Breaking in a new engine - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Breaking in a new engine

Came across an article on breaking in four-stroke engines, completely at odds to everything I've ever done.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Briefly, run the engine hard for 20 miles and then change the oil. Use petroleum oil for 1500 miles before synthetic.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 AM

ooooohhh!
Did you see what he asked????
(You'll be sorry :-) )
Ha ha hahahahha

(This is almost as bad as the oil question!!!) :-)

I am sorry dude, I will stop. I just couldn't help it.

I am not going to give an opinion though, because it would only be what everyone here will be able to provide, an opinion (unless they were the engineers of the MV's)
You are going to have to look at everyone's strategy, bump that against the manf. recommendations and then follow your heart.

Sorry for the heckling :-)

Tree

Last edited by TreeMV #2; 01-02-2011 at 11:06 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
So he has broken in 300 engines using that procedure with no problems. How many has he broken in that had big problems? More, fewer? That seems like a lot of engines. Until you compare it to, say, the number of factories building engines for cars, boats, motorcycles, atv's etc. who all run their engines on some sort of dyno before delivery just to make sure they are within spec.

I would ignore it. Follow the break in procedure in the manual for your bike.

You: "Hey the engine in my new bike blew up."
Dealer: "Did you follow the recommended break in procedure."
You: "No, but I read on the internet..."

Last edited by CAG; 01-02-2011 at 11:32 AM.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 AM

+1 to Carl's suggestion.

Isn't the idea of the run in to allow components to bed in without excessive heat/expansion in order to get the optimum clearances...

joe
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Given that manufacturing tolerances are now so exact compared to just a few years ago, the main function of a run-in period is to bed the piston rings with the cylinders to achieve an effective seal.
A magazine article I have, tested a 6 year old CBR 600 on the dyno and found that it was down on power.
Solution was to run it to max revs a few times and they gained useful H.P. that way. Explanation was that modern lubrication and the high output of modern engines did not allow proper running in.
I still think that all the moving parts within an engine need some time to bed in. Just which is the best way to do this I will leave to the makers.

oldnfast(ish) Racing towards old age
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM

why has no one done an objective testing on bikes to see the best way to run in an engine?
I know manf. are conservative about EVERYTHING, but no one has done a back to back in a lab.
I know a crap load of racers who do the 'short and hot' break in, and i wonder do the manf. not let 'regular joe' do it because he may mess it up and it become a warranty issue.
you dont have to answer, just thinking out loud.

Tree
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

You'd have to be brave, I agree. But to use the engine with a bit of purpose for 20 miles and then change the oil again (not abusing it), doesn't sound too extreme. It's the bit about waiting until 1500 miles before using synthetics again that sounds dodgy.

I've no plans to buy a new bike and try this out any time soon - anyone else fancy a go?

I have to say that I've driven many new cars in my time, all were used 'briskly' within a very short period (and continuously throughout their life) and none suffered noticeable damage as a result. I drove some of them subsequently to 150,000 miles (also a couple of bikes to 90,000 miles). On the other hand, I knew some cars that were thrashed at new and all turned into complete dogs by comparison.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Yes, I would love to hear on that thing too, I have read that website before. I know there are fey guys on this forum who used to be or still are engine builders, so I hope they chime in.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
First off...the oil MV recommends is a full synthetic oil. So much for that.

Second off, racers don't use long break-in periods because they plane to rebuild their engines routinely. Do you?

Third off, piston rings need some brief high pressure to develop a good seal, but a lot of plain bearings and contacting surfaces inside the engine as well as the chassis, need to get to know each other before seeing high loads and heat.

You also need some break-in time to get used to the new ride. Call it fore-play.

You can do what you want, but I prefer to follow to manufacturers recommendations....and my bikes have enjoyed long trouble free lives (except my racers.....new pistons and clutch plates every race outing on the old TR3 Yamaha as example).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I have to say that I've driven many new cars in my time, all were used 'briskly' within a very short period (and continuously throughout their life) and none suffered noticeable damage as a result. I drove some of them subsequently to 150,000 miles (also a couple of bikes to 90,000 miles). On the other hand, I knew some cars that were thrashed at new and all turned into complete dogs by comparison.
I have never followed manufacturers run in periods on any new cars or new bikes.

My wife has thrashed 2 new Audis up to 90,000kms. Nothing has blown up, both ran like a charm. My 2yr old Ducati has 20,000km and runs like a gem. I ignored the run-in.

All our vehicles have frequent oil changes and maintenance. IMO that is more important than the run in period.

All these cars/bikes with low kms needing engine rebuilds are because of owners not doing proper maintenance. If it was because they didn't follow a 1,000km run in scheme, all my cars/bikes would have blown up by now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode