MV Agusta Forum banner

something completely different

809 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  gotojoe 
#1 ·
Completely different strand but...

Has anybody out there ever replaced an intake manifold gasket on a ( 96 ) Ford Explorer ? Just wondered what components have to be removed to get to it. The Haynes manual has you practically dismantling the engine to get to the thing.

tia

joe

#2 ·
Completely different strand but...

Has anybody out there ever replaced an intake manifold gasket on a ( 96 ) Ford Explorer ? Just wondered what components have to be removed to get to it. The Haynes manual has you practically dismantling the engine to get to the thing.

tia

joe
Which engine and what is wrong? Some 4.0 engines had issues with upper intake gaskets which are not a big deal.

#3 ·
Cheers ...The car is my girlfriends and by coincidence it is in New England on the North Shore.

It has a coolant leak at the back of the engine at that gasket position...It's a 4.0 L V6

I found a bit of loose gasket in the area where the coolant was hissing out. The gasket material was rubbery in texture...

Appreciate your help

joe

#4 ·
My labor guide states it is a 4 hour job. Given the age, I'd quote 5 hrs as an estimate. Any broken bolts would be extra. It doesn't look too bad of a job. Just nuts & bolts & time as long as nothing breaks. The only special tool you will need is to disconnect the fuel lines. Often procedures tell you to take more apart than neccessary. Just give a careful look before removing / disconnecting parts to determine if really needed. My guide also suggests looking carefully at the mating surfaces on the intake for pitting. If minor, some xtra silcone sealer would likely be OK, if there is a lot of pitting, replacement might be needed.

#5 ·
Cheers....that's a good help...appreciate your guidance. I'm not going to do it. I have thought about it but it's not ideal on the driveway.If any bolts shear I'm in the shitenhousen ! I am going to buy the gaskets and let her nephews do it as they are qualified auto-mechanics..I'm not ! I think a pro's 5 hours could become a very ,very long cold job on the driveway...

Just trying to work out which gaskets to get..I know there is an upper and a lower intake gasket..

I'm trying to keep the costs down for her as the nephews aren't as aufait with ordering off the net as I am so it makes sense if I grab the parts...

many thanks again for your guidance.

joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.