MV Agusta Forum banner

Terblanche joins Norton

3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  nimno 
#1 ·
Norton Motorcycles has hired Pierre Terblanche, the man responsible for creating a range of successful models for Ducati including the 749, 888, 999, the MH900e and the Multistrada.

Terblanche left Ducati in 2007, later working for Piaggio, designing the Moto Guzzi V12 concept bikes.

Norton CEO Stuart Garner said of Terblanche’s appointment “Pierre’s experience of bringing innovative new products to the marketplace will be a vital factor in developing the Norton range, whilst paying due respect to (Norton’s) traditions. Combining his flair for original concepts with Norton’s sporting traditions, will allow us to create a range of motorcycles bearing the historic Norton badge that will be unlike anything else in the marketplace.”

http://www.motobke.co.uk

#7 ·
How about the Supermono, MH900, Hypermotard, Sport Classics, and the 888 (if he really did design that is questionable). All very cool looking bikes by anyone's standards and all done by Terblanche. Personally I even kind of like the look of the 999 series, I just never liked the feel of that bike.

The current "new" Norton does not look anything special really. I hope Terblanch will give it a bit more flair.

Not to rag on MV but they have come up with exactly 2 designs in the last 15 years (okay 3 if you count the F3 which must be considered a prototype as it has not yet reached production). The 2010s can not really be considered all new designs from a styling standpoint. It is way harder to come up with over a dozen new designs and make them all look outstanding... Ducati has done very well in that arena IMHO. Unlike the crap looking bikes theJapanese or even the Germans and Austrians put out on the market. :green::barfalot:

#10 ·
Well I've seen some comments that the F3 is the most beautiful bike ever created. It is not designed by Tamburini - so there may be someone even better than the Great Tambo?!?

I agree that Tamburini is the best designer to date. Not just because of the way his creations look, but also because of the way his motorcycles are put together - simple but effective. Tambo's designed bikes are the nicest to work on. He understood motorcycles in their entirity, not just the styling aspect.
The lesser understanding of the big picture is what makes all other designers inferior to Tamburini, IMO.

None the less, Terblanche did create many beautiful bikes but they are not nearly as nice to work on as Tamburini bikes. To lable him as a bad designer is a bit ignorant. Anyone seen the prototype Guzzis at EICMA he did a year ago or so? Stunning!!!

#13 · (Edited)
IMHO - Terblahhh wasn't the worst, but certainly was one of the worst.

I think Tamburini said it best when he simply said "Terblanche does not know how to combine 'style' and 'function' together as one".

Supermono - Tamburini held his hand (from what I understand)

Gran Canyon - His first real venture. Have you ever worked on one? Ever tried to adust the valves on the vertical cylinder? Pure crap.

MH900e - Copy of old Ducati - worked over lines - not real tough. 2 gallon tank (remember what Tamburini said of him - style, function).

999 - Ugliest Ducati superbike made. Have you ever worked on one?Ugh.

Multistrada - :green: Turning windshield :laughing:

Sport Classics - Once again - copy cats with worked over lines.

Hypermotard - probably the coolest design he pen'd, but nothing really special.

The day Ducati made Terblahhh the head designer was a sad day. Hopefully it won't be as bad for Norton.

I haven't bought a Ducati since my '95 916 (which I still own), except for the MH. I sold that because I couldn't ride over 75 miles without running out of gas (style, function quote).

TERBLAH:green::green::green:

We all have opinions..... These are my simple observations.

#14 ·
IMHO - Terblahhh wasn't the worst, but certainly was one of the worst.

Really, have you not seen the current CBR1000, the current R1, the BMW S1000RR, the KTM RC8, the newest Hayabusa (possibly the king of uglyness), the Kawi Z1000, the Suzuki Gladio...... shall I go on? None of those were designed by Terblanche but man - are those bikes disgusting!!

I think Tamburini said it best when he simply said "Terblanche does not know how to combine 'style' and 'function' together as one".

+100, see my previous post.

999 - Ugliest Ducati superbike made. Have you ever worked on one?Ugh.

Ugliest Ducati Superbike-yes. But still better than all competition except for MV

I haven't bought a Ducati since my '95 916 (which I still own), quote]

Still own my 95 916 too. Can't beat that bike for design AND functionality!!

#21 ·
Crashtoomuch you are an island of sanity in a sea of haters. I kinda figured the tone of the thread before I clicked on it. Why does everyone love to dis PT so much? Give the poor guy a chance, of course unless you personally designed a better motorcycle from the ground up yourself.

#22 ·
'PT' is vying for 'my' dollars
If you went to a high end resturant and the cook did not make your meal into any eatable form, would you just happily swallow and pay them and say "give the cook a break, he hits good 50% of the time, i just caught him on a bad year"
You pay money for good products.
Ducati made a mistake by trying to pass this off as a product the masses would want.
They were wrong. It happens. No faults and even better they learned from it. Should PT stop designing?
Hell no! Should he learn his market...........hmmmmmmmmm maybe if he want to continue to work for companies who wish to make profit. I think norton is taking the chance on him because they recognize the dude has talent. Lets just hope he uses 'the force' for good this time.
And i think you got it backward, the haters are out in the real world while the PT lovers are on the island, but it is ok! there is pleeeeeeeeeeeanty of room for you couple of guys to frolic and talk about 'cutting edge designs' :)
hahahahahha
JFWY

Tree

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.