MV Agusta State Of The Union. Please read!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

MV Agusta State Of The Union. Please read!!

For those who don't know, I am a dealer for MV Agusta, as well as Ducati and Husqvarna in California. I am writing this to hopefully put at ease all the worry-bugs, nay-sayers, and drama-queens.

I will kill some wrong rumors, present facts and give you my opinion of MV Agusta's condition. I just returned from Europe where i rode a Brutale for 2 weeks and I visited the factory and had lunch and a long conversation with MV's director of sales Umberto Uccio that afternoon.

Fact 1: MV Agusta USA is operational and it has never seized to operate. MV Agusta USA is no longer run by Ferracci i.e Larry Ferracci and Matt Stutzman. Ferracci's contract wth the factory expired in June and the factory chose not to renew the contract with Ferracci. Instead they hired Rob Keith to run MV Agusta USA. Rob Keith has worked for Husqvarna for many years. He in fact was the general manager for Husqvarna in the US when Ferracci distributed that brand also before it was sold to BMW. Prior to Husqvarna, Rob Keith worked for Ducati.
Why the change, you ask? According to Uccio, it was a fiscal decision. Ferracci charged the factory what they felt was too much money to run the distribution. Going with Rob Keith apparently saves the factory millions of dollars. This will free up funds to do other thing in the US such as increased marketing and for the factory to hopefully run a profitable US operation, which apparently it hadn't been in the past. "We had to stop the bleeding" as Uccio put it.

Fact 2: The parts system has undergone a re-structuring. In the past we ordered parts from the US warehouse. We only had visibility of inventory in the US and availability was limited. If parts weren't available in ythe US. The distributor had to order them from the factory, getting them shipped, inventory it into the US warehouse, pull the order and then ship it to the dealer.
With the new system we are are ordering parts directly from the factory in Italy. We know have access and visibility to factory parts inventory. This tremendously improves availability. Ducati did the same a few years back and it has been working very well.
However, during the transition to the new systemsome hick-ups and delays have to be expected. As of last week we are receiving parts with this new system. Some small issues still need to be ironed out but within a couple months it'll be smooth sailing.

Fact 3: The F3 is the most beautiful bike to be produced in a long time. Pictures of it are great but seeing it in person is almost incomprehensible. I really really tried to find any flaws but I couldn't. From every possible angle it is jaw-droppingly georgeous!!! It is worth every minute you have to wait for it! I saw the Oro version and it looks incredibly rich with all the magnesium and carbon parts. I did not see the standard version. Pricing for the US is not yet determined and the bike should be available in the US next spring. The delay for US deliveries is usually due to the US homologation agencies (EPA, DOT, CARB) taking their sweet time with the approval process.

I also got a sneek peek of the B3 Brutale but I am not at liberty to disclose anything about it. But it does exist albeit in definite pre-production form.

State of MV Agusta: Compared to the last time I was there a few years ago, the mood at the factory is upbeat and excited. The feeling of uncertainty that was there is gone. That was true with everyone I talked to. The company is in better financial condition than it has been in a long time. According to Uccio, MV Agusta currently has zero debt. What struck me was that while they are as passionate about their bikes as ever, there is the constant sense of fiscal responsibility. They seem very caucious about where and when to spend money and there expectations and projections seem very reasonable and achievable. This puts me very much at ease as past management spent money as if they had a printing press in the back of the building.

The US market: The biggest challenge is the extremely competitive environment in the US. Bikes sell in the US for less than anywhere else in the world. To even stand a chance, the bikes must be priced accordingly. This makes it very difficult for a small volume manufacturer to turn a profit. In addition, the US market is much more conservative than the European market for example and for exotic brands it takes more marketing efforts to sell the same volume in the US. To put this into perspective, last year MV retailed in the US, a country with a population of roughly 300 million people, about 100 motorcycles. In Switzerland, a 8 million people country, they sold about 300 bikes!! Going with the new, less costly US distributor will hopefully free up some funds for better marketing of the MV Agusta brand that is so desperately needed.

After meeting with the MV folks, I truly feel that while MV is experiencing some temporary interruptions and issues, they are putting all the right pieces in place to ensure the survival and growth of the company in the future. The line up of new models, some of which Uccio hinted to me about but didn't tell me what it was, and their previously absent fiscal responsibility are just the main indicators among others that MV Agusta is indeed on the way up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
It is glad to hear something good! I know every company goes through transitions and tough times, but all the MV bashing on here was starting to get a little annoying.
Can't wait to see a F3 in person!

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM

That is very good to hear, excellent! Some things from my other post are now clear, thank you Balz. Let's hope they will stay out of(financial) trouble now and produce some fine bikes.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Thanks for the detailed update and explanation -- i'm sure many of us here appreciate it!
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Still waiting for my B3R...

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing Balz

Sounds very positive. Very similar to what our Troop experienced while there.

MV financial backers would like this kind of talk

Makes me want to be a part of their success story, in a way
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Established Member

Hi Crash2much,

Good to read that, as a colleague-dealer, you get the same impression from MV as we do. We haven't had the possibility to visit the factory quite as recently as you have, but we were there on a dealer meeting earlier this spring and came back with the same impression. They are optimistic and very happy with the current and future model range but also very down to earth and realistic as to their financial situation. It felt really reassuring and motivating. In Holland and Belgium, we've been receiving parts directly for a few years now, and it works just fine!

Overall we're happy to be part of the club that is evolving in the right direction.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM

I like

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the update.
Nothing like a fact-based opinion on the matter.
Glad to know things are moving forward with MV.
Daniel
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info! Sounds positive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode