Is this acceptable ? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Is this acceptable ?

Scenario:-

I heard a true story the other day about a biker who was driving in the middle of the road whilst going around a right hand corner. Whilst doing so the driver of an oncoming car became very upset as apparently it was a very near thing that the biker didn't loose his head.

When confronted about this the motorcyclist stated to the car driver, that he admits his machine was in the center of the road but it wasn't actually 'over' the white line.

The biker then stated that although his bike wasn't 'quite' on the wrong side of the road he agreed that his head and body were indeed over the white line as he was cranked over, at this point the car driver became very annoyed with the biker and bad feeling has ensued.

There is no suggestion whatsoever of speeding in this instance.

I'm very interested in hearing the comments folk may have about this true scenario.

Last edited by adecritten; 06-27-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 AM
MRT

Self preservation would ensure that both my bike and all body parts would remain on my side of the road.

I saw a brochure recently that raised this exact issue, ie don't lean over the centre line. Kind of goes without saying!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 AM

I keep left when going around a right hander and I keep right when going around a left hander. This I understand from my mates who know everything ! is the " safe line" and gives best visibilty around the bend.
It also means I lean into the empty part of my side of the road

The right lean in the road centre is imho rolling the dice..and could eventually hurt ..alot ..

joe

addenum

pls bear in mind we drive/ride on the left in UK

Last edited by gotojoe; 06-27-2012 at 06:11 AM.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I think if you are any where near the center of the road going around a corner you deserve to have your head removed by oncoming traffic.

If you have 10 feet of paved surface upon which to travel, why would you need to occupy the last few inches closest to oncoming traffic? It is dangerous for the oncoming traffic and possibly fatal for you?

All it takes is the oncoming vehicle to be just a little wide on the turn and you're finished.

On the other hand, if you are that stupid then self clorinating the gene pool is probably not a bad idea.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to drmasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I think if you are any where near the center of the road going around a corner you deserve to have your head removed by oncoming traffic.

If you have 10 feet of paved surface upon which to travel, why would you need to occupy the last few inches closest to oncoming traffic? It is dangerous for the oncoming traffic and possibly fatal for you?

All it takes is the oncoming vehicle to be just a little wide on the turn and you're finished.

On the other hand, if you are that stupid then self clorinating the gene pool is probably not a bad idea.

+1, if you've been riding long enough, you would have certainly made these mistakes (running wide into oncoming lane, tailgating, too high entrance speeds) so it's good to have these discussions , especially for the newer lads amongst us. The other day while out for a little ride I had an incident. Now, I don't normally chase people down when they do something stupid but this time I had to because the kid was going to kill someone, someday...I was on a straight hilly road when suddenly a a kid in a Q5 is heading right at me (my mistake#1: not getting on the horn fast enough and assuming he already saw me), he was speeding coming over a ridge distracted by his phone or whatever and now I have to simultaneously beep while moving off the road, he sees me, locks his brakes coming within a few inches of me, swerves back into his lane and I nearly wet my pants. After chasing him down, pulling him over and not breaking every bone in his body ( he was visibly shaken), I had to give him a dose of reality. Today young man, you almost made my wife a widow and my two beautiful girls fatherless, my tirade continued for a few more minutes then ended with the question,"Imagine how you'd feel if someone took your father out like that"? Guys/ gals, be careful out there, don't be that idiot on the road and watch out for the millions that are!

06 F4CC
09 F4 1078RR
15 Multi 1200S
“Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”
― William Saroyan
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by adecritten View Post
Scenario:-

I heard a true story the other day about a biker who was driving in the middle of the road whilst going around a right hand corner. Whilst doing so the driver of an oncoming car became very upset as apparently it was a very near thing that the biker didn't loose his head.

When confronted about this the motorcyclist stated to the car driver, that he admits his machine was in the center of the road but it wasn't actually 'over' the white line.

The biker then stated that although his bike wasn't 'quite' on the wrong side of the road he agreed that his head and body were indeed over the white line as he was cranked over, at this point the car driver became very annoyed with the biker and bad feeling has ensued.

There is no suggestion whatsoever of speeding in this instance.

I'm very interested in hearing the comments folk may have about this true scenario.

No suggestion of speeding?

bullshit. How can you be cranked over in a turn and not be speeding?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 AM

New Site Garage
If you want to get to the limit of the surface available, go find a Racetrack.
If you don't, you will have to deal with the consequences.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to drmasis
[QUOTE=Donsy;537247]If you want to get to the limit of the surface available, go find a Racetrack.
If you don't, you will have to deal with the consequences

He's right!

06 F4CC
09 F4 1078RR
15 Multi 1200S
“Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”
― William Saroyan
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Al-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
No suggestion of speeding?

bullshit. How can you be cranked over in a turn and not be speeding?
maybe he was on some kind of giant harley.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al- View Post
maybe he was on some kind of giant harley.
There was no mention of sparks either.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode