accessories - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

accessories

Hey guys, I have sort of a general question abut accessories. Ok maybe a few...

What accessories do you most frequently buy for your bike(s)?

What do you look for when deciding what to buy (i.e.styling, weight, cost functionality, uniqueness)?

Is there anything that you've tried to buy that you can't find for the MV (or other bikes)?

Thanks for your replies.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
the question we need you to answer is:
... what are YOUR goals for that bike?
and what is it about your bike that you'd like to be a bit "different" or "better?"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 PM

Rob, if by accessories you mean carbon replacement bits, exhausts and the like, then my fav have been carbon replacement parts for the plastic bits on the stock F4.
On my 'S', I only used MVsp carbon (and a huge premium) but it made me feel good.
However on my Senna, mmost of those bits are now carbon, I have only added the lower radiator guard so far, I will leave this bike in stock trim as itsjust a perfect design, Oh and the rad bit was from emoto, and I was very impressed with the finish and the fit was spot on! Well done emoto!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, here is my situation. I have recently completed an engineering degree and am looking to start up a business designing aftermarket parts and accesories for bikes. I would like to produce high end parts for high end bikes. I am a little torn between doing stuff for the MV or Ducati, but will eventually do both. Engineering is a career change for me, but the money is significantly less than what I make as a nurse. I currently have a lot of free time and security in my current career where starting my own business seems like the way to go. I want to start slow and build the business over time, hence the accessories start. I'm trying to gauge what you guys would be interested in getting which you don't feel are currently available.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:05 PM

What do you want to work with? Composites? Metals? Hardware/software like data acquisition?

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:15 PM

I'm an engineer as well and would LOVE to have the balls to start an MV/Ducati aftermarket parts manufacturing company! Good luck!

A suggestion: Rearview mirrors that have factory appearance but allow you to see more than just your elbows.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
as James asked above,
what is your particular area of interest?
i'm sure we can think of SOMETHING to get you started

good luck

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:45 PM

Body paneling -specifically the right mid-fairing.

I'm joking but in all seriousness, body paneling, levers, pegs, and mirror I think are some highly desirable offerings. A replacement mid fairing is $700 from the dealer and there aren't any other companies offering regular panels for the MV in the States. Casoli USA use to. Levers are in the $100 to $1250 range also. and even a tip over can break these. I'm spending close to $1,000 to repair the lever, panel, and clip on from when I drop my bike at 1 mph!

So, I would say there's a market for inexpensive body paneling that's already painted to match the bike (red, silver, black, and blue for the most part). Then, you can extend your product line to include carbon fiber replacements. If you partner with a good painter, you can offer custom paint bodyworks. In regards to levers, you can then branch out to other billet pieces.

Another option would be a tail mounted camera with a monitor integrated into one of the MV's mirror housing. There's already a power source since the mirrors also house the turn signals. You could probably use a camera that transmits a short range signal to the monitor. I started to draw up the idea for that two years ago but just don't have the technical expertise to really pull it off. So, feel free. I would be nice to really see what's going on behind us at stop lights.

In terms of market, there are more Ducatis out there but there are less aftermarket supplier for MVs -at least based in the U.S.

Also, in terms of marketing, I think forums like Speedzilla and MVAgusta.net would be the best place for national market and then local forums for more specific areas. Being a board sponsor and having a banner would be a big plus.

In terms of dealers, they mentioned they buy their parts directly from MV Agusta USA so they won't be interested in reselling parts (ie: my original panel). So, I don't think you'll get much interest from dealers AT LEAST in terms of stock replacement. HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure they'd be interested in custom parts (which there aren't too many).

Ultimately, I think the two factors with replacement for stock parts is how well does it compare to what comes from the factory and the price. With custom parts, it's the same thing plus how good is the design.

Last edited by Allan Gibbs; 11-09-2006 at 03:53 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I will most likely start with building the typical billet stuff, rearsets, clip-ons etc. but plan to move into the realm of composites. My degree(s) are in mechanical engineering and materials science and engineering. Stock body panels are a bit more difficult to justify mainly due to the cost of tooling, so I would probably just produce composites parts. Eventually I would like to produce structural composite parts but that is probably a few years away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode