USA MV Agusta...Is it over? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

USA MV Agusta...Is it over?

I fear I can see the writing on the wall. With MV closing up shop in the USA as far as parts, and my local dealer down to one bike in stock, has the company decided to go the way of Benelli and leave American buyers stranded? My local shop is backed up 10 months on warranty repairs due to absolutely no parts availability. They were the #1 dealer in the USA and always had a full line of bikes in stock. Now Aprilia has slid into that position to fill up the sales floor. It is so bad that the service advisor will flat out tell you that you are an idiot for considering buying an MV.
I have heard that the owner of the company has said there is no way to make money on the bikes sold in the USA, and that he may not offer the F3 here. I can't blame a company for deciding it is not cost effective selling to a particular market, but they should at least allow a few years of efficient parts supply before they pull the rug out from under you.
I had three MVs, and in order to avoid the "Benelli" syndrome, I sold off my 2010 990R and F4. I kept my 1078RR since it is a vastly superior bike as far as fit and finish. All of the issues I was told would occur on the new bikes ended up happening, such as fungus in the dash on the F4 and the powder coat on the 990 motor peeling off. The older bike may not have as smooth a throttle response, but at least it is built like a MV should be. Mainly, I don't want to have 3 headaches in my garage when the company decides to flip the bird to the USA.

Last edited by Brutalian; 08-02-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVArt View Post
Really? Where did you get this "intel"? Is this why I cannot get a hold of a few kats in PA... I have recv'd undeliverable emails as if they do not exist anymore.

At any rate, I find this hard to believe that MV would give up on the US market.

I just rode with the sales manager for the local DFW area and he was excited talking about when they would be getting the "new" F3 and F4RR models which is supposed to be some time next year... but not that MV was closing up shop in the US.

I know some of you have great relationships with those who run things in Italy... what are they saying?
Got that info from two shop owners and employees. They can't even reach anyone at MV to assist with orders etc. MV cut their staff of people assisting the USA to 1 person answering the phones, and is only offering and selling off the old 2010 bikes at huge discounts.
I did not want to face the music either, but this is the exact same road I saw Benelli go down before they bailed on the USA. Most dealers and people with something to lose are always going to paint a rosey picture, but when a dealership who has supported the company from day 1 says it looks grim and makes a decision to avoid putting bikes on the floor, I have to suspect something extreme is about to go down. Hey, I hope I am wrong, but still, who the heck wants a bike with absolutely no factory or customer support....let alone parts?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 PM

I was told by my dealer that they sent all the parts back to Italy that were in the USA and that they are just now setting up the distro system to order directly from Italy. He just got his passwords to get into the system last week.

He told me that there were 3 people left, one of them was the receptionist and 2 other sales reps. Matt Stutzman is no longer there. He didn't say they were abandoning the US but who knows?
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM
JWA
Established Member

I just got a whole list of odd misc. parts in less than two weeks through Pro Italia.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Yes, Matt Stutzman is no longer there...picked that up from my LinkedIn connection. None of my contacts are there now.

The word I heard is there will be a new distributor for the US...but with Italy now taking their annual August holiday it may be a while! I do not believe they will abandon the US market. It is too large for that, and their announced global marketing plans would indicate they won't.
Think of it, they are setting up MV kit assembly plant in Brazil to circumvent the extreme import duties there (a common practice in countries where law requires a certain percentage local content, labor in this case, or 100% tariff)...how big is that market for sales potential?

I remain optimistic....not about the US government unfortunately, but about MV in the USA at least.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Sorry to hijack the thread, but the widely laughed at and disparaged tea party just dealt a crushing defeat to the dark side. Things are looking up.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but the widely laughed at and disparaged tea party just dealt a crushing defeat to the dark side. Things are looking up.

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Regarding MV Agusta, I just read in Cycle World that with the introduction of the F3, they are planning on doubling production from 4000 to 8000 bikes a year, with an eventual goal of reaching 16,000 bikes sold per year. I can't imagine they'd be deserting the American market with those type numbers forecasted.

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM

tea party, best joke so far, even more funny than someone saying MV USA is a good brand.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I don't know what MV USA brand is, but I think MV is a good brand.

And if you no longer represent your friends and neighbors from your cushy seat in Washington because of Tea Party Activists, it's no joke.

If your base is pissed off at you and is going to stay home next year because you caved to tea party demands, it's no joke.

Lastly if you think Obama's peculiar brand of Keynsian economics was going bring this country to a social/democratic nirvana, the tea party put a stop to that. No joke.

You may find whistling past the graveyard helps you sleep at night, but I assure you, democrats around the country in leadership positions realize the tea party is no joke and are in an absolute panic about what to do next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode