Weekend at Bernies...uhh Barber. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Weekend at Bernies...uhh Barber.

I will post pics soon, you will just have to be patient.

Event: Sport Bike Track Time. Date 11/28, 29th.
Weather: Cool upper 40s in morning to upper 60's and probably 70s on sunday afternoon. Clear. Perfect weather, not too hot, not too cold...just the way Goldilocks would have liked it.

I brought to the dance my 02 Ducati 998, shod with street tires (in case of rain) Mich Powers (not 2ct's) and my 05 MV F4 1000 Ago shod in Mich Power Race tires med/soft front and PR5 rear.

I was scheduled for two days in Intermediate. I bought these from a friend who could not attend at the last minute. I felt like this was good as it had been a year since I had last been to a track day and the last time I crashed. I would use this weekend to get back my confidence.

Sat. Morning...cold and couple damp spots on track due to rain last two or three days...GREEN track....decide to take the Duc, but she was mad and the battery was weak, so the ole MV was summoned for duty. Tire warmers off and out we go. The track was definitely very green and cold, but I was able to quickly get up to speed, second session was eyeopener as I almost tucked the front twice, but the ultimate feel of the MV gave me enough advance warning to keep her shiny side up. The intermediate class had a wide range of skill levels which took some getting used to...both slips were the result of quick line changes made to avoid other riders who were running somewhat unpredicatable lines. Anyways, all was good and no incidents.

After lunch, I picked up the pace as fast as could safely do but traffic became an issue in acheiving a good lap time. Due to odd lines, passing on the brakes or mid corner was risky, so I kept it to exits mostly. The best I could muster was a 1:46. I soon gave up and just had fun with it. Regardless, It is a great track to ride at any pace. Ended the day with no incidents and ready to eat.
MY family did attend the event...well my wife said she wanted to check out Birmingham, and the kids had never been to a track event. They stayed at the Zoo most of the day and they picked me up at sat afterwards. We had a nice dinner at a french bistro in the "5 points" area of midtown....nice area.
back to the track Sun morn.
I decide to take the Duc out first couple runs to let her stretch her legs. Well someone was smiling on me when I hit a relatively clear stretch of track on the first run of the day. Taking it easy on the street tires in 50 degree temps I turned a 1:44 on the duc. All I can figure is that alot of riders may have skipped the first session, especially since the "I" group is the first to go out in the morining. The rest of the day was was great, but traffic was still an issue. I probably should have asked to bump to Advance, but I figured I should stay put and just have fun..which I did.

I was the only MV in attendance.
Lots of Duc 999's in attendance, and even a couple 999r's which i enjoyed picking off at will on both the 998 and the MV.
The MV performed flawlessly....there was no other bike that i had any problem out pulling down down the stretches or holding lines with in the corners.
The kids watched from the hill for a couple hours on Sunday. They were my biggest fans and they told me how fast I was going, even though I really wasnt....but it makes ya feel good.

Track food was very good, I had cheese burgers both days with fries. Initially the burger looked overdone but I quickly found out otherwise when I bit into it. It was cooked med well, and was tender and juicy. I would estimate the patties precook weight to be 1/3 lb of high quality ground beef. The fries were hot and crispy, but another 15 to 20 seconds in the oil would have brought them to golden perfection...but I'm not complaining.

As always, STT puts on well organized/run events, no complaints there.
And Barber was as clean and nice as ever, TP was soft and did not chaffe my soft buttocks, the Gojo dispensers and paper towels were always full.
The only problem they had was the fuel pumps were down due to lightning. Fueling was limited to morning and lunch at which time attendents used manual credit slips to record transactions, which really was not much of a problem anyways.

Did not visit museum this time as I had done so a couple years ago....but it is the best and nicest cycle musuem/collection I have ever seen.

Will be bcak in the spring time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 06:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
Nice write up.

What gear to you get up to @ Barber? The track looks pretty short & tight.

Alex
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

4th gear was about the highest...coming down the front straight..speed around 140...
Very technical track..lots of off camber and blind curve/elevation changes.

look at her playing with the race tire..daddys so proud.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog998
Track food was very good, I had cheese burgers both days with fries. Initially the burger looked overdone but I quickly found out otherwise when I bit into it. It was cooked med well, and was tender and juicy. I would estimate the patties precook weight to be 1/3 lb of high quality ground beef. The fries were hot and crispy, but another 15 to 20 seconds in the oil would have brought them to golden perfection...but I'm not complaining.

I don't know that I've ever seen something like this included in a trackday write-up. Certainly not with such detail.

Have you considered a second career as a food writer for your local rag?

And yes, I'm envious of your Barber experience.

Last edited by ten~39; 10-31-2006 at 10:31 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:43 AM

what front stand are you using on the ago? is that the controversial risky pitbull universal front stand? sounds like a good time. maybe one day....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

style one,
Yes it is the Pit Bull stand with some high tech custom modifications. Here is a brief pictorial on how it works.

Standard Ducati stand that I already owned uses two pins to cradle the front axle clamp.

I removed the duc support pins and custom fabricated a simple one pin replacement to use on the mv. It consists of a large bolt of similar diameter to the hole in the stand, about 5 inches long. Heater hose, regular rubber is fine, silicone is overkill and I have yet to have any leaks. and Black (must be black) duct tape, preferably 3M brand. The assembly method is pretty self explainatory. The black tape is used for covering the hex end of the bolt and for stabilizing the position (in or out) of the bolt. Once the weight is on it, the bolt wont move.

this system is rock solid and I have not had any problems. One thing to note is that this stand does not lift the bike high enough to remove the front wheel. While it is level with the rear wheel, the front fender gets in the way when you try to remove it......one solution is to loosen and raise the front fender or you can simply rasie the front further by using two 2x4 peices of wood under the wheels for added height...this works well. the boards need to be about 26 inches long....a regular 2x4 works fine, I prefer 2 peices of 3/4 inch maple hardwood flooring laminated together...after all, it is an MV......these double as wheel chocks for the trailer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:56 AM

nothing like a little ingenuity. especially when it works for real cheap!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode