MV Agusta Forum banner

Canadian's take a look at this!!! Prayers answered! -- MV Agusta expanding to Canada

6K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  TrialsRider 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Official MV Press release:

Varese, December 2nd 2010 - MV Agusta enters the Canadian market appointing Motovan Corporation as its exclusive importer.

"We have finally succeeded in obtaining all of the necessary approvals from the Canadian authorities therefore the motorcycles can be imported into Canada for the very first time in the history of MV Agusta. After many inquiries from Canadian consumers, we are very proud to have reached an agreement with a reputable Canadian powersports organization such as Motovan" says Umberto Uccelli sales director MV Agusta. James Paladino, President and CEO of Motovan Corporation is an Italo-Candian who has always helped maintain Italy’s unique image. James states: "We are very happy to be associated with MV Agusta so that our passion lives on in our family. To me, this is a tribute to my father (founder of Motovan) since he worked on MV Agusta motorcycles in the 1950’s from his shop in a little village in Italy".

In the very near future, Motovan will be appointing a small number of high-level dealers in order to sell this prestigious brand and obtain good coverage for all enthusiasts who have been waiting for such a long time. For the first year, the number of motorcycles will be extremely limited therefore Motovan will be launching a website www.mvagustacanada.com which allows the serious buyer the possibility to reserve his or her motorcycle on-line.

This association with Canada demonstrates another step for MV Agusta in its worldwide network expansion plans. Soon, other announcements will be made.

MOTOVAN CORPORATION - Established in 1980, Motovan imports, exports, distributes and manufactures replacement parts and accessories for motorized recreational vehicles (Motorcycles/MX, ATVs, snowmobiles) as well as providing logistics services to other powersports organizations. Motovan is the Canadian distribution leader, boasting the largest sales team and network of powersports dealers in Canada. All reference materials, catalogs, industry information, press releases and product features can all be found on-line for your convenience at: www.motovan.com

See less See more
#4 ·
Just spoke with our Motovan rep and she says it looks like there will be bikes at the Toronto show as well as the Vancouver show. There was also mention of possible demo bikes in the various regions for those not blessed enough to have ridden one of these to take a ride and then pre-order their bikes at that time. I know being up here in the great white north and missing my MV, I can't wait until the sales are up and running so I can put a deposit down. The website should be up and running soon so keep checking into it. Cheers
:mouthwate

#6 ·
Being from Canada and trying to get one of these suckers has been a pain, hence why I don't have one yet.

Can anyone tell me if this "granted pass" to sell MV's to Canada is only for NEW bikes or does that open the doors for purchasing older MV's as well?

I am getting sick of this border protection stuff and us Canadian getting stomped with gouged DUCATI sales...here comes the MV "break your wallet" too.

Thanks for your help guys.

#7 ·
Tendy, you can get one now as long as it's for the track. I spoke with a rep from the RIV and as long as 'any motorcycle' is for 'closed course' your good to go. My plans were to get a F3 when available in the USA and bring it up in 'track bike form' under the exemption rule. However there would be no way in hell to stick plates on it. Besides, where else can you truly experience one of these bikes if not on the track? I've got more track km's on my Aprilia than I do road km's. Now that the bikes are going to be sold here that eliminates a big hassle of going to the USA for parts/service. If they put these bikes on the RIV list then prices shouldn't matter 'cause you could still import it relatively easy and get it serviced up here.

#8 ·
When I asked that question about importing older/ used bikes, the answer I got was that they were going to try to only let in new bikes as to keep the dealers happy and fed, so to speak. The market would get inundated with used imports and not as many new would be sold, that from Motovan. As far as the track bike rule goes, it has to signed off by a sanctioning body for "race series". When I asked exactly what that meant, they said it had to signed off by the sanctioning body of a recognized association/ organization that they, the RIV, recognize.

#9 ·
SOB's it's always about the money and the control. Even with the granting of MV in Canada there are still two guys in Canada trying to sell their legal MV's for double and tripple the price. Kajiji Toronto has a 2001 MV agusta with 15000km's on it, guy asking low $20's. The other gentleman on this website is asking $35k for his AGO. This is leading me away from the MV decision as I love this bike to death and desire one considerably but for the hassle's I am getting extrmely fed up.

I don't know much about the Bimota's but they are very interesting as well. Does anyone recommend them or are these banned from Canada as well?

#11 · (Edited)
This is great news for me. On many other forums my username is Darrenmv, because of my love for the MV. I've been waiting patiently and building my stable with the other 2 italian models I desired. With an RSVR and an 848, i'm ready for another bike, an italian inline 4. I don't want 3 big twins, or even 2 for that matter hence the 848 instead of a 1098. The triumverate will be complete for me when i finally land the f4. after that, perhaps an f3 or brutale. I hope the pricing is fair. if not, with the high cdn dollar I don't have a problem shopping south. I'd prefer a local dealer though, but only as long as pricing is fair. no bullshit pricing please.

Attachments

#12 ·
dmartin, I'm with ya on the pricing. If they are too over priced then I'll be shopping south as well. However, if RIV doesn't put them on their list I'll only be getting one, the F3. Aprilia's weren't on the list until about '05/'06. Had to really bend over to the tune of 32k for the second RSVR factory that entered the country. Once they were on the RIV, guys were bringing them in new for less than 20k. Now you can pick up a used one on ebay for less than 10k.

#13 ·
for b42day:

3 day's, 8 hours, and 24 minutes smart a** (if you are taking a jab at us cdn's). If you are actually enquiring. We usually can ride from Mid-April until mid November. April involves the road cleaners as they use sand and salt in the winter and you don't want any corrosion on your bike until they do a road sweep. Also, if you take your bike out before then you can wreck two Ducati's like I did. It was snowing last week and by 1pm there was no snow on the roads and I saw some crazy a** riding still.

Other than that, why do you ask?

#14 ·
Thanks for the answer. I was truly curious. I travel a lot there (airline crew) and the weather up there can be a challenge sometimes, so I always wondered....I also rarely see any bikes on the road up there.

Sorry if I came across as offensive. Never my intention.

Girls though....that's another matter...you got some very pretty ones up there and know how to dress!!!!

Congratulations on this MV opening up the Canada market, and I truly wish pricing is reasonable so more MVs can be seen during my visits there!

#15 ·
Definitely agree. Apologies for my sarcasm. I get a lot of grief from people in the states because I am from Canada, mostly from the Ducati guys who have their noses in the air. It's tough when you are sitting in Canada watching the prices that these bikes are going for in the states and we simply are getting gouged. Perfect exam, I went to a dealer here yesterday and he wanted to sell me a DEMO 1198 S brand new for $18,000. Throw in our HST tax of 13%, that's a nice bill! Enough venting.

A tip for visits if you want to bring the bikes and see some ladies:

Up where I live, Barrie Ontario, we get a lot of snow but a lot of warm weather. I currently work in Wasaga Beach and if you want a place to go to see some women come up here for a ride. We have the longest fresh water beach in the world comprised of 5 different beaches (1-5). Do some research on it. We have a strip called Beach 1 where its a show car/bike 2 lane, one way road. There is a beach on one side and the bars/clubs on the other. Nothing shy of a Lambo, Ferrari, Desmo, and rare vehicles on weekend. Purely a summer town though.

If you are ever down, please throw a MV on the trailer for me, give me a shout and I will host you for the weekend!!

Cheers,

Alessandro

#16 ·
Greetings everyone. I just joined this forum because of the promise of MV coming to Canada. This weekend, we have a bike show in Toronto at which Motovan should be present. I'd be grateful for any future postings with news about how they are making out with establishing dealer support. The MV Canada website became active today, but there is no mention of authorized dealers yet. I also don't know if there will be any cross-border assistance for supplying parts. My fingers are crossed nonetheless.

#31 ·
Prices are listed on the CDN site. http://www.mvagustacanada.com/
You LUCKY bastards ! :)

In Australia they are charging AUD$26k-27k on the road for an F4 ! :cry:

They are arriving in late Feb 2011.

And I strongly agree that Canadian girls / women are delicious !

The snow (skiing) in Canada (Mt TreBlanc?) is awesome !

And like any country in the world, you can find fabulous and hospitable people anywhere - you just have to look in the right places!

I also have cousins living in Kanata, about 3.5 hours from Montreal.

#20 ·
Just confirmed my reservation for a red/silver f4!
Vatoloco: yes I have only seen a couple of the red rsvr's. there were many more black ones.

#21 ·
hi there all, i have had an mv for a while now an spr #141/300. awsome bike. this said its hands down better than the 749r i have as well, it is in canada and had no problem bringing it in. title,register,and insure in your us buddies name, and he or her comes with bike into canada. its supposed to stay no more than 6 months. legaly you can insure it localy and keep us plates current. i also have an 09 db7 this is the only bike better than the mv in my opinion, there are no more bimota dealers in north america, dallas tx, may have some parts left. the current line of mv is just not up to par and appears that they like getting cheap stuff in china, and taiwan too. riv may never open up mv from usa, and almost certainly will drag thier heels on it. and if they do it will be the current models, if they follow course as aprilia did. (when scootercorp went down some of the older models were admissable) its a shame because the 08 312rr is the baddest thing mv ever made

#22 ·
Hey buddy! are you bracing for the big snow tonight? As for the 312, ya i dreamt of that. Maybe i should come over for a brandy and fire that spr up for a few minutes :)

#24 ·
Hello,

Are you selling both the bimota and SPR? I have been trying to bring an 2005 MV Corse in for a few months now. A gentleman that I know is coming to Canada and will bring it in for me but I am unsure what do after the 6 month mark. I have two solutions and wondering how you do?

One I can own a 749 and simply claim I put that engine into the MV and have it insured but if I ever get caught, kiss my a** good bye.

The other option, which is suppose to be legal, is find someone with a US residency but living in Canada with a permanent status. If the US guy owns the bike, paid tax in the states on it and brings it here, then plates it in Ontario. He can sell it legally to me, in my name, and I can insure it. Not sure if you have heard of this method and does it work?

Thanks,

Alessandro

#25 ·
hi, everything is for sale i think the fun is finding it and riding. to answer the import question. no one is going to know how long this bike has been in canada for and if it has gone back and forth. you can get your friend to register it in us. he needs to accompany bike during border crossing. and he must have a current us drivers licence and resident of us. it is better if he is not a permanent resident of canada. and do this in the spring when it can be ridden. the less questions the better. or you can dissasemble bike and bring in as parts in two trips, or remove lights and mirrors and get a letter from your local race group prob. shannonville or mosport or mt.tremblant stating that this is for closed course comp. only once you have it in canada you can make it legal by registering and plating in the state it came from. some states require inspections and as a canadian you can plate,title,and insure in us. bikes are usually a one time smog check. and if you keep title in the same state transfer of ownership can be done without inspection. study riv.ca in the motorcycle section and off road notes. email me for more help, good luck and i hope i have answered some questions for ya.

#27 ·
I am one of the lucky few that have had a MV Brutale imported and registered in Canada since Jan 2005. I heard from a buddy that Motovan have a block of 90 bikes on order, so really their effort does look serious. The whole dealer thing, parts supply is a big question - it will take time to sort out. I am happy to see their pricing is comparable, within reason.

I spoke to a guy from MV USA at the Seattle show who indicated that the bikes are coming direct from MV Agusta SPa in Italy and are not equivalent to the USA version (maybe just a few stick on reflectors and 1/2" extra lenght in the indicator stems....). That is the loop hole RIV have to hang on to. I spoke to RIV about this and from the research on file, they have nothing on the horizon for allowing MV in from USA. Motovan have handily tied that up. Bit of shame really as the used bike pricing in the US is at firesale level, I would definitely be in the market for another MV.

The discussion above on using a USA resident for importing is a marginal thing to do - the Govt look at things in black and white and if you have an import bike on the road, not on the RIV list, and they deem you have been dishonest about its import status, I think they would not hesitate in impounding and disposing. It is a big risk.

#28 ·
well hopefully they've attached my name to one of those 90 :) I put my name on an f41000 through the canadian website, but who knows.

#29 ·
Would the washington state MV dealers be happy to service a canadian bike imported from italy if the service and parts are a hassle up here i wonder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.