Need some advice.... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Need some advice....

Guys,

So been under a black cloud lately....boss is a moron, car got hit in the parking lot and to top it all off, the Brutale has been in the shop. The typical gas leak after the connector failed. So I also thought I would get the valves checked. Long story short, after two weeks, I get it back today - btw, it was a perfect late fall day for riding, sunny and 80 degrees F. I ride maybe 5 miles, look down and see smoke and oil streaming out and down the left side and soaking my boot. I pull off and look to see where it's coming from. I see immediately - the mechanic had left one of the valve cover bolts completely off. it was simply hanging out. It's back at the shop obviously while they clean it up.

I'm seriously trying to control a rage inside right now. A) tightening ALL bolts is motorcycle mech school 101. B) my engine could have been damaged if I hadn't noticed immediately, but most importantly, C) I could have GONE DOWN since there was oil all over my rear tire.

So I need some advice on how to handle this. What would you do in this case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Maybe a talk with the owner to have his service tech do a full inspection. It would probably help to keep a cool head first and try not to get the tech in trouble. Honest mistake, you know. The idea being to get the service tech to own up to the oversight w/o fear of getting in trouble. He'd to a better job that way.

If the owner/dealer refuses to do the inspection for free, then I'd say raise hell with Cagiva USA and the BBB.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 05:35 PM

Yeah, be firm but keep a cool head, that will get you farther than screaming obscenities. Talk to the owner/manager. I would be furious too, that really sucks.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM

It sucks when you have so few choices for service. Ducati of NY charged me twice what they estimated for service once and their excuse was "It took us longer than we thought it would"!!!! What's the point of an estimate then?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 05:41 PM

Tell them you want to see the bike with the top off again, the bolts that hold the cam cover on bolt directly into the top cam bearing support/bearing, if the bolt comes out that particular bearing will have no oil pressure, it will probably be OK, but best checked I feel

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk
Tell them you want to see the bike with the top off again, the bolts that hold the cam cover on bolt directly into the top cam bearing support/bearing, if the bolt comes out that particular bearing will have no oil pressure, it will probably be OK, but best checked I feel
Are you sure about that? The cam bearing caps are held in place by a bolt on either side, the valve cover bolt screws into a hole tapped into the center of the cap. The valve cover bolts hold the valve cover in place, not the cam bearing cap. Where's the oil pressure loss?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop
Are you sure about that? The cam bearing caps are held in place by a bolt on either side, the valve cover bolt screws into a hole tapped into the center of the cap. The valve cover bolts hold the valve cover in place, not the cam bearing cap. Where's the oil pressure loss?
"the valve cover bolt screws into a hole tapped into the center of the cap"

as you say above, however, but, the tapped hole is not blind, it goes straight through the cam bearing cap to the bearing surface itself.
I'll post two pics from James's bike, the first one is number two cap, this one supplies the oil from the head drilling to the inside of the cam, the cam has a machined groove all the way around it's bearing surface on this No2 bearing to allow constant feed to the camshafts hollow insides, you can see the added aluminium oilways cast into this cap, also notice the tapped hole that holds the cam cover on.
The oil then goes through the hollow cam and exits through oil holes within the cams bearing surface (pic2), if the cam cover bolt falls out evey time the holes line up oil will squirt out, if it was the cam cover bolt above number two bearing cap (where all the cam bearings oil originates from) I think the engine may be in trouble as virtually no oil would get to the remaining cam bearings.
I'm not sure about the MV engine, but a lot of cam feeds are also restricted, so any oil that escapes from the cams oil pressure circuit is not a good thing

I have just found a 3rd pic from e-bay that shows the through holes, also notice the main oil feeds on the top housing (which is No2 cap)
Attached Images

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mikef4uk; 11-12-2006 at 09:23 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 04:31 AM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
Those are thinks by CRAZY man......
certaily I was FURIOUS if I was in this situation...
pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Thanks Mike. I didn't look that closely when I checked my valve lash, I assumed they were blind holes.

Last edited by Koop; 11-12-2006 at 03:18 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop
Thanks Mike. I didn't look that closely when I checked my valve lash, I assumed they were blind holes.
Glad I could help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode