Europes Best Riding Road... Which one??? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Europes Best Riding Road... Which one???

There's a few of us heading out to Europe early Oct' in hopes of riding Europes best riding road.

We're looking for miles of medium-high speed / sweeping curves not first gear roll on / roll off curves like the Stelvio

So, can you all give me your suggestions and a brief description ie approx speeds and length of the road

Cheers all

"The first rule of Italian driving: Whats behind me is not important" 'The Gumball Rally' 1976
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Bloody hell, where to start, I'll have to think about that one and get back to you, there are loads, did you watch that top gear programme where they went looking for similar pieces of tarmac around Europe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes mate I did, that's what's sparked this off

Think we may well trailer & 4x4 them there then ride just THE road

It's just choosing which road that's the tricky bit.... Any suggestions John just lay em on us

"The first rule of Italian driving: Whats behind me is not important" 'The Gumball Rally' 1976
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 AM

i like the area between trento, lake garda, monte grappa, a lot,
e.g., http://maps.google.com/maps?q=+grapp...src=6&t=h&z=14
not so steep mountains and much less crowed as in the dolomites, but
essentially all smaler streets are just a lot of fun with turns until your head gets silly .
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 AM

Depends on where in Europe! Avoiding the hairpins means avoiding the biggest hills! Now I started with 3 options that were different... but bugger it... heres 10 options...

1) Cerreto pass (italy). Runs from Collagna to Fivizzano in the tuscan hills... its more second/ third gear, but approx 50k long
2) While your down there, futa pass from Florence to Bologna is awesome too (though more traffic). Faster, and Id guess 40k? maybe its longer cause I was rather tired from no sleep at Mugello when I rode it
3) There is a road in slovenia... 60km of heavan. Its not a pass, but its pretty epic. From Most na Soci to Logatec. Follows a river toward Iridja... gets better and better and better
4) Passo Di Muira. From Ampezzo towards Aruzona di Cadore... (its my all time fave). Great surface, and the world seems to have forgotten its there Oh, its 55k long
5) ok there are hairpins, but Furka, Grimsel, Susten shouldnt be missed. There are great sweeping sections too...
6) Takes a bit of explaining, but Ettal (very south of Germany) to Berwang (austria) is all sweepers and great surface. all up prob 50k but a bit of traffic in the middle
7) Its on my to do list, but im told the B500 south of the nurburgring is epic (cant vouch for it though). Prob Firedancer knows it, given he is from Stuttgart
8) Firedancer is right about the area around lake Garda.. too many options to list.. oh and make sure you get there over brenner pass from innsbruck
9) Back in the dolomites.... southern end near Agordo. Its not so high, so less hairpins (though you can go high on somewhere like passo Rolle, which is awesome)
10) Soca River in Slovenia.. just watch the cops there hahah I got booked

Hope it helps... jealous Im all the way back in Oz again....

Its not a racetrack....... its better than that!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 AM

Slovenia and Croatia. Google it. Go from Bovec to Idrija, than Logatec, Postojna, over the border to Croatia, Rijeka-Senj-Karlobag-Zadar.

300+ km of corners of all kinds. Best in the world.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Hi MVMerito, i done a trip on the MV in May and found lots of great roads. The San Bernadino pass is good. Nice speeds but with some hairpin turns, goes on for about 15 miles i think but with some good stretches where you can open it up. The scenery is breathtaking, the tarmac good and the roads really are awesome. Check out the ss38 Stelvio to Sluderno, then you turn left where it joins the SS40 and then onto the SS41(Swiss Border) where it turns into the SS28, all of these are great roads. But the BEST in Europe. The jewel in the crown for me was Austria. The roads were simply unbeleiveable. miles and miles of perfect quality, traffic free, knee down bends. I remember i'd just got into Austria and I was on this stretch of road that was lovely, i went round a particular bend that was perfect for a high speed knee down so i stopped, turned around and done it again. and again. What i didnt realise was that that bend was the first of many. I followed that road for 40 miles along side a river and have never enjoyed a day so much in my life!
If you come from Italy (which i highly recommend) and stay at this place http://www.dorfwirt-rockenschaub.at/ i would be very suprised if you find nicer roads anywhere, and if you do, i want to know about them!!!! Let me know if you want me to go into more detail. Have you got any ideas where you want to go?

If you like i can detail for you where i stayed, all motorbike friendly hotels, really nice and most of them had spas in so you could really relax at the end of the day. I

Last edited by MV05 EXY; 08-22-2011 at 08:10 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS

This one is easy..

The stretch of road between junction 19 and 18 of the M25 and also the long high speed exit at juction 8 of the M1 at Hemel.

Top gear are doing a 2 hour long special feature on these two sections of roads, during the next series..

Go for it lads and keep it real !

EMAIL :
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post

This one is easy..

The stretch of road between junction 19 and 18 of the M25 and also the long high speed exit at juction 8 of the M1 at Hemel.

Top gear are doing a 2 hour long special feature on these two sections of roads, during the next series..

Go for it lads and keep it real !

+1 - Austria can only dream of roads like that.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV05 EXY View Post
+1 - Austria can only dream of roads like that.
I bet they're insanely jealous..

I've never actually ridden that stretch of road between junction 19 to 18 myself, but I'm having my bike's suspension set up by K Tech for that very purpose.

I'm then booking a weeks holiday in Watford so I can ride up and down that part of the M25 until I get my riding technique up to speed and can back it in off the M25 Richmansworth junction.

Stoner doesn't know how easy he has it, until he can back it in off the M25 at Ricky..

EMAIL :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode