they did that straight-on with a ball Id be all over it.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Old Wing Nut

eFlyer uses a rail that mounts on the trailer hitch of his car and carries the bike sideways behind the tail gate....uses it to haul his Brutales and Mary's triumph 675 (isn't that what she has)...works a charm for him.

Like this one:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-...FaEJRQodR1kAZA

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 07-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Tongue weight cannot exceed 200lbs.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
Tongue weight cannot exceed 200lbs.
Rules that out then, doesn't it!!!

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:53 PM

New Site Garage
Not sure about the tongue weight. I can move my trailer around with both bikes on it. I think the trailer is only about 400lbs total.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Big Randaddy

Ryan, buy a dahamn pickup truck.......living inside the Perimeter is cutting off the blood to your brain......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode