Leaking battery, anyone had one? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
X81

Leaking battery, anyone had one?

Can't say too much but was wondering if anyone had had a brand new battery fitted to their F4 that had leaked acid straight away and if so what manufacturer and what damage was done. Also what was/is the outcome.

Don't post here if you don't want to but a PM would be cool.

Got a bit of a situation developing and currently up against the mite of a large corporation in mass denial mode so looking for other instances of this happening if there are any.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 AM

New Site Garage
Frenaugo

Speak to that man Chris - Ricc on the UK forum !

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 AM

New Site Garage
I have not had one. Do recall seeing some pictures on here of a F4 which had the battery leak all over the swingarm and shock.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Matty
i had the previous owner of my bike force one in without taking the tank off and it cracked a corner without me knowing. After a few days i noticed a drip or 2 on my swingarm and figured it out that it was the battery...luckily it only left a few fainted color drip marks

Matty
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Exclamation

Chris

You ain't seen me right : http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43992

EMAIL :
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 PM

Chris,
It happened to me twice on my Brutales.
In 2005 on my 750S, battery acid leaked all over the swingarm. It was fixed under warranty by the then importer. Swingarm replaced.
Last year, same thing happened to my 910R ater a new battery had been fitted at service time. I don't remember the brand but can find out if you wish. It took a while, but my service centre (MWeaponry) eventually got the battery manufacturer to accept liability and bear costs. Swingarm was resprayed at no cost to me.
Btw any update on your trip?
Cheers.
Michel

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Established Member

wow , i know this text by heart, i have been reading this same thing all morning long.....
you aply this wax to everything or what???

Quote:
Originally Posted by F41NXS View Post
if any damage due to leaked acid, try this stuff:
Carnauba wax is carnauba wax whether or not you pay 10 dollars for 8 oz's or 100 dollars its still the same carnauba wax. Polymer synthetic wax is a step up from Carnauba but still old technology when compared to the new products that are being produced. Lets put it this way, Carnauba wax was used to polish the horse and buggy (well not the horse but the buggy LOL!), and Carnauba wax is highly acidic, melts in direct sunlight cuz it has a very low melting point and when it does this it speeds up the oxidation process of the paint by superheating and frying the paint. Polymers (like Teflon) were introduced in the 60's. They are a step above Carnauba wax but still not as good as Glassplexin. Polymers don't filter out UV rays and they can crack fade and peel within 1 years time. Also Polymer wax has a low melting point, granted its not as low as carnauba wax, but its no where near GLARE's. GLARE is good up to 650 degs F so you can polish your exhaust pipes and it wont burn off. Try that with carnauba wax or synthetic wax and see what happens. I'll give you a clue, it doesn't look or smell good at all. LOL! GLARE with Glassplexin is the only product out there that actually bonds to the clearcoat or paint via, what's called in chemistry, a covalent bond. Waxes and polymers do not bond to paint molecularly. They only lay on top of the paint and do not last.
Glassplexin is a negatively charged silicate ionic compound that has chemical reactivity with the clearcoat or paint. When applied there is an exchange of electrons that occurs between the negative charged Glassplexin and the paint or clear coat bonding the two into one molecule. This transformation gives the paint a new chemical identity that now shares the properties of both paint and glass. Because of this, the newly transformed paint has a depth of gloss that is so optically clear that the gloss looks 3 dimensional. Not only that but the surface tension is increased, the new paint surface is super slick, and because it now shares glass properties it will filter UV rays because glass will filter out 98% of the suns UVA and UVB rays. There are test reports from Labs all over the world on this product including from HONDA.
This is all information I learned from doing research on polishes and waxes since I am so anal about what I use on my bikes and cars. I mean if you still want to use old inferior wax products then go for it. But 10 years down the road when your paint looks dingy and oxidized after applying so many coats of stuff that melts and ruins your paint and the other guy who used GLARE on his bike has a bike that looks better then the day that he bought it you will kick yourself in the pants. That's why I chose very carefully what I use and if I had a $20,000 bike (which I will very shortly and I cant wait ) then I would make sure that I use the absolute best and without a doubt after trying everything out there and I mean EVERYTHING I would never use anything but GLARE.
If Mitch Lanzini from Overhaulin uses GLARE on the custom FOOSE design Hot Rods that FOOSE has him paint in light of the fact that Mother's is paying FOOSE millions to endorse their product, that should tell you what the best product for your MV is.
It doesn't cost $100 a bottle but its not the cheapest product out there either. I believe it goes for around $30 for a 12 oz. bottle, but I know from personal experience that it is a very concentrated product and I get about 3-4 small cars out of one bottle so IMHO its well worth every penny. Let's put it this way you CANT NOT afford not to use it given the benefits vs the price of the one bottle. Did I mention that they also have the best swirl removing product, called GLARE Spider, I've ever used as well? Well they do. These chemists over there are on a roll. Also the GLARE Professional Polish can be used on not only the paint but also on Carbonfiber, glass, plastic, plexiglass, the clear windshields on bikes, Fiberglass, Aluminum, Chrome, and all metal alloys. The GLARE Turbo Action Wheel Cleaner is also another superb product from them. I use it for cleaning the brakedust, road grime, and chain grease sling and its a non acid base formula so you can use it without worying about if its going to damage the finish of your wheels or paint. Its also an Awesome product from GLARE!!! Everything they make is the best hands down!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Unhappy

It's a terrible happenings! I hope your bike get well soon...
Lithium batteries are necessarily for all bikes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 PM

New Site Garage
Ducati had warranty repair on many 2002 Monsters for leaking batteries - pretty sure it was Yuasa. I can find out if you want - a friend of mine had engine / head parts (maybe the engine case?) replaced under warranty on his limited edition Foggy Monster when the battery acid damaged it.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM

Has anyone use Lithium type battery? These battery should be about 1/2 the size of the original battery and could be mounted upright.

This could be an alternative to using the standard battery and gambling that it would not leak.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode