a scenario we need to be able to deal with - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

a scenario we need to be able to deal with

The bend is tightening up big time. The road surface is wet and greasy ; you're on the apex ready to peel off but you've got the lean wrong for the tightness of the curve..Nowhere to go ? There is a big rig headed towards you .....

What would you do

This can and does happen unexpectedly..for me when I'm relaxed and on an unknown stretch of road..all of a sudden that steady 60mph is fcuking quick and you only have a millisecond to respond......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 AM

New Site Garage
Hhmm

Crikey Joe, you come up with some weird shit.
How do you peel off the apex and get caught out by a corner? If you are on the apex then you see the exit, if not, you are not on the apex, in most cases this is true.
Don't drive around relaxed doing 60mph if you don't know the road or can't see ahead of you.
Or just do what I do, shut my eyes and open it up....

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

You're right Donsy, but we can all get caught out. I was in Donegal last year in Ireland and was going round a gentle curve with a rock wall on my left...The curve had been long and gentle for half a mile or so and the terrain was like that typically all afternoon...The road suddenly went into a hairpin left...It can happen and to be fair I did what you said

counter pressure, throttle , eyes shut and three Hail Marys !

anyway..You are a track boy and you know stuff I don't so lets hear it !!!
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Established Member

Trust your tyres, lean further, look where you want to go exit corner....

Or dont take the racing line on the road on corners you dont know
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Yes Alan ..better a low side than a high side...A point to keep well in mind on bikes ( without overstating the obvious ) is ya can't afford to lose concentration for half a second even...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Established Member

+1 to that Joe!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

It's just a bit of fun..so thank you Alan...The track boys will roll their eyes but whilst I try not to lose concentration..It can happen..and you need the method in order to get through the situation in one piece.

There will be low hours riders who don't even know what counter steering is or that if you open the throttle the bike will pick up on its suspension..Such a rider will hit the front brake in that instance...exactly the wrong thing to do..

I crave more knowledge on bike handling and safety strategies and I was a bit surprised that we didn't get more input on this thread....however ,,,such is life !

cheers

joe
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 AM

Joe -as Alan said trust your tyres & lean further unless of course you've got those bloody Pirelli Supercorsa pros (you said it was wet and greasy!) in which case shift yer ass and get yerself leaned over - worked every time for me - so far
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Ta very much..Yeah ..I reckon a few track sessions would be good for overall confidence and knowledge of what the bike will do...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:36 AM

New Site Garage
Smile Hhhmm

Joe
It's all good to sit and smile and see who says what, you can't teach people to ride on the internet, you are playing with people's live's. Rider training days and track training days and lotsa time on the road is the only way to learn how to ride these powerful bikes of the 21st century.

People will start blaming tyres for their crashes, when you don't even know if they had the correct tyre pressures and suspension set-up on that brand of tyre.
How many guy's do you know who will tell you if you see a wet patch in the road, best thing to do is keep the gas constant, almost everybody will tell you to shut the gas but don't hit the brakes. Shutting the gas is the same to the tyres as hitting the front brake....watch the comments on this !
One of the best was a 40+ gent on a Z1100 telling us how he uses his back brake for steering and to steady the bike coming out of corners, well done Eddy Lawson !
I was a assistant coach at a race school recently, and when the question was asked, 3 of the 10 guys in the group still used their BACK brake as the primary option. All on GSXR's and CBR's. WTF.

I rode bikes on the road most of my life, but only VERY recently started racing, I do not pretend to know everything, but I do know you are opening a Big Pandora's Box and that is probably why you have not had such a big response to your thread. ; )
Do you realise how many people know what the APEX of a corner is, or a Negative camber corner, or a tyre pressure gauge for that matter.
One fella, bless his good heart, came to a track day and promptly told the other guys that he will be taking it easy as he's got new tyres on, he has only done about a 400km on them and is still scrubbing them in. WTF.
I say this much, ride within your limits and go do some track days, it is well worth it and will teach you what your bike can do, and how much you really know, in a controlled environment, so you don't have to panic, hopefully, when you run across those surprises on the road.
Just my 2 cent's worth

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode