What is it about Aprilia...compared to Ducati and MV...hell other brands too! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
What is it about Aprilia...compared to Ducati and MV...hell other brands too!

Why is it value holds better on Ducs and MVs, but not on Aprilias? All are italian, but it seems like the Aprilias don't hold value well...almost like a jap bike, but not as quite as bad. Still bad by comparison though.

Why is that?

Also, there are more elusive brands, well maybe illusive isn't the quite the right word, but bikes you don't see every day like Bimota or Benelli, but thier value doesn't hold quite as well either, and well, they're also not as sought after as the Duc or MV either....

Why is that? Bored afternoon before having to head into work...

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM

I guess b/c Aprilias look Japanese
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 03:25 PM

since things are only worth what people are willing to pay, i'd say marketing. aprilia is only seen over here in motogp 250. never seen racing (other than that), and rarely seen on the street. they have no image, thus no demand. demand is what controls value.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika
I guess b/c Aprilias look Japanese
...If you meant the '04 Mille central air intake, then maybe.

A while back, Aprilia went through some serious financial trouble and their parts supply dried up. There was event talk of bankcrupcy. Piaggio has now assumed control of Aprilia and things are looking up. The current line up needs an update, especially their premier model like the Mille line. Personally, I love my Mille Factory's performance now but has always a fan of its styling (Believe it or not, I turned down a killer deal on a 999S for my Mille Factory due to its styling.) The bike hasn't change much other than the paint scheme since '04, it's still only in its 3rd production year.

As far as Italian bikes concern, a Mille Factory is the best bang for your bucks riight now, bullet proof engine and Ohlins suspension.

(Side note, Andy, if you love how my Mille Factory wheelied while spinning its rear tire before wait until you try it now. )

Last edited by ARCHILLE; 10-18-2006 at 03:32 PM.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Yeah, it's wierd...the bike comes with Ohlins and other nice goodies, but they're still cheap...well relatively speaking. A guy I just met at the local bike night recently bought a Mille Factory with COMPLETELY CARBON bodywork, fenders, panels, everything. Custom carbon airbox...$7800. Lets see even a 916 or hell a 748 go that cheap. There was so much carbon on that bike, my bike sitting next to it didn't even exist to onlookers (not that anybody knew wtf it was anyways...)....

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 04:24 PM

Ducati's hold their value? So why was blue book on my one year old 999 $9,400!!!
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs
Ducati's hold their value? So why was blue book on my one year old 999 $9,400!!!

Exactly, my buddy turned over 3 Duc's in the last 5 years, he lost his ass on all of them.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:05 PM

I would buy an Aprilia before a 999 Duc anyday. But thats just me.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy
Exactly, my buddy turned over 3 Duc's in the last 5 years, he lost his ass on all of them.

hmmmmm
i've very simliar issues with my BMWs over the years...
anyone looking to "hold money" on 2-wheeled investments....
except for H-D.... 10 YEARS AGO..... is playing a losing game of Russian Roulette, as far as i am concerned

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastf4
I would buy an Aprilia before a 999 Duc anyday. But thats just me.
Depending on if I blow up my 996 again, I might have the same opinion...

My answer to the original question:

Brand recognition. 100%. It can't really be performance. I do admit that Ducatis have a certain feel to them that nobody can match, and the MV has something slightly similar. The Aprilia even feels slightly japanese, but obviously isn't. I don't think that's really a huge part of it though.

Nobody knows what an Aprilia is. People know what a Ducati is. And people who know bikes know what an MV is, and it's even more prestigious than a Ducati for those who know. Why this is, I don't really know... I guess because it's purty.

'01 F4S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode