MV Agusta Forum banner

G.o.a.t

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  gazman 
#1 ·
No, I'm not talking about four legged animals or even Rossi or Hailwood or Ago or whomever you regard as the greatest motorcycle rider. I think it might be interesting to hear which one (and only 1) road based (as opposed to racing) motorcycle you would love to own.

So in other words your Greatest Of All Time road going motorcycle.

Mine would be the Vincent Black shadow.

#6 ·
My favourite too (..obviously!?) There's absolutely nothing I'd have in its place.

As it happens, the chap I bought mine from was selling it in order to finance the purchase of a second Egli Vincent :jsm:. (The one he already had was stood next to the MV in his garage. Gorgeous bike, I'll admit, but parked up alongside the MV it looked a bit drab).

G.O.A.T..? ..is a very subjective question though, 'cause we'd all define the term greatest using different criteria, but if we're discussing the best sports bike bike ever built, the RC30 tops my list.

Steve

#10 ·
RGV 250 CHANGED MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope they bring back the two stroke to motorsports with full development.
For now i am going to get up on an RS250 :)

Also, being that mazda has been slowly moving foward with it and norton did such a good job, I would love to see a modern rotary engine bike.

and lastly, i want them to bring in a modern super sport version of the Yamahas GTS!! Imagine a race rep with a 600 engine!! With modern technology, you could trim the fat that it had to better assist the smaller engine!!

Oh yes, and for looks, benelli tornado tre. The 900 is another bike that can use a touch of evolution (and i dont mean the 1130, i mean modern technology coaxing out the performance, not displacment. Whats the deal with Italians? there answer to everything is "throw displacment at it") :)

#15 ·
RGV 250 CHANGED MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope they bring back the two stroke to motorsports with full development.
For now i am going to get up on an RS250 :)

I'm with you re the RGV 250, now have an rs too, 17 was a pivotal age, discovered what beer, an RGV and girls were all for, oh how times were so less complicated :)

#11 ·
Can't pin it down to one. I have a lot of favorites, is it the first larger displacement bike I bought just after high school (Suzuki gs 750), or the Ducati Paso I had to have from the first time I saw it, or the MV that is a thrill just to look at, or one of the dozen or so in between them? None may not be on the all time list, but memory wise they all had some greatness on my list. (side note; the Harley XR 1000 was a great pain in the ass!)

#13 ·
Hey Erik, I only ever saw the one Van Veen OCR, if I recall correctly it belonged to Henk Vink the drag racer, he was a regular visitor to my local drag strip at Elvington in the 70's, a great guy sadly missed.

#21 ·
In the Netherlands we have a classic bike exhibition named 'verhikel' there was one for sale many years ago. The Euro was not even invented. They asked fl25000,00 (€11300,00). As much as it was when new.
I thought it to be outrageous at the time. I should have bought the bike.

#20 ·
In looks, performance, historical significance, race bikes, value,.......?? That is an impossible question to answer.

My list of favorites:

Ducati 916
Ducati 996R
Ducati 888 SPS
Ducati 900SS Imola
Any of MV's 3 or 4 cylinder GP racers
Moto Morini 175 Settebello
Mondial 125 bialbero
Moto Guzzi Sport 15 or older
Moto Guzzi CV2 racer
Brough Suprior SS100
Cagiva C594
Gilera 500 otto bulloni
and more......

However, if I had to live with one bike only, which is entirely inconceivable :jsm::jsm::cry: that would be the Brutale 910R, 1078RR, or 1090RR!!

#24 ·
My dad used to talk about his ' TT Raleigh ' his father sold it on him when he was 'misisng in action" ....dad was found 18 months later as a POW in Thailand. His dad never thought he would see his son again so he sold it - times were tough back then!

I have never seen one, not even a picture. Dads' was sold to a guy in Queensland who raced it on some beaches up there!!

It was an ex Isle of Man racer!!!

Would love to have it today!!!

Anyone got a picture??

MV Agusta 312R is my choice - just love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.