So I rode a 999s today... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

So I rode a 999s today...

... boy I was glad to hop back on the MV!!

Sure the Duke is far more user friendly and all, but its still got nothing on the MV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Cool

I like Dukes too, had a couple myself in the past, but I prefer the F4, the only thing I miss about the big V twins compared to the four is the torque when you wind it on out of a corner which lifts the front end. See Velocemoto's vids. Used to love doing that on my 996.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:53 AM

So, what was your impression about the 999S?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 04:11 PM

Yes, I would be also very interested in your report, the 'S' version has always intrigued me, maybe not as a comparo against the MV but for what it is against value for money would be good
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:22 PM

Yes your opinion please, torque, brakes, suspenesion etc. What sort of riding did you do on it?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:57 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
I also test rode a 2003 999s & a Brutale 910 about 2 month ago the day that I paid the deposit for the Senna.

Before I tell you what I thought, this is what I ride:

for the street: 2003 R6 and 98 916(just sold it 2 month ago)

for the track: 2003 Derbi gpr/metrakit pro race kit 72, 2003 R6, 2005 ZX6R at the California Superbike School classes.

I was able to ride the 910 and the 999s back to back, in that order, it was a 5 mile ride on the streets(about 10% city, 30% highway, and 60% twisty roads in the mountain)and this is what I noticed about the 999s

the ergo is drastically different from my 916, bar reach is relatively long still but the seat height is surprisingly low(even lower than my Derbi), I felt close to the ground. the tank was very narrow which I liked a lot, the rearset was too far forward to my liking, with the low seat, stretched arms and foward and low rearset it felt very odd to me. the eigine is stronger than my 916 but the power curve felt very similar, I was surprised that the steering was extremely heavy at low speed, to make sure it wasn't me, I focused on using good counter steering technique to make sure it wasn't the ergo that makes me push the bars in a less effective way (down instead of forward) but it was still very heavy, it felt vividly like I was overcoming the centrifugal force of the wheel (like trying to turn a spinning bicycle wheel in your hands). at higher speed it was a bit lighter, but still required more muscle than any bike that have ever ridden, perhaps it's because that "stubburn stability", it was very stable and planted in the turns.

I didn't feel confident with the bike, the flickability or lack of it was a big issue for me, likely it's just me(riding mostly lighter bikes) not used to it but
I have also gotten the same comment from others.

I have always been a pure sportsbike enthusiast so I wasn't expecting too much before riding the 910 but was I very surprised, 910 was a real blast to ride, nice and responsive power, agile, very flickable, confidence inspiring and just plain FUN... riding the 999s after the 910 was a bit of let down in almost every way.

That is my 1st impression of 2 bikes, again they were just short rides on streets but the 910 left me day dreaming about how to justify to my wife for wanting to buy it with the Senna.

O D O N A T A

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Site Sponsor

I tested the 999S and after I got off I said "this is the best bike I have ever ridden" - Spanks all over my MV - but I have a 750 and have never ridden the 1000.

Everything about it was better than my 750 though. No contest.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoworks
I tested the 999S and after I got off I said "this is the best bike I have ever ridden" - Spanks all over my MV - but I have a 750 and have never ridden the 1000.

Everything about it was better than my 750 though. No contest.

come on dude...........
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
come on dude...........
Just because I own an MV - that doesn't mean I think it is the greatest bike on earth (like some people here), because it isn't. But it's up there.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:37 PM

Smile

Nice write up Odonata, thanks

Desmoworks, the 'best bike you have ever riden?' I have no intent in questioning your comments other than I have not read a ride report on the 999 or 999s that comes close to your comment!

As I said its your thoughts and thats fine by me, but I would have thought your MV would have walked all over the 999s in all major test criteria. Except maybe mid range torque....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode