MV Agusta Forum banner

Hunt & Sheene: when playboys ruled the world

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MvMerito 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I remember those days.....I wanted to be one of those playboys....RIP Barry and James.

#3 · (Edited)
Me too Ed.

They showed that programme on the TV here a few months ago and it was repeated the other night. They certainly burned the candle at both ends those guys.

It's very true that modern sportsmen and women don't get the opportunity to express themselves in the way that their counterparts did 30 or 40 years ago. There's such a high level of sponsorship money now that the individuals are wrapped in cotton wool by their managers and to an extent alienated from the public. They are in a respect in danger of becoming automatons, too scared to fart on camera in case their sponsors pull the plug.

Hunt and Sheene were great characters, Nastase and McEnroe from the world of tennis were too, Ian Botham the cricketer, Alex Higgins the snooker player, I could name many more from the 70's and 80's. I think most sports stars these days come over as fairly bland in terms of character and flair, if those are the right terms. OK, Tiger Woods has had his well publicised affairs thrust into the limelight recently, but he was never a bad boy in the sense of flawed genius. In Formula one, Hamilton, Vettel and Co almost send me to sleep with their post race interviews, 'well the team did a great job today' etc. etc. I could almost write the script myself!

Time to put the rose tinted glasses of yesteryear away again for a while, Lol.

#9 ·
Likewise, I remember being about 5 and seeing James Hunt & Barry Sheene being interviewed and distinctly remember thinking how cool they were, brilliant role models :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.