It's So Different! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

It's So Different!

Just picked up the new red silver F4 and so much not like the last models.

This is my third MV I traded the 312R and immediately bought it backfrom the shop at as traded price!

Took the new one for a spin - 80kms and at first I felt too high on it. . maybe it was the footpegs being higher (I'm 6' 5") but after an hour or so riding highway and city streets I got used to it and felt more comfortable, but I will make some lower pegs out of billet Al.

The intake howl was totally different to the 312R particularly at around 4 or 5 000revs! I will definately have to use ear plugs on this bike!!!

Acceleration is very smooth from take off though it felt as if some slipping of the clutch was necessary as you got up to city speeds probably around 2 500 revs or there abouts it felt more like a clutch issue. .. the 312R doesn't do it. . at first I thought it might be taller gearing! Don't know on that one!

Gear changes seem to be longer in movement that is. ... but soon got used to the new gearbox without any issues!

The clutch feels like there is a notch or a click when you change up a gear and down changes feel soft and a bit spongy on the down shift but it's a reassuring feeling knowing that the slipper clutch is helping at the rear end and I suppose it helps on tyre wear and stress also!

You quickly realize the inertia of the heavier (2kgs) crankshaft and the better fueling as I didn't have to slip the clutch on slow corners an the bike makes you have a lot more confidence in the acceleration zone - very smooth and fast - with the bike encouraging you to feel the amazing acceleration but must wait a little longer for that!

It does feel more like a jap bike and really it didn't feel like an MV at all. . though later in the evening there is a hint of the previous MV's engines characteristics. I suppose the ear splitting howl of the intake and the louder and much different exhaust note makes you think that it is not an MV! Remember tbat I have clocked up nearly 60 000k's on my previous 1000S and 312R so I should have some knowledge in that department!

This am I went out and looked at the 312R leaning against the wall of the house under the eaves and it brought to mind a soft rounded shapely good looking woman I met from Milan about 20 years ago on Magnetic Island off the Queensland coast - she was a stunner but I never really got to know what her real personality was like unlike the 312 whos is a firey beast and a real bitch if you don't handle it properly!! That is the main reason I'm keeping the 312 because I like the savage untamed nature of it.

There is an amazing amount of room to move around while riding and the much harder seat made me want to sit forward and up much straighter more like the GSXR riding position!

Doing a few weaves on the road you have to push a lot harder on the bars to move it left and right. ... I expect that is the heavier 5 star wheels over the forged ones on the 312. I was wondering if it may be the longer swing arm or wheelbase???

I don't know why they bothered to put a windsceen on it coz tbere is not much to it and how the wind hits your body is so different to the previous!

Overall it is a 21st century bike with a lot of the latest technology and I love it already!

A credit to Adrian Morton for the design!

BUT it has a fat arse whe viewing from above!

Get one you guys I'm a very happy boy!!!!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:45 AM

I had the same thoughts about the Windscreen, as soon as I rode mine,
so I made my I.O.M. Style screen (in my album). Works great, 2" taller, seems like
almost no wind hits me compared to the stock screen.

Adjustable rear-sets from evolutionbike are real nice, and not over-priced.

Nissan controls suck, and will soon be replaced with Brembo's.

And I'm wondering how heavy the OEM rims really are ? because like me, she's on a diet,
and I want to feed her a pair of Forged Magnesium Wheels from Marchisini.

INOX exhaust and ECU makes the bike even more fun, smoothed out the power around 5k too.

Enjoy you new bike Gaz, I love mine, other than she's a bit heavier than the girls I usually run with.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Established Member

Congrats on your new bike and good decision on keeping the 312. I wish i could have both as you, enjoy them... just chose depending of your mood.

Regards
Andoni
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 AM
lee

What's with all the clutch slipping? I don't understand why you'd have to do that unless you're too high a gear for the speed. Shouldn't have to do that.

Maybe has to do with the oversquare design of the engine. Less torque at lower rpms.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 AM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up Cheers

Interesting read Gaz, thanks for that.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
What's with all the clutch slipping? I don't understand why you'd have to do that unless you're too high a gear for the speed. Shouldn't have to do that.

Maybe has to do with the oversquare design of the engine. Less torque at lower rpms.
Lee, maybe Gazman is still just getting use to her, what I mean is, I had the initial impression that first gear was just a tad high, compared to a lot of bikes I've owned, took a few miles to get use to.
I almost immediately changed to 520 chain with a whole range of sprockets, saved like 3.5 lbs, and right now, for what little street riding i do I have it geared-down so much that I use 2nd for starts.
I don't care about the top speed I'm sacrificing on the street, as it is it wouldn't be hard to land myself in jail in 3rd gear on these bikes.
(I don't think they have Speed Channel in jail)

Last edited by Mr. Master; 09-30-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks gazman, if u had to keep only one, which would it be?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I haven't had the new one long enough to make a decision really. . for looks at side view it would still be the 312 R

front view the sharper look of the new one I like better as it's more contemporary but it may date sooner than the 312!

Engine department - the new one around town is easy and smooth but I bought it for club rides as I ride with 3 or 4 different groups I wait to see what it's like on the open road. On the short bit of highway I did it was hard to keep it at legal speeds, that was the case everywhere I went the other evening I was continually surprised at high illegal speeds I was doing - possibly because I haven't got used to the engine sounds, but it does want to go fast could be smoothness of throttle and less restricted breathing of the engine!

Will have to wait a bit longer before I make a final decision.

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;

Last edited by gazman; 09-30-2011 at 12:21 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Gary, I didn't like the 2010 F4 when I took one out for the day. The gearbox had too many false neutrals and it felt 'too Japanese' to be an F4 for me. I've owned a 750, a 1000S and ridden both the 312 and 312RR, all those bikes seemed more Italian to me than the 2010. Please don't get me wrong, I want to like the new bike, but it just doesn't do it for me. As you've had a few F4's yourself, can you perhaps give me your opinion as to what you like about the new bike that perhaps I'm missing. Right now if I change my 1000S for a new or newer bike it will have an Aprillia badge on the tank not an MV one.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

I looked at the Aprillia but I am too big for it, its more like a 600 in size. I think it (Aprillia) may be the better bike in regard to electronics etc everyone is raving about them down here! I think the designers have done a great job with the new MV, I teach in the design area and a design has to move forward at some stage and I think how Adrian Morton has done that is certainly a credit to him!

I wonder how Tamburini sees this new design?

Many have said the new designed MV should be a totally new bike but that is not how good design happens in most instances. I think its a great bike its got the MV name and heritage and I am looking forward to enjoying it!

As an engine is developed it has to rev higher to make more hp it has to adopt more technology etc etc and it will certainly become more Japanese because they have set the standards in so many ways look at the BMW rr for instance! It's a real screamer but still not much character - this new MV has heaps of grunt AND CHARACTER!!!!

Last edited by gazman; 09-30-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode