Inconel Race Exhaust ?.. Does anyone have any knowledge about this material ? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Question Inconel Race Exhaust ?.. Does anyone have any knowledge about this material ?

Hi Guys

Inconel Race Exhaust systems !..

Does anyone have any knowledge about this material ?..

I'm thinking about having an exhaust system made for my bike, and someone happen to suggest "Inconel" as a material..

I know sweet Fanny Adams about this material and would like to know what can happen with age and heat.. Does this material discolour with heat and is it heavier than Titanium ?

Those of you with race team experience might have come across this material before or know of someone who has and can help out with some advise..

Any advise would be appreciated !..

What is the positives about using Inconel ?

And what are the negatives about using this material in an exhaust application..

Cheers for your help.

John

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 PM

I can tell you very little about it, but it's what all the F1 teams use.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Al-

Inconel better for heat than stainless and has better resistance to corrosion and chemicals. It is expensive and doesn't seem to weld as nicely as stainless. We've used it a lot for pipe work in our chemical plants

Last edited by Al-; 01-19-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: ...
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Established Member

We use Inconel 718/925 for some applications. It's a Nickel based alloy that has high strength at high temperatures and is corrosion resistant.
It's not a cheap material and it's not easy to machine. It work harderns as it's cut as can become as hard, if not harder than the cutting tools. It can also warp slightly when machined too quickly.

Here is a link to the manufacturers datasheet for it. It's an alloy created by Special Metals http://www.specialmetals.com/documen...lloy%20925.pdf

Last edited by Andy8982; 01-19-2012 at 04:20 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM

John
Inconel is used a lot on exhaust manifolds on turbo applications, where the EGT [exhaust gas temperatures] are huge c900 degrees. I think that you will see almost zero benefits on a naturally aspirated 12500 rpm engine.

F1 engines are operating at huge compression ratios and rev ceilings and of course cost is no consequence to an F1 team.

Allan

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends ?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al- View Post
Inconel better for heat than stainless and has better resistance to corrosion and chemicals. It is expensive and doesn't seem to weld as nicely as stainless. We've used it a lot for pipe work in our chemical plants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy8982 View Post
We use Inconel 718/925 for some applications. It's a Nickel based alloy that has high strength at high temperatures and is corrosion resistant.
It's not a cheap material and it's not easy to machine. It work harderns as it's cut as can become as hard, if not harder than the cutting tools. It can also warp slightly when machined too quickly.

Here is a link to the manufacturers datasheet for it. It's an alloy created by Special Metals http://www.specialmetals.com/documen...lloy%20925.pdf
Cheers guys for all your replies and information..

I've been offered a reasonable deal ( not a good deal, but a reasonable one, if you get my drift) on an Inconel system ..

It is made of Nickel, chrome and Titanium mix.

What I'm afraid of is that it will discolour with heat, and I have been told it will go a horrible grey/greenie colour..

Is this correct, or have I been misinformed? Ö. Can one of you guys confirm this please..

Apparently what Iíve been lead to believe is thatís its heavier than Titanium, but wonít be susceptible to fracture fatigue like titanium..

Cheers Guys

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Al-

inconel is never a "pretty" metal. I don't think i've seen it polished but it heats kinda brown and dull. I would go with polished thinwall stainless personally, or Ti if you'd like to do something special. Care to divulge some additional details of this project? it might make it a little easier to make a recommendation.

F1 header in inconel 625
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr!.

PM sent!

EMAIL :
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Yes it will go brown/greenish/goldish/something...with use, ugly in one word. It can be polished to high gloss like stainless steel. The only real positive is temperature and chemical resistance. F1 teams use only because of of temperatures, everything else would simply melt.

You don't need that much heat resistance, titanium is enough on bikes.

Density is around 8 g/cm3 and titanium is 4.7 g/cm3. If you are building a Superleggera...?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Wink

Cheers man..

I know I should just forget this stupid idea about getting this system, but ...........................

EMAIL :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode