Monies aside....is it worth buying the Magnesium parts?? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Monies aside....is it worth buying the Magnesium parts??

Is it worth buying? I'm familiar with rotational inertia, etc, but is buying the Magnesium parts like the wheels swingarm, lower triple, framplates, hub and spindle worth it? Does the ride change any afterwards? I'm talking rigidity, does it feel any different aside from feeling lighter?

I was also thinking of buying the complete Ti bolt kit...should lower a good amount of weight on the Brutale while looking pretty damn swank.

Any input?

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:34 PM

I rode a bike with the cast mag wheels (made by Marvic instead of Brembo, but are the same design as stock, same as Oro) almost back to back with mine. The bike had some better suspension components and it was a race bike so that skews the results a little, but it definitely was noticeable how much better it turned and the suspension was a lot better. A lot of that was due to suspension work, but unsprung weight might have been part of it.

If cutting weight is your goal, I would start with the unsprung parts.

Really hard to say if the rest is worth it. If someone has done the replacement and has advice, I'd like to hear it too.

'01 F4S
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

I also readf somewhere lifespan is ~5 years??? wtf??? Is that true? Also, wth are you supposed to do about that?

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 12:55 AM

I don't think it would be any stiffer, just lighter.
Also, you should replace magnesium parts periodically, because unlike some other alloys, they fail catastrophically, without any warning or stress cracks, so you must pre-emt them.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 03:48 AM
Red face

Sounds like the answer to the original question (unless you have money to burn) is a NO then!

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
Is it worth buying? I'm familiar with rotational inertia, etc, but is buying the Magnesium parts like the wheels swingarm, lower triple, framplates, hub and spindle worth it? Does the ride change any afterwards? I'm talking rigidity, does it feel any different aside from feeling lighter?

I was also thinking of buying the complete Ti bolt kit...should lower a good amount of weight on the Brutale while looking pretty damn swank.

Any input?
It depends by your money and how much you are a good rider!...I think....
pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 10:39 AM

New Site Garage
Great...Really looking forward to replacing my swingarm, frame plates, etc., for the purpose of preventative maintenance...Can't WAIT to get that bill!

Luckily I don't have Mag wheels!

Griff
twoeleven
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoeleven
Great...Really looking forward to replacing my swingarm, frame plates, etc., for the purpose of preventative maintenance...Can't WAIT to get that bill!

Luckily I don't have Mag wheels!

Griff
twoeleven
That was my main fear....cause I mean, that would suck ass to have to do every coupla years....

Anybody else have any input? So it's just lighter? Not stiffer or anything else coming along with the reduced weight?

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 10:05 PM

I'd like to know if there is a difference between cast and forged as well. I believe most of the MV parts are cast mag. You can really see the casting marks on the stuff. I looked at a Brutale Oro really close for a while. It's really weird to see the casting marks on such an upscale bike... I guess it's in fashion or something?

'01 F4S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
That was my main fear....cause I mean, that would suck ass to have to do every coupla years....

Anybody else have any input? So it's just lighter? Not stiffer or anything else coming along with the reduced weight?
umm...it's also more expensive, and gold colored?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode