finger tip numbness after riding - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

finger tip numbness after riding

hi, new to f4 type bike... i noticed that after i ride for an hour or so, my right index finger tip gets numb/tingling/painful... i know it's something to do with weight on wrist from riding position....first i thought it was my glove but i was fine on less aggressive bike (due ss 800)....

how do i remedy that? i heard something about core strengthening, grab the bike with knee more, less weight on handle bar/wrist...etc...

pls advise,

james R
02 f4 750 e2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 AM

Everyone will have their own view, but generally yes it is more than likely excess weight on your wrists whilst riding. (Could simply be vibration through your clip ons, but doubtfull).

I believe that this is primarily down to the body's position on the bike, gripping the throtlle too tight etc etc.

Yours arms ideally need to be near to parallel with the ground and to start with you need to conciously relax on the bike. Easier said than done, I know especially when riding in built up areas where your speed would be lower than on the open road.

Gripping the tank with your kness (upper thighs if you are long legged, like Ben Spies!) helps to acheive a degree of relaxation and can be especially usuful under braking ('Stomp' grips I have found are excellent for helping with this).

In short, read some articles from the web and have someone take pictures of you riding so that you can see what your body positioning is like. It was not until I went on a track day, convinced I was buried behing the screen of my old R6, that I then saw some pictures of me looking like a wooden board apparently almost bolt upright! I found you really have to exagerate everything to acheive proper positioning.

Then compare those pictures to what you have read and those of advanced road riders/racers and you will quickly see where your position is wrong, if at all.

It is finding a happy medium, as clearly you do not need to adopt the pose of a racer when riding on some roads, but I think by learning to relax your body will go a long way to help with your problem.

I am sure others will agree disagree and have additional advice to share, but I hope that the above helps a little and maybe confirms what you already know.

Dave

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France

Last edited by JerseyBrut; 01-20-2012 at 02:59 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 05:09 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Dave,really good advice mate,it might help me as well with the pain in my right wrist over long distance,good on you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 AM

Vibration can cause carpal tunnel issues where the nerves pass through the wrist bones it's all rather cramped and prone to problems of swelling and consequent nerve irritation. In the mining industry they use alot of pneumatic eqt and the injury is called white finger syndrome.

I consciously keep my elbows slightly flexed ie not locked when in cruise mode..Obviously control is better anyway with elbows not locked ...This means vibes and shocks are absorbed by your manly biceps and triceps and not just your tiny wrist bones.

On my Beemer I have a little throttle friction screw fitted and I can cruise with hand off the throttle ie give it a rest ..It's a great feature...

The other thing to do is wear a tennis players wrist support...tubiflex..works wonders to support the wrist.

joe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
I'm over 6 foot and find the F4 a bike I can sit relatively upright on. As a result there is less weight on my wrists in a riding position, however, on longer rides the inevitable will happen - the numbness you describe will set in.
I've found that a good strategy is to preempt the onset of numbness by "listening" to what your body is relaying to you before it becomes an issue. By that I mean that the feeling of numbness will come over a period of time - not suddenly. A long time ago I found that any time I get the chance to change hand positions on the bars - normally on a relatively long stretch of straight road. I sit a bit further upright and ride for a short time just using my fingertips & thumbs. You don't have to do this for long but it's important to do it before your wrists & hands are giving you any feeling of numbness. As soon as you approach a series of corners or a potential hazard revert back to your normal riding position & grip on the bars.

Other variables that can contribute to reducing the amount of time before numbness of the hands manifests are gloves that are too tight or tenseness in the body, especially the arms.

Stay safe and take care,
Dave.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
I had this originally on my left hand but it was my thumb and soreness in the joint. I found that if I focused on being all of the way back on the seat and sharing more weight across my body instead of my arms most of the time resolved it. I was really just putting a lot of pressure in a hot spot.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrho View Post
how do i remedy that? i heard something about core strengthening, grab the bike with knee more, less weight on handle bar/wrist...etc...
Bingo! I think you've said it all right thurr...

Basically, support your upper body with your core (& knees as needed) as much as possible. Ideally, you'll take ALL the weight off of your hands. And keep your shoulders/elbows/arms/wrists/hands/fingers nice and loose! Oh, and your grip, too.

Otherwise...ibuprofen??

** DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY ** There is no way to happiness; happiness is the way **

B4 1078RR
996 X50
958.2 GTS
FZJ80
1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

riding position

ok, tnx for all the replies...it was a bit worrisome cause the finger tip was quite annoyingly painful /numb....i type a lot so it bothered me....

anyway, it never happened with my due supersport 800 .....until the mv f4....different enough riding position.....

well, gonna do all above stuff...do some planks to get stronger abs, grab the bike with knees, conscientiously take pressure off the wrist/hand ...

thanks all the replies....

james R
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Great advice by all of you,when I rode to the Moto GP on my 1078,5,000km round trip the most pain I had was my right wrist,left wrist was fine,sometimes I almost had to stop the pain got so bad,the only way I could relieve the pain was to rest the palm of my hand on the throttle,but that is hard on a F4 to keep control of the throttle,so in the future on long hauls I will get my little brain to tell my body to change elbow angle and grip position.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 AM

I put these grips on my F4 and it made a big difference, perfect fit and they look cool to. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my left wrist from spray painting it really sux.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DUCATI-74...item58906bda98

Someone once asked me if I was "out of my mind". To which I replied "of course I am, as its dark & scary in their".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode