I miss "Two Wheeled Tuesday"... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I miss "Two Wheeled Tuesday"...

You know, say what you want about Greg White, but IMO, TWT was the closest thing to a respectable representation of our world than just about anything else I have seen on the tube.

They covered virtually every niche of our diverse universe, and I actually used to look forward to watching it, especially the racing recaps, guest appearances, and new product reviews.

"Superbikes" blows. Period. Tuesday nights suck wind.

Does anyone know what happened, I missed a memo? It seemed like they decided one week to say, "Next week, tune in for our very last show EVER!"

Was it ratings? Contract issues? Just curious...

Griff
twoeleven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 PM

Miss TWT as well, and never agreed with those in the grandstand taking shots at Greg White. He is a class act... kind, enthusiastic, and genuine on screen and off.

Unsure of the reason it was dropped from the line-up. Perhaps ratings, but it surely drew more of a two wheeled audience versus the offering today.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:41 PM

I think people probably got creeped out by Greg asking the racers whether they wore boxer or briefs (talk about ghey!). Greg's show was simplistic and contrite. His interviews lacked substance and the show basically was an advertising piece for all the product in the backdrop. I don't miss it. What I do miss is two wheeled tuesday. It was a full day devoted to motorcycle programing on the speed channel. I really miss the speed channel... Damn you fox sports, Damn you to hell!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP
I think people probably got creeped out by Greg asking the racers whether they wore boxer or briefs (talk about ghey!). Greg's show was simplistic and contrite. His interviews lacked substance and the show basically was an advertising piece for all the product in the backdrop. I don't miss it. What I do miss is two wheeled tuesday. It was a full day devoted to motorcycle programing on the speed channel. I really miss the speed channel... Damn you fox sports, Damn you to hell!
I guess my point was not that it was the cutting edge of motojournalism, it was just a nice slice of motorcycle in my week. I agree, the entire day of motorcycle related programming was awesome, and I miss it. "Superbikes" is crap.

Griff
twoeleven
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP
What I do miss is two wheeled tuesday. It was a full day devoted to motorcycle programing on the speed channel. I really miss the speed channel... Damn you fox sports, Damn you to hell!
I'm with you. I miss the early years of speedvision. I still have some tapes of the coolest mc programming of all time from TWT. (including vintage IOM race between Hailwood and Ago, World Ducati Weekend, etc).
In my opinion the "Superbikes" show is pretty much aimed at 18-21yoa stuntriders. I would rather watch the often cheesey Harley shows than superbikes.

You gotta be crazy, gotta have a real need....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Established Member

The most recent issue of Car and Driver has a write-up of the Speedvision/Speed network from start-up to current. A good piece of reading even if you only pay attention to the network remotely.

I'm sure most of us would agree that the dumbing down from unique motorsport shows to 75% NASCRAP since the Fox buyout has sucked a big one. Unfortunately, the ratings since the content-conversion back up the decision.

Think about it, a large proportion of sportbike buyers and riders today are either squids, or are teetering on the edge of such. As sad as it is, the new Superbikes show may well draw a larger audience than TWT w/ Greg did, just as the NASCAR programming is garnering a larger audience now than when they were putting forth a more refined product.

It's really too bad......
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 AM

I'm 100% sure that "Superbikes" draws more viewership than TWT did. For the same reason that NASCAR draws more than F1 in this country.

It's not about substance, it's about sensationalism.

I liked Greg White. Despite what anyone says, he's a fast rider who understands how bikes work. He may not be fast in an AMA context, but he is in a club racing context.

'01 F4S
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 08:57 AM

Oh yeah, our own Turbo329 was on Superbikes once.

I kidded him that he sounded like the only sane person on the show. Which is funny because he's always making these big posts which kind of make him out like a wildman... Heh.

'01 F4S
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 AM

Tuesday nights are killing me!

The half hour commercial (American Thunder)for JP cycles and his great bolt on chrome pieces. And the riveting shots of his "technicians" bolting them on for that great "custom look" makes me scream at the TV. Even Michele Smiths huge cans are getting old!!!

Corbins ride on is no better and the stunt show is wearing thin....how many wheelies can we watch!!!???

Greg White is starting to look good.

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:35 AM

Fire off some emails and calls. I think too often we react too late to effect any real change. After the speedvision>>SpeedTV conversion my wife and I were surely blacklisted from anything even remotely related to FOX - which I can't say I mind in the end.

I think TWT could have developed into a better show with time. I wish they had given it...

We all probably need to do a better job of thanking and rewarding while things are still around to ensure they stay that way! I miss speedvision

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode