How do you deal with a near miss? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

How do you deal with a near miss?

It happens from time to time...a near death experience.. normally because of some chopper in a car who is not interested in bikers... so, someone pulls out in front of you, then spots you as you take evasive action.. you both hit the brakes and fortunately avoid a collision... you've both stopped and you can feel the adrenaline....then you make eye contact... now what?
Over to you!

Keep 'er lit up to f***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Oh crap...been there way too many times. Usually I end up with some selected hand gestures if I haven't pee'd in my pants yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Motovation is now on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty lee View Post
so, someone pulls out in front of you, then spots you as you take evasive action.. you both hit the brakes and fortunately avoid a collision... you've both stopped and you can feel the adrenaline....then you make eye contact... now what?
Over to you!
I grab the shit from my pants and fling it at their car.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpdesk View Post
I grab the shit from my pants and fling it at their car.
You owe me a new iPhone, I just spit my Crown and Ginger all over this one!

I literally laughed out loud.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethead View Post
I literally laughed out loud.
me too

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 PM

I'd be looking at getting moving again so that the near miss doesn't turn into a whack up the rear end by the following traffic...
All that giving the finger and swearing is low class it doesn't help and we bikers should hold the high ground. Anybody can get it wrong and pull out on a biker..or another vehicle.It's called being human..
When I get home after something like that..I weigh it up and discuss it with my mates and try to develop better strategies to improve my riding...eg was my position on the road correct for maximum visibility by the driver.? Did I use all the road signs before the junction to judge my entry into the hazard zone ? Was I too close to the vehicle in front ( thereby rendering myself invisible ). Did I assess the terrain approaching the junction eg bend,dips, high hedges and parked vehicles etc. Was I going too fast ? remember a car driver turning onto a 50mph road is expecting to see traffic at 50mph..not 80-90----etc

oh well that's my take on what to do after a near one
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 PM

There are just allot of people out there that don`t belong behind the wheel. I`ve been in a fire truck with lights and siren and have been cut in front of. They are just too busy with there important life or busy texting.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
All that giving the finger and swearing is low class it doesn't help and we bikers should hold the high ground.
Some slapper in a BMW almost hit me when i was doing a burnout at a set of lights.

I held the moral highground, ignored her and got on with the completing the rest of the circle before the light went green.

*CLICK*
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Morals..wot morals !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpdesk View Post
Some slapper in a BMW almost hit me when i was doing a burnout at a set of lights.

I held the moral highground, ignored her and got on with the completing the rest of the circle before the light went green.

*CLICK*
Ha ha..I said High ground..nuffin about morals !...I guess this is a light hearted thread so i won't get too heavy or didactic !!

I do have a bike mate in hospital though..and he'll begin learning to walk again around October 11..So you just enjoy your donuts...
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM

New England drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdamb View Post
There are just allot of people out there that don`t belong behind the wheel. I`ve been in a fire truck with lights and siren and have been cut in front of. They are just too busy with there important life or busy texting.

Yeah out in Ma. I saw one guy on his cellphone pull out in front of another guy who was busy eating a Big Mac ( which covered his face and eyes with all the wrapping paper.).They both missed each other by inches and I could tell neither one had seen the other at all. I know this as there was no finger shown by either driver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode