Weights Confirmed, BST and Brembos - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Weights Confirmed, BST and Brembos

$3759.44 BST 7-Spoke Black Mamba's F. 5.48lbs, R. 5.96lbs 11.44lbs Combined, they are the lightest.
BST 5-Spoke about $400 less (or more depends on where you look)and weigh 1 lb more Combined.

$3520.00 Brembo Y-Spoke Ultra Lights Aluminium Forged F. 6.4lbs, R. 7.0lbs 13.4lbs Combined

So anyone with a 2007 and later MV has really light rims, almost as light as you can get. So unless you want the "bling" factor, not sure it is worth the cost.

These weights are from the websites. The difference between the 2 sets is 2 lbs. This is correct. The difference is in where the weight is. Brembo's #s are right. BST's are wrong. There is only 1/2lb difference in the front and 1.5 lbs dif in the back.

In recent tests, BST carbon Race wheels were compared to team supplied GP wheels (wheels were the same size and for the same motorcycle):
Carbon race front wheel was 15% lighter but had a 25% better inertia figures.
Carbon race rear wheel was 10% lighter but had 33% better inertia figures.

When comparing wheels and weights, it is not always the overall weight that matters, but rather the weight distribution in each particular wheel which affects the performance of the wheel. A lighter rim = better performance. Carbon wheels generally have much lighter rims and carry the bulk of their weight in the hub – and the hub has little effect on the performance of the wheel. Often, unfair comparisons are made between wheels which are completely different e.g. a forged magnesium race wheel versus carbon road wheel, which is designed for road use. Interestingly, even if they did weigh the same, the carbon wheel will still have better performance – remember the lighter rim. In most cases the carbon road wheel is still lighter than a forged race wheel: the carbon part of a BST road front wheel weighs only + 1.450 kg. Of that, the outer rim is only + 1.100kg. The completed wheel weighs between 2.2 kg and 2.4 kg (depending on the motorcycle). Therefore you have a wheel with an incredibly light rim and the weight of the hub at the centre, which gives you a truly high performance wheel.
To get a proper picture, compare apples with apples: ie compare a 16.5”carbon race wheel to a 16.5” magnesium race wheel . The size of the wheel makes a fundamental difference as the distance from the rim to the hub affects the performance (more on this later), and of course more material is used to produce the bigger wheel, thus increasing its weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Established Member

I was only wondering the other day what the weight difference would be between the Brembo forgies and the BSTs. Interesting, good to know, thanks.

Brutale 1078
Ducati Dramah...um...I mean Darmah
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchaplin4 View Post

In recent tests, BST carbon Race wheels were compared to team supplied GP wheels (wheels were the same size and for the same motorcycle):
Carbon race front wheel was 15% lighter but had a 25% better inertia figures.
Carbon race rear wheel was 10% lighter but had 33% better inertia figures.

When comparing wheels and weights, it is not always the overall weight that matters, but rather the weight distribution in each particular wheel which affects the performance of the wheel. A lighter rim = better performance. Carbon wheels generally have much lighter rims and carry the bulk of their weight in the hub – and the hub has little effect on the performance of the wheel. Often, unfair comparisons are made between wheels which are completely different e.g. a forged magnesium race wheel versus carbon road wheel, which is designed for road use. Interestingly, even if they did weigh the same, the carbon wheel will still have better performance – remember the lighter rim. In most cases the carbon road wheel is still lighter than a forged race wheel: the carbon part of a BST road front wheel weighs only + 1.450 kg. Of that, the outer rim is only + 1.100kg. The completed wheel weighs between 2.2 kg and 2.4 kg (depending on the motorcycle). Therefore you have a wheel with an incredibly light rim and the weight of the hub at the centre, which gives you a truly high performance wheel.
To get a proper picture, compare apples with apples: ie compare a 16.5”carbon race wheel to a 16.5” magnesium race wheel . The size of the wheel makes a fundamental difference as the distance from the rim to the hub affects the performance (more on this later), and of course more material is used to produce the bigger wheel, thus increasing its weight.
Here are the numbers I like to see. It is the true weight of the wheel. Just think of the feeling when you combine these rims with some super light weight rotors like the CMC
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=jchaplin4
$3520.00 Brembo Y-Spoke Ultra Lights Aluminium Forged F. 6.4lbs, R. 7.0lbs 13.4lbs Combined

So anyone with a 2007 and later MV has really light rims, almost as light as you can get. So unless you want the "bling" factor, not sure it is worth the cost.

[/QUOTE]

Does every MV Agusta from 2007 until Today have really Brembo Ultralights or Marchesini Superlights ? In my eyes many of the models had standard forged Marchesini's or the 2010+ have quite heavy Stars.

I got some Marchesini Superlights, from a nice Forum member, for $1500 and they made a hugh difference on my 2001 F4S. I personally wouldn't trust Carbon wheels on my bike, which is used preliminary on back roads. But I think even for track use I could perfectly live with Brembo or Marchesini, the super light stuff. Especially since You can get them for a fraction of the BST Carbon price.

However it is a very informative post and I appreciate Your inside view.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

My 2009 had the ultralights which is why I mentioned them specifically because I weighed the bare side by side w the black mambas. I thought all the newer MVs came w them but maybe not. The older star rims are like 25 lbs combined weight. So either rim would be a huge improvement. It is cold here so no dipping corners till spring so can't feel a difference yet. It makes it to 100 mph farking fast though. Will post more info as it comes available.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Established Member

outstanding... thanks.

----
Those wishing to tame lions should attend carefully the difference between domestication and sophisticated food gathering techniques.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up Okay here goes my 10cents too Jason

Marchesini is owned by Bremo as far as I understand. So essentialy they are the same thing, as far as the Ultralights or Superlights go at least. I would love to know which is the proper name, might do some research here.
I also found these on Al's site and would love to see what they look like on a bike.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 01-26-2012 at 01:39 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:16 AM

New Site Garage
Donsy
They are almost the same weight as the BST. I too would like to see them on someones bike.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 AM

See attached link:
http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagusta...reations.html#
Bottom left.

Brutale not an F4!

Dave

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up +100

I like it, must look great from the other side.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode