MV Agusta Forum banner

Help I Need A New Tank For F4

3K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  gotojoe 
#1 ·
I Just Got The Bad News That My Tank Rusted Out.. Any One Have A Used One Out There For An 2002 F4?? Or Know Where I Can Find One For A Reasonable Price??

Rob

#16 · (Edited)
I believe the 2010 models are plastic.

I also believe if I put a magnet on my 09 bike's tank it wouldn't be falling off

Water will not mix with regular petrol either. If I left my tank empty f water vapour would condense on inside of tank and collect at the bottom.

There is a drain plug at the bottom of the tank.

I am away from my bike but, If the drain isn't lower than the lowest point in the tank then this corrosion could occur in bikes in Europe too.

I have heard that the ethanol fuel itself attacks the plastic of the 2010 tanks ?

#32 ·
#13 ·
CAG is Carl...do a search...he is a site sponsor and an all-around good guy. He deals in used good condition MV parts

#18 ·
#19 ·
Thought you'd like the short answer. Here's the long one.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
aha ..

I was smiling at Yes !

I have been using Stabil for years now every winter I swish it in my tank before I store it...It's not readily available in UK but I found some on ebay . I do notice it on shelves at Walmart and Autozone.

Oh well, Tomorrow I pack my little suitcase and fly away from the Snowy streets of Lynn to a warmer place !..ok it's wetter ..but warmer..and at least our precipitation goes generally down the drains as it falls.

I'll be back when the gardens are green again !

joe :smoking:

#20 ·
If you read the concentration of active chemical in an of the products for this purpose you will see that most use the same compound but raise the concentratio to as much as double. I have routinely used the "long term storage" measurement and doubled that. Same result, lower price.

#22 ·
Ethanol is HYDROPHYLIC, it absorbes water. Think DRYGAS...that product was, and still is ETHANOL.
ONce the etahanol has absorbed its share of water, it separates and sinks. Keep the water out by keeping your tank FULL.

#23 ·
I just looked up this on a marine engine site..FWIW I find it interesting.

So Ethanol based fuels are hygroscopic..They actively absorb water and then the water rich mix settles towards the lower level of the fuel...

nasty

You will still get water condensing inside tanks containing regular fuel..It's just not as readily absorbed by the fuel...So you will still get tanks containing regular fuel rotting due to water gathering at the bottom.

a significant point is that ethanol fuel will absorb water molecules therefore weakening the mixture and so your bike will run leaner...

keep your tank full and fresh ! :blah:

#27 ·
Regular Stabil will not help with the ethanol...you must buy the Stabil specifically designated as ethanol treatment.

Several products on the market now to deal with the disaster that the ethanol industry and our government have foisted upon us. All gas grades have ethanol, up to 10 % (god help us, 15% soon) not just the premium grades.

The Marine industry really suffer from this crappy ethanol gas..that was the impetus for development of chemical treatments to prevent phase separation.

Yamaha has a Service Bulletin that states current ethanol gas has a shelf life of about 14 days. Not a problem with our cars that get fresh gas constantly...BIG problem with anything not used frequently, especially if kept in a humid environment (boats?).

The motorcycle techs I know say that they are doing more carburetor cleanings the past couple of years then they can ever remember doing before......

I swear by Star Tron....there are some others on the market now as well.

Take a look at these sites:

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

http://www.valvtect.com/ethanol.asp

http://www.boatbandit.com/crc-phaseguard4-ethanol-fuel-treatment-9207.aspx

#28 ·
Ed, what is the chemical difference between Star Tron and Stabil and Marine Stabil?

As I recall, when researching this, the chemical ingredient that does the work is the same for all three. Each does have a different concentration though. I am going to have to go back and look again because...and I'll put this in print for the world to see...I respect your opinion and knowledge level.

I have used Stabil in ALL of my gasoline engines, from my weedwhacker to my Dodge Ram with no problem whatsoever during long term storage or daily use. My Ducati Monster S4Rs tank and Cindy's Monster 695 tank both suffered minor deformation, but that was during summertime use when I DID NOT USE any stabilizer in the fuel. Oh, and my dealer noticed it, ordered the tank, and changed it for free.

#31 ·
Ed, what is the chemical difference between Star Tron and Stabil and Marine Stabil?
No clue.....never looked into it. The Star Tron is readily available in my area and cheap in a per use cost basis.....and I haven't had to clean the carbs on my SV track bike since I started using it (sits inactive for long periods). I used to have to clean them just about any time I was prepping for a track day.

I know a bunch of motorcycle techs using it in their personal bikes and claiming improved fuel mileage in commuting to and from work.

Also found some stuff in Gulf Shores Alabama (we're talking HUMIDITY here) that the marine and motorcycle techs claim has tested better then everything else, but I can't find it in my area, and can't remember the brand name.

Here's an article with some more info:

http://www.fuel-testers.com/fuel_ad...esters.com/fuel_additives_gas_treatments.html

#30 ·
We've talked about this before but I was really amazed/annoyed/astonished (please delete as you think applicable) when I took the tank off my (at the time less than 1 year old 1000S) and found traces of rust on the top inner surface of the fuel tank.

#33 ·
John, My mate has parked/dumped his 1976 BMW R65 outside for the last 12 years. The fuel has evaporated out of it. It has had no protection other than a bike cover which regularly blows off in the wind.

I took the tank off a month ago.

I peeped inside it with a torch expecting a view like the engine room on the Titanic.
There is no rust whatsoever..The metal inside the tank is as clean and bright as the day it left the factory...

When I asked how come there's no rust my mate said.." It's a BMW "

joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.