ADMIN HELP*!Tracing a bike back in the Registry for history - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
ADMIN HELP*!Tracing a bike back in the Registry for history

For all the admins here, Is there anyway to trace an MV back to the original owner in the registry?
Here is my problem, I just took possession of an 07 R that was sold to me as flawless never wrecked, not a scratch, never in rain etc. The bike was shipped from TX to NC and it has been in my garage for less than 12 hours. After getting the bike in the garage, I discovered that not only had the bike been down on the left side, but it had been repaired as well. Also find out the seller says he bought the bike with 3900 miles on it and was told by the dealer he bought it from that it was perfect.
The person who sold it to me is a member of the forum, and the bike is in the registry under his name. Can you tell me from the vin(I will pm it to you) who the fist owner was? here is a cut from the registry

Number of owners: 2
Color: Charcoal/ Silver
Vin: ######
Odometer: 3912 mi

(obviously only if the first owner was a member of the forum, and registered the bike) so that I might be able to prove that this didn't happen in my possession.

Thanks for any help you may be able to lend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Ian...is there a service like Car Fax for motorcycles?

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Dang.
I'm not aware of any way to access the entire owner history of an MV through the registry.
I don't live in the USA but can you request a title trace from an appropriate government or state department? Or use Chuck's suggestion above.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Big Randaddy

Ian, by way of employment, I am an auto dealer,so I might actually know what I'm talking about here. As a practical matter, it doesn't matter as to the chain of ownership on your bike. Who wrecked it does not matter. Your only recourse (if you have any at all) is via the person that sold it to you. The apparent fact that your seller was misinformed by the previous dealer has no bearing.

The seller chose to represent the bike as undamaged, and you chose to accept his representation. At least one of you (you for sure, and the seller quite possibly) didn't verify the facts. If your seller is of high moral character, he may choose to take the bike back or make a financial concession to you, based on the Golden Rule, but I'm guessing legally, you don't have much to stand on. Caveat emptor.

I have unknowingly sold many a vehicle with damage during my career. In every case, I make no claim whatsoever as to the crash damage condition, because I frequently just don't know of any damage. I've always offered the opportunity for my customer to have the vehicle inspected prior to delivery.

All of that being said, I've refunded a purchase or made a concession in price many times over a 35 year career. In my book, it's the right thing to do morally, and makes good business sense in the long run. Happy customers are better for business. If you are dealing with an individual that is several hundred miles from you that is not employed professionally in the motorcycle sales business, then their since of fairness is the only litmus test that applies.

Good luck....maybe your seller believes in good Karma.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Ian...is there a service like Car Fax for motorcycles?
no, carfax has some random motorcycle records if they were reported, but they have no solid database
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
I love reading Randy's posts when he has his car sales hat on.
He's a legend.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Perhaps you should contact the forum member you bought it from. If I understand your post, he bought it from the dealer with 3900 miles on it and sold it to you with 3912 miles on it?

You've had the bike less than 12 hours and you noticed the damage, it is unlikely the previous owner was unaware of the damage when he sold it to you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM

yes, talk to the man,,and I feel like getting back on a plane to the States now and buying a car off Randy.. : )

joe
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Established Member

Is the bike gloss black and went though the Charlotte dealership? Is the body of the fairing tilted toward the right side? Is the front fender cracked? If so I might be able to help you. In NC if a bike was damaged beyond 25% of it value you are by law to disclaim it as repaired, unlike the Ga. laws. Mark.

Last edited by Schoolbusbob; 03-05-2012 at 04:41 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolbusbob View Post
Is the bike gloss black and went though the Charlotte dealership? Is the body of the fairing tilted toward the right side? Is the front fender cracked? If so I might be able to help you. In NC if a bike was damaged beyond 25% of it value you are by law to disclaim it as repaired, unlike the Ga. laws. Mark.
Unfortunately Bob no, I bought it from Texas on eBay auction and it was shipped here so I don't think the North Carolina rules apply but good to know

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode