Attn Aussies, some pointers if you don't mind - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
X81

Thumbs up Attn Aussies, some pointers if you don't mind

Lets assume for one stupid moment that i was planning on popping over to Oz next year with the family for a holiday, where would be the best place to aim for?

Never been before and i doubt i'll be able to skive off for longer than 2 weeks, if i can squeeze 3 weeks though i'll do my best.

Not into touristy stuff but i reckon the wife will want to see a few thigns and i guess there are some things i Must see even if i don't know it yet.

Is it worth hiring a car and going for a drive from one side to the other? or is best to land in a city and float around there?

a million questions basically.

I know it won't be cheap but on first glance it's not as expensive as i thought it would be so i want to see what we can do and then plan for it.

Ideally i'd be looking at this time of year in 2012. Too hot or too cold etc etc etc etc?

Just a shame we don't get shipped there for free anymore for breaking a few laws, my driving record would have seen me setting up home about 15 years ago

All help gratefully received.

Last edited by X81; 11-02-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 AM

New Site Garage
Smile Hahaha

Stay away from Western Aus, you will be working for me .
This could be funny Chris !
No way do you want to drive across this Island mate, not in a hire car for sure (It's almost a 5 hour flight), and mostly desert.
I would say Melbourne or Gold Coast this time of the year, and I know I will cop some flack for saying that too.
Phew, you just opened a can of worms. , be nice to see the response's thought.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
X81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Stay away from Western Aus, you will be working for me .
This could be funny Chris !
No way do you want to drive across this Island mate, not in a hire car for sure (It's almost a 5 hour flight), and mostly desert.
I would say Melbourne or Gold Coast this time of the year, and I know I will cop some flack for saying that too.
Phew, you just opened a can of worms. , be nice to see the response's thought.

Cool. What are internal flights priced at then out of interest?

I'll be honest i'll have to be putting aside for this for most of the year and i doubt i'll get to go again for a number of years so i'd like to make the most of it.

Plus i'll have my sons with us as well (eldest will be 4.5 by then and the youngest will be 18 months)

Maybe do a week or so in one place then a week or so in another before returning home, possible fly back from a different airport.

Dunno really just throwing ideas around.

If i make it over i will be banging on your door fella
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Chris my daughter was there year before last and drove almost right around Oz. It's a hell of a drive just going Perth to Sydney (2500ish miles IIRC) She loved it all (people/food/weather/ everything) and worked at various places along the way to fund the trip. Sydney was her favourite Seem to remember flights were quite a bit cheaper going into Perth.. I'm jealous
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 AM

It really depends what you like doing/seeing.
Australia is the size of all Europe but with only 23 million people which about 90% live on the coast due to most of the country being a desert.
With so few people driving from Sydney to Melbourne via the Hume Hwy the most direct route takes about 8-9 hours with very little to see or do and the terrain doesn't change very much. I've done it too many times and everytime I do it I promise myself never again. I drove from Melbourne to Brisbane once 18 hours of boredom. The kids would be killing you!
However I drove from Brisbane to Sydney and that wasn't to bad.
Internal air travel is quite cheep these days and If you get on their websites you can nail some good specials.
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/home
http://www.tigerairways.com/au/en/real_deals.php
http://www.virginaustralia.com/

My thoughts considering the kids would be to fly most points and drive 1 or 2 legs between points.
I've never been to Perth but I've never heard a bad word about it, everyone loves Perth. So coming from UK I would get off in Perth which helps shorten the flight some and after so long in the plane you will be keen to get off.
Pester Donsy to show you around
Then fly to either Adelaide or Melbourne, maybe time it for the GP?
Adelaide is a nice small city with a great beach and the hills behind the city are a great drive with quaint small towns and vineyards.
Melbourne has a lot to see and do, I don't know where to begin but there are the sporting events like cricket at the MCG, Phillip Island superbikes & Motogp, Melbourne cup, Albert Park F1, Australian Open if you are into any of that. Also a great bay and peninsula and where I live in the Dandenong ranges on the eastern edge a bit like the Adelaide hills without the winerys.
Tassie is great to visit and you can get either a flight or take the overnight ferry from Melbourne. Now thats a place where driving around is great!
Canberra is worth considering. It usually gets ignored and most Aussies haven't been there. Small designed city so unlike any other I've seen. I lived there for 3 years back in the 70's.
http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/en/T...o-and-see.aspx
Sydney, well I'm from Melbourne so I'll do the right thing and let someone from Sydney fill you in on it.
Brisbane and the Gold Coast are a must and they have the theme parks for the kids. I've only been there a few times so again I'll let someone else take over here.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Just to throw the cat amongst the Emus may I suggest that the best an most scenic part of Australia is in fact the south island of New Zealand, especially in February. Take a relaxed tour around the entire coast.
You'll get far more bang for your buck.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post
Just to throw the cat amongst the Emus may I suggest that the best an most scenic part of Australia is in fact the south island of New Zealand, especially in February. Take a relaxed tour around the entire coast.
I'll pay that, a great call.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
X81

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizel View Post
It really depends what you like doing/seeing.
Australia is the size of all Europe but with only 23 million people which about 90% live on the coast due to most of the country being a desert.
With so few people driving from Sydney to Melbourne via the Hume Hwy the most direct route takes about 8-9 hours with very little to see or do and the terrain doesn't change very much. I've done it too many times and everytime I do it I promise myself never again. I drove from Melbourne to Brisbane once 18 hours of boredom. The kids would be killing you!
However I drove from Brisbane to Sydney and that wasn't to bad.
Internal air travel is quite cheep these days and If you get on their websites you can nail some good specials.
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/home
http://www.tigerairways.com/au/en/real_deals.php
http://www.virginaustralia.com/

My thoughts considering the kids would be to fly most points and drive 1 or 2 legs between points.
I've never been to Perth but I've never heard a bad word about it, everyone loves Perth. So coming from UK I would get off in Perth which helps shorten the flight some and after so long in the plane you will be keen to get off.
Pester Donsy to show you around
Then fly to either Adelaide or Melbourne, maybe time it for the GP?
Adelaide is a nice small city with a great beach and the hills behind the city are a great drive with quaint small towns and vineyards.
Melbourne has a lot to see and do, I don't know where to begin but there are the sporting events like cricket at the MCG, Phillip Island superbikes & Motogp, Melbourne cup, Albert Park F1, Australian Open if you are into any of that. Also a great bay and peninsula and where I live in the Dandenong ranges on the eastern edge a bit like the Adelaide hills without the winerys.
Tassie is great to visit and you can get either a flight or take the overnight ferry from Melbourne. Now thats a place where driving around is great!
Canberra is worth considering. It usually gets ignored and most Aussies haven't been there. Small designed city so unlike any other I've seen. I lived there for 3 years back in the 70's.
http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/en/T...o-and-see.aspx
Sydney, well I'm from Melbourne so I'll do the right thing and let someone from Sydney fill you in on it.
Brisbane and the Gold Coast are a must and they have the theme parks for the kids. I've only been there a few times so again I'll let someone else take over here.
Cool, cheers mate, i'm purely thinking about it at the moment. Not had a holiday in a very very very very long time, can't really afford it but there comes a time when you think what the hell and plan something like this. It could be years before i ever get round to something like this again.

Looks like the driving thing is gonna be a tad hopeful then. Internal flights it is then .

I guess if you've only got a few weeks somewhere the trick is to not try and do too much and end up seeing nothing. We're not really the type of people who like to sit around on beaches doing nothing, but equally i hate pre arranged package type tours.

Potentially though i've got some time to plan things if i do make it out there and your info is very useful. Thanks

Quote:
LOL i had a feeling you'd be pursuading me to go Kiwi rather than Aussie

I'll discuss with the boss and see what she wants to do

Time off though can only be taken at this time of year for me as things starting winding down in the bike trade for christmas. Feb time is when they start picking up again especially as the race season will be getting close and bikes need building.

I've always wanted to get out to either NZ or Oz and i've just decided to do these things rather than talk about them for once.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Good on ya Chris.
Truth is that Australia has much more settled weather this time of year than us. It's the safer bet in November / December.
I wish you a most enjoyable and safe holiday.
Dave.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
X81

Quote:
Good on ya Chris.
Truth is that Australia has much more settled weather this time of year than us. It's the safer bet in November / December.
I wish you a most enjoyable and safe holiday.
Dave.

Oh i may still find a way to come and annoy you as well . Got possibly a year to plan these things.

Don't think you can palm me off on the aussies that easily

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode