2012 Motorcycling laws France. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

2012 Motorcycling laws France.

Hi,

We're Motorcycling to France in 2 weeks.

Does anyone know what the Motorcycle Law requirements are for 2012, as we keep reading and hearing conflicting reports. Must admit, we are a little confused.... ?

Thanks.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We are not ordinary, normal or perfect as we are all individuals. Life is far to short, grab it by the balls and ring its neck... Enjoy yourself its later than you think .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RVF 400, CBR 400, Kawasaki ER6F, Pollini Mini Moto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Established Member

Apparently you need to string fluorescent onions around your neck, strap a torch to your helmet and dangle a warning triangles from each ankle. But of course I might be confused too.

MV Augusta Brutale 1090RR
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Established Member

Just come back from there and had no problems whatsoever...But!
There are some new laws coming into effect this July so they'll probably be active when you travel. The main ones are:
1) You should carry a spare set of bulbs (main and rear and indicators)
2) You must carry a self-breathalyser with you (a tenner in Halfords) NEW FROM JULY 2012
3) Fluorescent vest or a jacket/tabbard with hi-vis sections should be worn (NOT LAW UNTIL JAN 2013)
3) You must carry all your documents including both parts of your licence, insurance, mot certificate and log book
4) First aid kit (small travel one is sufficient) (£1 in Poundland!!)
5) If you wear glasses, you must carry a spare pair with you
6) Make sure you headlights are either adjusted for right hand riding or have one of those covers over them which reduces the glare to oncoming traffic (£10 in Halfords) Not really a problem if you only ride during the day
6) If you travel more than 30mph over the speed limit, the police have the power to seize you bike and put you in jail!! Speeding less than 30mph over the limit will get you a 300 euro fine (or 150 euros if you pay cash on the spot)
7)There are speed cameras everywhere and not bright yellow like in the UK. Most are front facing (but not all) and there is usually a warning of an approaching camera before you get to it but unlike the UK, if you see a warning sign, there WILL be a camera soon after!

I think that's it but don't be thinking that it will be a complete nightmare riding in France...I took all those things with me and not once was I asked to produce any of them and I NEVER wore my Hi-Vis jacket once (although at night it would be wise to) You DON'T need a warning triangle, only car drivers need those

It may also be wise to carry a puncture repair kit or an instant 'tyre weld' type thing in case of a flat.

There a plenty of toll roads in France and many of the booths only accept payment by card (I used my UK debit card with no problems but approach them slowly so you get in the right lane if you only have cash otherwise it's a really pain to have to back out of a card only one and find a cash one
See: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nce-monaco.pdf for more info

Have a great time and as long as you aren't stupid and choose your moments wisely when you want to go fast then you'll be just fine.

Danny

Last edited by DannyG; 06-29-2012 at 05:52 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
Just come back from there and had no problems whatsoever...But!
There are some new laws coming into effect this July so they'll probably be active when you travel. The main ones are:
1) You must carry a spare set of bulbs (main and rear and indicators)
2) You must carry a self-breathalyser with you (a tenner in Halfords)
3) Fluorescent vest or a jacket/tabbard with hi-vis sections should be worn (a vest is £5 in Halfords)
3) You must carry all your documents including both parts of your licence, insurance, mot certificate and log book
4) First aid kit (small travel one is sufficient) (£1 in Poundland!!)
5) If you wear glasses, you must carry a spare pair with you
6) Make sure you headlights are either adjusted for right hand riding or have one of those covers over them which reduces the glare to oncoming traffic (£10 in Halfords) Not really a problem if you only ride during the day
6) If you travel more than 30mph over the speed limit, the police have the power to seize you bike and put you in jail!! Speeding less than 30mph over the limit will get you a 300 euro fine (or 150 euros if you pay cash on the spot)
7)There are speed cameras everywhere and not bright yellow like in the UK. Most are front facing (but not all) and there is usually a warning of an approaching camera before you get to it but unlike the UK, if you see a warning sign, there WILL be a camera soon after!

I think that's it but don't be terrified that it will be a complete nightmare riding in France...I took all those things with me and not once was I asked to produce any of them and I NEVER wore my Hi-Vis jacket once (although at night it would be wise to)

It may also be wise to carry a puncture repair kit or an instant 'tyre weld' type thing in case of a flat.

Have a great time and as long as you aren't stupid and choose your moments when you want to go fast then you'll be just fine.

Danny

Pants up, don't loot.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Big Randaddy

So, why bother? Really, why bother?

In Bubbaland, you need a valid motorcycle license, a valid tag on your bike, and proof of insurance......that's it.

......I do happen to have our local sheriff's cell number stored in my phone.....

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mark, fluorescent onions around your neck, might keep the French Vamps away.

Danny G and Iamlance, Thanks for good advice, apprehensive about the whole trip never ridden in France...

Randy, We booked this last year not knowing if there was gonna be another Bubba, It was a real good deal 1 week dinner bed breakfast for 2 reduced from £940 to £340, would've been rude not to,

http://www.manxski.com/

take a look. We then decided it would be rude not to make it a motorcycle holiday. Fingers crossed we're working on Bubba, we haven't said no yet, will have to be cheap hotel though... as long as there's a clean bed and bathroom it'll do us.... We're working on it as we both really want to go. X

We are not ordinary, normal or perfect as we are all individuals. Life is far to short, grab it by the balls and ring its neck... Enjoy yourself its later than you think .

RVF 400, CBR 400, Kawasaki ER6F, Pollini Mini Moto.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Big Randaddy

Please don't take my comment the wrong way. Not intended to impugne your choice. It just appears that the French don't want out of country tourists, if indeed you have to jump thru so many hoops to enjoy your trip.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Please don't take my comment the wrong way. Not intended to impugne your choice. It just appears that the French don't want out of country tourists, if indeed you have to jump thru so many hoops to enjoy your trip.
Not taken in the wrong way at all.... we hear what your saying.... seems a " shoot yourself in the foot " attitude to tourism by the French....

"We are not here for a long time, we are here for a good time" Guy Martin Road Racer.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode