Final ride of the year - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Post Final ride of the year

The weather here in Northern England today was superb. Blue sky,bright sunshine, only the brown leaves on the trees and a slight Autumn chill in the air suggested the actual time of year together with the low angle of the sun. It could have been a late summer evening rather than a late Autumn afternoon. After a couple of weeks of being couped up in the garage, it would have been criminal not to unleash the MV for one final blast. The Road tax on my bike expires on 31st October and whilst it would not cost a fortune to renew, I (like a few of my fellow Brits I guess) decided not to renew as the winter fast approaches. The winter lay off will (hopefully) see the addition of a set of Emotos Titanium special exhausts plus the Power Commander and a pair of Michelin 2CTs, but for today, it was a case of dusting out the old girl for one last ride and so after an initial trundle to get some heat in the tyres and warm the motor it was time to stretch the throttle cables and enjoy the howl as the tacho needle swung round towards the higher reaches of the dial.

Apart from a short ride home, I haven't really ridden the bike in anger since my trip to the Dyno and I am convinced the removal of the Cat from my otherwise standard exhaust system has made quite a difference to the overall performance.

After 50 or so miles I spied a couple of fellow bikers taking a breather in a lay by at the side of the road so I pulled in to catch my breath too and enjoy the view over the escarpment at the edge of the Yorkshire wolds. The two bikes were a very tidy Honda VTR SP1 and a Fireblade of '03 vintage and the two pilots, Greg and Alan as I found out later, were no mugs when it came to propelling their charges down the road.

"We are heading for the coast", said the taller of the two, Alan the VTR owner, "where are you heading mate?" " The coast sounds good to me!" I replied and after a few minutes to soak up the views, we fired up our bikes and I decided to act as tail gunner as Greg and Alan had decided I had the fastest bike. ummm no presure then, I thought to myself as the pair exited the layby and I found their initial pace quite interesting to say the least. Many of you will probably frown, but I enjoy fast road riding with like minded souls as long as they don't start going crazy and remember that Aunt Sally and myopic Malcolm are out there enjoying the sunshine too in their mobile tin cans. These two guys has obviously been around quite a while and I soon became quite at ease with their rapid (but IMO safe riding styles). I have always admired the big Honda V twins and I have owned a Fireblade myself in the past, so the 25 odd miles to the coastal town of Bridlington were dispatched in good time and we sat outside a Cafe enjoying (in my case) a scalding hot black coffee and a sticky bun. The guys were from Barnsley in South Yorkshire and regularly came over to the coast on a Sunday afternoon ride which was apparent from their road knowledge on a stretch of road I regard as my home patch. As the sun sank lower into the west, we set off for home and as we were travelling westward, the sun became a bit of a nightmare as I found myself squinting when looking for my braking points on certain corners. After the intial scare with the tired (sorry for the pun) Dunlops, they made up for it by never giving me a second scare and fully warmed up they performed admirably. The MV always seems to be able to pull another card out of it's pocket as I seemed to be able to brake a bit later and get on the gas earlier than my compadres, it really is an effortless machine to ride at high velocity. All too soon my home town of Howden came into view and we parted company with a wave and a nod at the end of the lane which leads to my home. I have been fortunate to have owned many nice bikes over the last 30 odd years but (and I apologise in advance to my friends on mvagusta.net if they have heard me say this before) none have stirred the soul like the MV.

Ride safe everyone and have a great time on your respective steeds.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Last edited by john; 08-02-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Mate, I always feel that i'm on the bike when you share with us one of your stories!

Glad you got a stirring ride in before winter hits!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:04 PM

That is what MVs were made for!

GREAT post John!

The shudders are closing on my riding season too

Regards, Peter

Last edited by Reopropf; 10-29-2006 at 03:42 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 04:01 PM

Wow, that was a a great read. Getting very cold here in northeast usa as well, but I still hope to get a few more rides in. I bought a heated liner I still haven't even broken out yet. Maybe next weekend.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
John
this is a magnificent post
i really appreciate it
i hope that your NON-riding season will be very exciting for you as well.

i'm looking forward to the conversations that we will all have during the time of year when so many cannot ride

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 06:14 PM

To a great ride my friend
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to curi0usmind
Nice story. After reading that, I just have to go for a ride.....

Live to Ride
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:07 PM

Great post...thx. Another round

08 BMW HP2 Sport
10 MV 1090RR
86 BMW R80 G/S
47 Indian Chief
73 Norton Commando Cafe Racer
70 BMW R50/5
70 Triumph T100C
68 BMW R60/2
80 Vespa PX 125
Derringer Indian Board Track Replica
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:45 AM

Nice write up, John
I'm glad you were able to enjoy one more MV ride before winter blows it all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode