BST Carbon wheel -rim seat problem - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

BST Carbon wheel -rim seat problem

Hi,
Last year I bought my wife a set of BST carbon wheels for her Brutale. Fitted a pair of Pirelli supercorsa tyres. All was good for approx 1,200 miles.

The rear tyre keeps deflating, no puncture, not a valve problem. It appears that the tyre is now failing to seat properly on the rim. I have inflated the tyre on teh wheel, and placed it in a placed it a large water container. The air can be seen escaping from the rim between the tyre and bead area.

The wheel has no damage at all, its been well looked after.

I have been back to my local tyre shop and they have refitted the tyre a couple of times and used a number of different bead sealants but to no effect.

Has anyone ever had a similar issue and if so how was it solved.

It seems a shame to buy and fit another tyre if something can be done.

Regards

jimboF4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 PM

I would contact Blackstone tek directly and ask them. They have great customer service and typically take care of all issues as long as you have all the original paperwork and boxes with the correct serial numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if they ask you send them the rim and then returned you a new one. They are a good company. I've had several sets of their rims.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Interested in the outcome, please keep us informed

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Find the leak again and mark it on the rim lip and side wall of the tire with a grease pen/pencil or tape. Unseat the tire and rotate it 45 degrees, reseat then go find the leak again. If the leak is in the same spot on the rim then its the rim. If the leak follows the tire then you know where the issue lies.

Edit: it seems odd that one would need to used bead sealant on a "good" tire. If it turns out to be the tire then chances are someone nicked the inner edge of the rubber and caused this. You'll want to personally inspect all components yourself. Don't take someones word for it. If if is the tire and there is no damage anywhere then it is a manufacturing defect which should be covered under warranty.
Should it turn out the be the rim(very unlikely) with no damage cause by the installer then BST will be happy to help you out. If it was caused by the installer then BST will still help you out with repairing the rim. Usually very little cost involved.

Last edited by varium; 06-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode