Horrible MV Dealer experience - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Horrible MV Dealer experience

Everyone,

I unfortunately have what is possibly the worst dealer experience anywhere.

I wanted to buy a 748 or 996 and after a long search, I came across what looked like a pristine 2001 748S. The bike was being sold by Unique Superbikes (Unique SBK) in Miami, so after some negotiating, I made the purchase.
The disclosed odometer reading was 14167 miles, but when I took the bike home, After a long ride, I noticed the odometer had not changed. I called the dealer and tried to get some resolution. What is even worse, the engine failed the next morning. Leo, the owner would not even consider taking the bike back and offered to buy the bike back minus the cost to repair it!
I finally trailered the bike to a reputable Ducati mechanic, had it inspected and was told that the bike was likely a lemon when I bought it, and that the engine had potentially many more miles than the disclosed number.
A new odometer cable, coolant reservoir and complete engine reduild later, all at a cost of over $4000 plus the purchase price of $5826 and not only did the dealer not help, but actually sent my registration C.O.D. For and additional $134!
His "way of helping" was to offer me a discount on the labor, if I took the bike over to his shop, which at this point was not an option for me, since the trust was not there any longer.

Yep...getting a lawyer is going to cost me even more, but I just cannot let this guy get away with. Beware, beware!

MarcoM3
2013 MV Agusta F3 675
2012 Ducati Panigale 1199
2013 MV Agusta F4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 07:16 PM

New Site Garage
Sorry to hear mate

My honest opinion of coarse is that you should have taken the bike back the next day and gone straight for legal action, not spend more of your money first and then hope you get it back.
There is no way that was a legal and binding transaction. And a Ducati at that too

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 PM

New Site Garage
You might be able to hold him accountable for selling you a bike with incorrect mileage. Like Donsy stated. I would of not fixed it until it was all settled with the original dealer.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
My honest opinion of coarse is that you should have taken the bike back the next day and gone straight for legal action, not spend more of your money first and then hope you get it back.
There is no way that was a legal and binding transaction. And a Ducati at that too
Donsy, that was the first thing I tried, but he would not take the bike back.

MarcoM3
2013 MV Agusta F3 675
2013 MV Agusta F4
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM

New Site Garage
Post Bastard

That is bad news mate, I know in the US there is certain Lemon laws and I know like us over here there is a thing such as Value for money, where the use of a product is determined by the price, ie, if you pay for something then you should be able to use it for something near the value of what you paid for it.
But in your case this sounds even worse, I can't believe he would not take it back, what went wrong on the bike, I will put money on it that he knew there was something wrong. It's not like you bought a off-road vehicle, there would have to be some warranty involved?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Lemon Law only applies to new vehicles under factory warranty, but there are much more stringent laws regarding misrepresentation of mileage ....good case there but will require expert witness testimony from the tech that fixed the odometer. Bad scene all around! I feel for you!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
This is a six foot put with no breaks. Unless he disclosed that the odometer was not working and that the indicated milage might not be correct, a letter from a lawyer advising him of the shit storm of legal and regulatory action heading his way should change his mind.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 AM

Not sure what the laws in the States are but to get the bike registered it would have to pass a roadworthy. If the speedo is faulty, then how did it get the roadworthy?

In Australia, a motorvehicle trader must be registered/licenced. A friend purchased a car to find she needed new brake pads withing 10,000kms. Taking it back to the dealer he was not very forthcoming with assistance until she said she would go to the licencing authorities with the tale of the dealer selling a vehicle which didn't meet the legal requirements for registration (brake pads must be no less than 50% worn or similar) at which point the brakes were 'instantly' fixed at no cost. Is there are similar authority where you are?

Finally, many many years ago, a 'yank tank' (remember I live in Aus.) was purchased and proved to be a total lemon. After repeated tries to get the vehicle repaired and then replaced the owner had a sign writer write the problems and responses all over the car and then legally parked it outside the dealers. The dealer tried to have the vehicle removed but couldn't and then offered the owner a new vehicle to replace his lemon. The owner politely declined and continued parking the car outside the dealers with the obvious result of effecting the dealers trade. Naurally, the vehicle and the dealer received media attention which obviously didn't help with sales. just a thought.

anyhow, good luck with whtever course of action you take.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoM3 View Post
Everyone,

I unfortunately have what is possibly the worst dealer experience anywhere.

I wanted to buy a 748 or 996 and after a long search, I came across what looked like a pristine 2001 748S. The bike was being sold by Unique Superbikes (Unique SBK) in Miami, so after some negotiating, I made the purchase.
The disclosed odometer reading was 14167 miles, but when I took the bike home, After a long ride, I noticed the odometer had not changed. I called the dealer and tried to get some resolution. What is even worse, the engine failed the next morning. Leo, the owner would not even consider taking the bike back and offered to buy the bike back minus the cost to repair it!
I finally trailered the bike to a reputable Ducati mechanic, had it inspected and was told that the bike was likely a lemon when I bought it, and that the engine had potentially many more miles than the disclosed number.
A new odometer cable, coolant reservoir and complete engine reduild later, all at a cost of over $4000 plus the purchase price of $5826 and not only did the dealer not help, but actually sent my registration C.O.D. For and additional $134!
His "way of helping" was to offer me a discount on the labor, if I took the bike over to his shop, which at this point was not an option for me, since the trust was not there any longer.

Yep...getting a lawyer is going to cost me even more, but I just cannot let this guy get away with. Beware, beware!

He should be brought to book Marco.

I bought a beautiful Honda 750 four a few years back. It was immaculate...looked brand new...The seller knew it had a engine problem...He didn't tell me...

Two weeks after buying it I was fitting a replacement engine..

It really is a case of buyer beware...

I don't know what the legalities are in your neck of the woods but this is your next task..to get best advice on where you stand. Hopefully you will be able to get reasonable compensation.

Personally after my experience I would go right back to the seller as soon as the problem became apparent and demand my money back as the bike is not fit for purpose ...If it ever happens to me again that is what I shall do.

Best of luck
joe

It's a case of buyer beware.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
That is bad news mate, I know in the US there is certain Lemon laws and I know like us over here there is a thing such as Value for money, where the use of a product is determined by the price, ie, if you pay for something then you should be able to use it for something near the value of what you paid for it.
But in your case this sounds even worse, I can't believe he would not take it back, what went wrong on the bike, I will put money on it that he knew there was something wrong. It's not like you bought a off-road vehicle, there would have to be some warranty involved?
Thanks Dons, live and learn.
The bike turned out to have stripped connecting rod bearings, which were caused by a crankshaft out of balance and bent rods. I took it to Chris Boy here in Florida, who by far is the best Ducati/MV/Aprilia mechanic in the region, and also races sponsored by Ducati. He thinks the bike was damaged long before I bought it.
I did do a compression check and it was fine, I also tested the bike, but at slow speeds and only for a few minutes. I figured that if I was buying from an authorized dealer, I would be safe.
The bike is beautiful, and I had been looking for one for a while. I will just spend the money to make it road worthy, and go after the dealer even if I don't get a cent out of him. People like him should not be in business.
Joe, taking the bike right back to him and getting my money was the very first thing I tried, but the guy would not accept.
Attached Images

MarcoM3
2013 MV Agusta F3 675
2013 MV Agusta F4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode