71 MVs at the Mecum Auction -- August 18, 2012 in Monterey - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
71 MVs at the Mecum Auction -- August 18, 2012 in Monterey

http://www.mecum.com/mvagusta/

During the 2012 Monterey auction at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, Mecum will offer this breath-taking group of 71 motorcycles - the most comprehensive and complete collection of MV Agusta motorcycles in the world. The collection in its entirety represents the complete post-war history of Italian motorcycle including the legendary first year production 1946 MV 98cc "3 Velocita" and early factory team race bikes, to limited production F4 superbikes of the 21st century.

My goodness! I'll want to be there. Great collection up for grabs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Wow - I stayed at the Hyatt Regency & played golf at Del Monte in Sept 2000 now 12 years later OMG is is a far more wonderful place. I wonder who's collection it is?

I am thinking a quick as a flash trip to the US is on the cards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 AM

I started reading through some of the infomation about the collection only to find it is Gary Kohs bikes that are up for sale, but then he is the only person I know who has that many MVs covering such a diverse range of models. He has a website with all the bikes listed.

Hopefully, the collection can stay as one and not be sold to 70 different people as I doubt there will be a another simialr assembly of MVs anywhere else in the world except perhaps the MV museum.

Hmm ... I wonder how you go about winning a big, actually very big lotto?
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM

The Best

One of the more interesting things to see when you're in Monterey/Carmel are the vehicles at the auction and on the road. Every year, huge semis pull up and proceed to unload some of the most precious cars you've ever seen. The owners stand there, collect their car, then proceed to drive them 0.2 miles to the hotel or take it for a spin on 17-mile drive. Every year, the parking in front of Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills, Spy Glass and Pebble Beach are reserved for exotic collections. If I remember correctly, the Saleen S7 collection is at Spanish Bay. If you've never been, keep in mind that 17-mile drive is strictly for show and tell - no speeding. The road is full of braking tourists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. The combination of coastal twisties and humidity-free weather make this a must stop for any serious motorcycle or car enthusiast. Check it out, then head south down Highway 1, inland to Carmel Valley Ranch, or North into the Santa Cruz hills.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post

My goodness! I'll want to be there. Great collection up for grabs!
Selling MV .net must of been worth it !!!!

Just counting my £1 coins....... Mmmmm not much chance of buying anything !!!

"We are not here for a long time, we are here for a good time" Guy Martin Road Racer.....
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidWhy View Post
One of the more interesting things to see when you're in Monterey/Carmel are the vehicles at the auction and on the road. Every year, huge semis pull up and proceed to unload some of the most precious cars you've ever seen. The owners stand there, collect their car, then proceed to drive them 0.2 miles to the hotel or take it for a spin on 17-mile drive. Every year, the parking in front of Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills, Spy Glass and Pebble Beach are reserved for exotic collections. If I remember correctly, the Saleen S7 collection is at Spanish Bay. If you've never been, keep in mind that 17-mile drive is strictly for show and tell - no speeding. The road is full of braking tourists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. The combination of coastal twisties and humidity-free weather make this a must stop for any serious motorcycle or car enthusiast. Check it out, then head south down Highway 1, inland to Carmel Valley Ranch, or North into the Santa Cruz hills.
Yep... I go there every year during monterey car week! Amazing collection of cars you see on the road, not counting the ones in the shows! 250 GTOs worth millions driving about last year!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM

WTF? I just saw this collection last spring at a museum. Is it going to be split up?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM

It will be interesting to see what price it fetches or if it doens't sell at all.
Especially during these financial times

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to drmasis
What a collection

My brother and I won the auction at the Stamford Museum for his Turismo Rapido 125cc a few years back, very nice man with an incredible collection! I hope it's not being sold for health reasons.

06 F4CC
09 F4 1078RR
15 Multi 1200S
“Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”
― William Saroyan
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 PM

I guess the collection is complete and there is no more excitement for a collector as Gary is. He was so passionate for MV's like no one before and had probably a blast of a time collecting the bikes in Europe. The bikes of his collection are in sensational optical conditions. Alone I fear he spended tons of money which he will most likely not see anymore. At auctions will peoples go for the cherries only. The fours or the racers and early two strokers maybe. But even fours are not going to be sold for the phantasy prices for which they are advertised Today. The more common little bikes will go for small money, if they go at all. It is a shame that Gary decided to give up on it and I guess the two fantastic exhibits were the last we had a chance to see the eintire assembly. I was at Stamford and I will never forget his collection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode