post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

moto cinch retrains........

Has anybody tryed these out yet.
http://www.motocinch.com/products/street
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 AM

Don't see how they can claim it doesn't compress the suspension when its obvious that it does this. So i can't see any benefit such as saving fork seals. The same drawback for all systems like this still requires one to bolt anchors through the floor in a stationary position. At least Pit Bull trailer restraints don't compress ones suspension. Not seeing any advantages with this than the standard Baxley shock and d-rings. Still think the PitBull restraint would be the way to go if transporting sportbikes. May be different for quad and dirt bikes though.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I think it's a pretty cool idea, but then I'm not worried about how little it compresses the suspension. It obviously does, but not near as much as standard tie downs from the clip ons or handle bars. I think it would be most beneficial in the bed of a truck rather than in a trailer. Lets fact it, once the bikes are in the trailer, you usually don't move around between them so the straps are no big deal. I can tow 6 bikes in my trailer and so far the best system is the Condor/baxley. They work with any bike, any size. I've found that attaching the tie downs closer to the rear of the bike and pulling the bike down and forward into the chock works exceptionally well. Much better than using the canyon dancers or cycle cinch attachment across the clipons.

I like the pitbull system too. But if you haul different bikes, you need a different axle pin for each one and the system itself is pretty expensive.

I'm going to order a set or two and give them a try.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Site Sponsor

Try something like this instead: http://www.ststands.com/main.cfm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM

The best solution I know of is tyre downs http://www.kyaracing.com.au/ plus a second set of tie downs for the front as a backup with the bike rolled into a self supporting stand such as the Ventura bike stand http://www.ventura-bike.com/products...d/bs006~s.aspx (note: tyre downs are not suitable for all bikes as exhausts and rear mudguards can get in the way, so check before you buy)

All you do is wheel the bike onto the bike stand, go an get your tie downs and fix the front and back. The rear tyre (primary) 'tie down' puts no load on any suspension and the front is used as a back up just in case so only puts a small load on the front suspension.

Quick, easy and only needs one person.

The 'Canyon dancer' style (http://www.canyondancer.com/) are not a good primary tie down as they can break/bend clipons, damage grips and switch gear and I've read that they can also distort a frame.

For those who say you only need one set of tie downs, that's true until one part fails or is not secured correctly (it happens) and then you have a damaged bike.

Another convenient trick is to replace all the hooks etc with caribiners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carabiner), sourced from a climbing shop. They make for a strong easy to use attachment device. Only need the cheap ones.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up

[quote=emmevi125s;462571]The best solution I know of is tyre downs http://www.kyaracing.com.au/ plus a second set of tie downs for the front as a backup with the bike rolled into a self supporting stand such as the Ventura bike stand http://www.ventura-bike.com/products...d/bs006~s.aspx (note: tyre downs are not suitable for all bikes as exhausts and rear mudguards can get in the way, so check before you buy)

That's exactly what I use !

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 PM
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdon003 View Post
Has anybody tryed these out yet.
http://www.motocinch.com/products/street
I ordered two sets which I plan to mount in the bed of my truck. I also bought some L track to mount in the trailer. I'll let you know how I like it next week.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 PM
CAG

In a word, they are brilliant. First, they are adjustable so you can compress the suspension as much or as little as you like. It has no effect on how well the bike is supported. Because of the way the unit attaches to the rear sets, tie downs are not necessary. I suppose you could use them if you are a belts and suspenders sort of guy.

The two little attachment plates are very unobtrusive and easily mount to the floor of a trailer or truck bed. You don't store the cinch on the mounting plates. They snap in and out in seconds.

They are exceptionally well made. Very good attention to detail. They even come with a canvas bag to carry and store them in.

Very easy to use. Anchor them in place, roll the bike in between them and let the bike rest on its side stand. Attach the right side cinch first then the left side. Lift the lever to snug the cinch down and you are done. The bike will sit upright, not on its side stand.

They are adjustable. They fit any sport bike with rear sets from 13"-17" off the ground.

If you transport your bike in the back of a truck, I can't imagine a better system. Not having to fuss with tie downs and attachment points is a real joy.

The pit bull system is nice, but it is expensive and bike specific. Plus, you have to bolt a huge ass plate on your floor.

I've been using the Condor sport bike chocks with great success. But you still need tie downs and in a trailer, you have to remove them to gets bikes parked in front of them out of the trailer. Plus they are more expensive.

Those are the systems I've used and the moto cinch is a game changer. Once I sell the two Condor chocks I have, I'll buy another two sets of these.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 AM

The idea of using the rearsets as an attachment point doesn't impress me as I doubt the rearsets are designed for the loads a trailered bike would put on them especially when encountering a large bump.

You should ALWAYS have two independent sets of tie downs just in case there is a failure (attachment devise, attachment point, fitment, human stuff up, etc).

Race bikes and many track bikes (which are 'always' trailered) don't have a side stand which adds an extra degree of difficulty to securing the bike.

Don't break a rear set or getting home could be a problem (speaking about track days here where a minor off can result in a broken footpeg/rearset)

Think I'll stick with the Ventura style stand (just wheel the bike in and then get the tie downs), the 'tyredown' and another set of tie downs as back up.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:52 AM
CAG

I haven't done the math, but if the rear sets will support my full weight going over bumps, I don't see why they won't support tension on them in the trailer.

Also, you don't need the side stand. You can sit on the bike and reach down and pick the cinches up off the floor and put them on the rear sets. (I did that with the Aprilia RS250)

My purpose posting this was not to convince anyone to change the way he secures his bikes, but to give an honest objective review to MrDon003.

I have never used the tyre down, tie downs, and a ventura stand combo so I can't comment on how effective it is. It certainly sounds like it works. I've only used the methods described above. I have also used Pingle chocks, soft ties, and the handlebar attachment mechanism but they are the worst way to tie down the bike. The cheapest for sure, but they do a lousy job and they really do compress the forks.

For ease of use, and stability this is the best I've tried so far. For convenience moving bikes in and out of a multi bike trailer, nothing I'm aware of could be easier. Also because of their adjustability, they are not bike specific. You can use them with any bike with rear sets or foot rests. I rolled a Suzuki SV650, and an Aprilia into the truck and with out moving cinches secured those two bikes also.

I'd rather not let this get into a "what's the best wax/oil/tire" type thread. So unless asked specifically about the moto cinch system and my experience with it, I won't be saying anything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode