MV Agusta Forum banner

MV and Hong Kong ownwership

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  MW_mv 
#1 ·
Are their any owners of MV in HK????? I'm being moved and want to bring my bike but their are no dealers that I can find.

I don't know if I will hit a wall of red tape trying to bring it in at customs...I know this is the case for cars in many countries, not sure about bikes, or HK in particular.

Any info would be appreciated.

S

#2 ·
To bring a bike into HK is not too hard but there is ALOT of red tape you have to go though.
I only know one shop in Hong Kong which sells MV, there are in the Hong Kong Island side. The shop is called Man Wai Motorcycle centre in Shau Kei Wan.

#3 ·
Couple friends of mine have moved there and had nothing good to say about riding there.....

Hope you can sort something out....

#6 ·
Are their any owners of MV in HK????? I'm being moved and want to bring my bike but their are no dealers that I can find.

I don't know if I will hit a wall of red tape trying to bring it in at customs...I know this is the case for cars in many countries, not sure about bikes, or HK in particular.

Any info would be appreciated.

S
When you reach the New Territories of HK (mainland or China side), the roads are nice and windy (and in places very beautiful and 'country-like"). But the majority of time will be spent sharing roads with every person / car / truck/ taxi / mopeds and bicycles where even Moses couldnt weave himself through.
Also, they are experts in copying genuine parts that are not as good as the originals. I would never trust getting an MVA serviced there or any other high priced commodity item.
When you get to HK, go to Central in the "City" and take a double decker bus to Stanley Markets - and sit upstairs in the front seat. This trip is better than the best amusement ride! And if you are keener, take the trip towards end of peak hour traffic where it's still busy, but everyone is travelling faster......:jsm:
Then make the decision as to whether you should ride a motorbike in Hong Kong....
In the middle of summer (or about 8 mths in the year), it's hot, sweaty and humid. About 40C and 90% humidity) With a suit on, much much warmer and wet !
I lived in HK for nearly 4 years.

#8 ·
Also from what I understand, the police are no joke. Friend of mine caught speeding, lost license, told he'd be in jail if caught again. Won't get away with as much as japan!!

#9 ·
Chin sai wan do sam ho, mgoi (my HK address in Cantonese)

OK, not sure of the time it takes before a 'crime' cannot be chargeable.....
When I was 17 yrs old I decided to (show off and) take my cousin visiting from Canada on a tour of Hong Kong in my mother's BMW. We were driving through Central, The Peak, Wong Nai Chung Gap and down into Repulse Bay and onto Stanley Markets. We were driving for a good 2 hours, when lo and behold, there was a police checkpoint ahead (checking for illegal immigrants) and checking HK ID's - if you live in Hong Kong, you MUST have a "HK ID Card" on you at all times - this is a legal requirement to ensure that NO illegal immigrants enter HK from China and if you don't have one on your person, you will be placed 'under arrest' until they verify who you are. This HK ID Card has picture, address, date of birth etc...
So, coming up to the roadblock, I was absolutely shitting myself !:jsm:
Here I was driving my mums BMW (without her knowledge and with Dad overseas on business), under age (you have to be 18yrs old to learn to drive in HK) and with no licence. Anyway, the policeman came up to our car (I think I peed my pants a little bit!!) BUT when he saw two '"******'s" ("white ghosts" - the term for white caucasian males) in the car, he just waved us by.....
We found out later that the police were always careful when stopping/interviewing white caucasians as they could never tell who our parents might be (ie. high ranking expats in government or whatever). I just think that this time we were lucky......
(The following week I took Dad's Merc out for a drive and actually met Stanley Ho, one of HK's most wealthiest men, and later that day the owner of "Crocodile" - the copycat of clothing company "la Coste" - but that's another 2 stories...!)
Today, with China looking after Hong Kong, I reckon you would have no chance doing what I did when it was under British rule...
God save the Queen...:)

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I am all too familiar with H.K., and the only riding I will probably ever do is to the friggen airport. Problem is the difficulty in selling anything used in Japan. I got some tips but the prices offered me from my "DEALER", so so insulting I almost told him FU!! O!!...... I'd rather burn both my bikes in the street in front of the shop than get raped like that. I certainly understand they have to make a profit. but 30% of the value...when both bikes are still current models, with aftermarket exhaust and low kms....come on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.