NEXX helmets - REAL road test. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Exclamation NEXX helmets - REAL road test.

Originally posted here:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...t=41417&page=2

...but maybe good to raise some more eyebrows. Accident details here:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40744

I recently (June 2011) had an accident, hit some debris on the road at 30mph (50kmh), flew over the handlebars, and hit a guardrail at a 30 degree angle of incidence. I was wearing a NEXX carbon at the time.

The impact landed me in a coma for three weeks, brain hemorrhage in the frontal lobe, broken jaw in two places, occipital fracture that almost took out my eye. The jaw piece on the helmet failed, and the carbon fiber shell absorbed no impact whatsoever (The helmet is almost without a scratch). I would never buy this one again.

Sure, it's the best helmet I've owned for looks, ergonomics, comfort, and visibility, but at the end of the road, it is safety first. I don't believe carbon fiber is a good material for a helmet shell. Too strong for its own good (and mine)?

Just my personal experience - any input welcome. Meanwhile, I am still in recovery mode.

-Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Arrow

Wow, incredible story

Get well soon mate

Although I have a full carbon HJC lid, and it is light/comfortable and pretty, I hardly wear it. Nothing can top the confidence of wearing an ARAI on my noggin, for me anyways........
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Established Member

So, Are carbon helmets safe?

// deleted because it's better to let experience and folk wisdom stand rather than try to provide actual fact based research ...

----
Those wishing to tame lions should attend carefully the difference between domestication and sophisticated food gathering techniques.

Last edited by lmcmulle; 01-21-2012 at 07:19 AM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:42 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
That sucks you had such a bad crash. Like said its hard to blame the helmet specifically because of the nature of the crash, you can really only judge them across controlled test scenarios. I ended up going with a SHOEI because it wasnt much heavier, I could try one on before I bought and they are one of the last ones that do the additional SNELL testing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 PM

That's crazy! glad your on the mend, I looked to NEXX helmets before I bought my bell. Sounds like I made a good decision. You were probably better off riding around with a pillow strapped to your head...

BMW s1000rr:
2006 mv 1000 nero 3/21(sold)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Helmet First - Then The Rest.

I'd never even heard of NEXX helmets until I read this (and the previous thread). I think I'll keep it that way as well.

I've always had either Arai or currently AGV (Ti-Tech) helmets as does my son, my wife rides with a Suomy helmet which personally I now think is the best helmet in our household.

In my recent accident (rear ended) which resulted in the write off of my wife's Moto Guzzi I was wearing a Davida open face helmet. Fortunately, I've never had head trauma or really put a helmet to the test. Apart from the Guzzi incident & throwing a Yamaha XV750 (rental bike) down the road some 25 years @ 60mph, I haven't had any other accidents - but as they say, dress for the Crash not the Ride.

Peter, I sincerely hope that you recover well, fully and speedily from you accident.

Cheers
Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta

Last edited by MVista; 01-20-2012 at 08:04 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Dahulk
Thanks for the posting about the next helmet as I always wondered about their carbon fibre model. Too bad I had to learn this way about the performance of the helment get well soon.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcmulle View Post
// deleted because it's better to let experience and folk wisdom stand rather than try to provide actual fact based research ...
Could you put it back?? I wear a Nexx and would like to read your findings. Thanks.

Pants up, don't loot.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlance View Post
Could you put it back?? I wear a Nexx and would like to read your findings. Thanks.
I think what Imc published was just to state that carbon fiber helmets tend to be very strong/resistent to shock...but if he decided to delete he must have his own reasons!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlance View Post
That was me being a peevish little b|tch... sorry.

here you go:

Two_daily raised some good points, ones that the community would like answers on, namely are carbon helmets safe?

while my response will address you and some of the points you raised, please don't interpret my response as being directed at you, or a repudiation, or challenging your experiences.

(sources will be noted in footnotes)
----

In short, I think Two-daily's initial reaction in his first crash thread is correct. the Nexx carbon helmet saved his life. His later suggestions that the helmet might not be safe are experiential and not in line with research or safety standards. At the speed at which his head impacted the trees, there was a significant chance even wearing the very best protection that the accident would be fatal, and had he been unprotected, or under-protected, two_daily would have almost certainly died#.

Data:

72% of fatal head on collisions in motor vehicles occur an an impact speeds less than 70kph/43mph. 50% of fatal accidents occur at speeds less than 50kph/30mph.* of these, the vast majority are a result of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).

the median crash speed of a fatal motorcycle accident is 21.5mph.**

wearing a full face helmet only reduces the risk of death by 37%

Two_daily seems to suggest that due to the helmet's lack of deformation ("not having a scratch on it") it's strength actually allowed greater transfer of energy to his head. This is contrary to modern helmet design:

Modern helmets are designed to deform and recover externally (ie flex) and crumple on the inside leaving their shells intact. Evidence of this can be seen both by examining helmets after safety testing***, helmets post crash****, and by inference from MSF’s guidance that helmets after having been involved in minor accidents should be inspected and replaced because damage may not be apparent.

While fiberglass is certainly more flexible***** than carbon fibre, carbon fibres made with epoxy resin maintain very good flexibility for application in helmets.

---
#based on the accident as described and the described injuries, which suggest a head impact to tree at ~30mph

* NTSB data from 1993-1997 – summarized in this report from the Australia from 2007: http://members.optusnet.com.au/carsa...eeds_jan07.pdf

** List of findings from the Hurt report: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_Hurt_Report

*** NEXX Saftey certification video (note lack of impact damage): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSiGaf5-Dk0
****Bell star 2010 helmet after an 80MPH crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-LFWTon65c

***** Fiberglass is actually too flexible, (causing it to deform, lose shape and even permit puncture, which is why it is often reinforced with carbon fibre or Kevlar in some high end helmets.

----
Those wishing to tame lions should attend carefully the difference between domestication and sophisticated food gathering techniques.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode