1199 vs. F4RR (One dudes thoughts) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down 1199 vs. F4RR (One dudes thoughts)

So, just came back from my local motorcycle show, and had a chance to view both the 1199 and the F4RR side by side.

As a long time time Ducatista, and new owner of an F4, I have to state my disappointment with Ducati. It seems they have chosen function over form. Have you seen the mirror housings and stem? Absolutely the cheapest brushed black plastic available! Seriously ??!! Two large black wires stick up and out by the rear shock assembly on the left side! Some sort of little black plastic (same cheap material as previously mentioned) housings on either side of the engine just below the tank, which feel like they are fastened with a paper-clip. Also, that ugly exhaust system is a site to behold! Even the paint doesn't have the deep luster it once had. For the price......unacceptable!

Compare the F4RR, where they still remember pride of ownership. They still remember how to combine function with form. Everything is tight, lustrous, functional, and like a jewel. The white paint rich, smooth, and almost silky. They even took the time to paint the mirror housing!

To me, these types of motorbikes are a luxury and not utilitarian. A luxury that probably only 0.01 % of the people that own them can actually ride them and utilize their fantastical function. So why not make it special?

So to MV Agusta I say, "thanks for keeping the dream alive and beautiful". Ducati, " shame on you! Shame on you for becoming a more egotistical Japanese manufacturer!"

My '92 851 wonders what happened to his heritage?!

Just one dudes opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:12 AM

New Site Garage
Good read.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 AM

but the ducati will still destroy the mv when ridden!! and i actually think the panigale looks ok!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Question Seriously Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilboy View Post
but the ducati will still destroy the mv when ridden!! and i actually think the panigale looks ok!
Why does it come equipped with MV heat seeking missiles?

Seriously put Rossi & Stoner on one each and you may see something, other than that the weekend warrior wannabes need to enjoy their bikes more & less, there would be less fatalities too. These are essentially road bikes albeit very fast ones.

The 0.01% Hwood refers to below is spot on. I couldn't ride one to its limits if my life depended on it (and am happy to admit it) & you know what else? I won't allow my life to depend on it For that reason, I am happy they make them special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwood851 View Post

As a long time time Ducatista, and new owner of an F4, I have to state my disappointment with Ducati.

A luxury that probably only 0.01 % of the people that own them can actually ride them and utilize their fantastical function. So why not make it special?

Just one dudes opinion.
I liked your post, nicely written, my apologies for cutting it down, I was using the pertinent bits for devilboy for illustrative purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Agree... sport bikes have long exceeding the skills of the mortals astride them, but there is an HP crazed marketplace who can't think through this.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 AM

I'll keep my 916.

(.....and possibly add an F3 )

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM

I don't think using the MV's mirrors as an example of combining "form with function" is possibly the best part of the bike to pick!

They're a bit like having the wing mirrors of your car mounted to the steering-wheel!!!

The older I get, the faster I was!

Last edited by Almeriman; 01-17-2012 at 02:08 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Lol

That was sarcasm dude.

How you do one thing.....is how you do everything.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeriman View Post
I don't think using the MV's mirrors as an example of combining "form with function" is possibly the best part of the bike to pick!

They're a bit like having the wing mirrors of your car mounted to the steering-wheel!!!

- Very good, well played indeed!

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 AM

Function over form? That's not new with Ducati. It's like 2003 all over again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode