Is it too much bike? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Is it too much bike?

Hi everyone. For those who dont already know Ive been thinking about getting an F4. Though theres something I didnt mention specifically to avoid what I think you're all going to tell me as many people have. Only experience I have is on mopeds.

So is a litre bike like an F4 too much for a first bike? I do see why pretty much everyone says I will kill myself. I get it, it goes from 0 to very fast in mere seconds and all it takes is someting like a wrong twist of the throttle.

But, and I know others have probably said this before, but can't I just be careful, ride maturely and safely and still get this bike. I would be inclined to do so if only because of the price of an F4 let alone my safety. Where do you all stand on this? Do you think there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I should get one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Established Member

Send a message via MSN to Thruan
Personal opinion.

Do not get one!!

It's not just the power. Bikes like these are very unforgiving they are a RACE bike. You make a small mistake on an f4, your hitting the deck, you make a small mistake on a more forgiving, ROAD bike you have a chance of saving it.

You will learn much much much more riding a smaller more sedate bike then an f4. You will forever be worried about breaking it, and you won't develop as a rider.

Ride something more suited to a learning rider for a year or 2. Then get an f4.

That's not the answer you were looking for. But you already know you aren't ready for it otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.
post #3 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

It's strange but everyone who has said I (or anyone else) shouldn't get such a bike for a first always mention getting yourself killed/hurt and maybe also the fact you're gonna trash the bike and I could look past all that (call it being fearless or stupid). I think what's making decide to start off on smaller bike is what others have sometimes mentioned usually as an aside but you seem to have made your main point: I wouldn't develop as a rider. So thank you mate. I think Im definitly gonna try a smaller bike.

Only problem is which one? i remember when I got my moped I briefly looked into sports bikes and back then there were plenty of options and that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Several 125s but I think I could go a bit bigger but the only 250 I know of is the Ninja. Any suggestions? It must be a sport bike. Also, assuming I go for the ninja, do you think it would be reasonable to go for F4 after that?
post #4 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 AM

Cbr 600 F , around 85 hp and very linear power.
Bmw F800 S , has 80 hp , has always good resale value.
My favourite would be a Triumph Thruxton, has standard 68 hp , with other exhaust and minor tweaks 80 hp.
Problem is that you,ll probably never sell the Thruxton and buy a F4 as second bike.
To give you an idea , if I ever would be forced to one bike it would be my Bonneville. (same engine as the thruxton).
Good luck with whatever bike you buy
post #5 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 AM

Suzuki SV 650 mate.

Someone once asked me if I was "out of my mind". To which I replied "of course I am, as its dark & scary in their".
post #6 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
No crystal ball is big enough to predict whether you'll be safe on an F4 as a first bike. The odds, however, statistically are against you.
So, trying to use logic and motivation as a method to answer this one here is a suggestion:
Buy a smaller capacity bike, like the Kawasaki 250 Ninja. Don't limit ownership of that bike to time. Base it on miles travelled. Set a distance that you ride that bike for then, once that goal is reached, feel free to upgrade. Ride the Kawasaki with discipline, as you would the F4.
Stay safe & take care.
What distance should you ride the Kawasaki?
My advice would be at least 8,000 miles.
You'd be surprised how soon you get there.
Dave.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #7 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 AM

Risk analysis

Big probability of hurting yourself and third party.

By virtue of the fact that you are asking the question
you already know the answer.

How would you feel if the next time you get on airplane they tell you at check in that the pilot had five hours in a Cessna 152 ?

Slowly slowly catch a monkey ; )

Joe
post #8 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVOne View Post
Hi everyone. For those who dont already know Ive been thinking about getting an F4. Though theres something I didnt mention specifically to avoid what I think you're all going to tell me as many people have. Only experience I have is on mopeds.

So is a litre bike like an F4 too much for a first bike? I do see why pretty much everyone says I will kill myself. I get it, it goes from 0 to very fast in mere seconds and all it takes is someting like a wrong twist of the throttle.

But, and I know others have probably said this before, but can't I just be careful, ride maturely and safely and still get this bike. I would be inclined to do so if only because of the price of an F4 let alone my safety. Where do you all stand on this? Do you think there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I should get one?
With the greatest of respect, you are seriously saying that your two wheeled experience is based on time spent riding a moped?

You are asking would it be a good idea if you went from riding a moped to a very focused 1000cc superbike with around 170bhp and capable of nearly 190 mph.............

Are you are being for real:-
post #9 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Established Member

I am going to say go for it, you want an F4 buy it In my country(spain) this would not be posible, we have to have some years of experience before being able to drive a 100cv+ bike.
you want it to make it more forgivven to you? you can make changes to the bike, use a smaller tire on the rear, 180 or 170 and buy a microtec ecu and ask chrish(xbikes) to make you a detuned map for you. buy some good protectors for forks and frame(chasis), buy and extra fairing(cheap) and keep the original for better times.....
But be aware that insurance is going to be a nightmare...

regards
Andoni

PD: if you kill yourself, dont blame me

Last edited by mvidia; 05-07-2012 at 04:31 AM.
post #10 of 190 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvidia View Post
I am going to say go for it, you want an F4 buy it In my country(spain) this would not be posible, we have to have some years of experience before being able to drive a 100cv+ bike.
you want it to make it more forgivven to you? you can make changes to the bike, use a smaller tire on the rear, 180 or 170 and buy a microtec ecu and ask chrish(xbikes) to make you a detuned map for you. buy some good protectors for forks and frame(chasis), buy and extra fairing(cheap) and keep the original for better times.....
But be aware that insurance is going to be a nightmare...

regards
Andoni

PD: if you kill yourself, dont blame me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode