Ethanol and plastic tanks on MVAGUSTA - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Ethanol and plastic tanks on MVAGUSTA

wondering if anyone has had the problem of expanding gas tanks using ethanol enriched gas?

basically do the brutales and the f-4 use the type of gas tanks that are plastic covered by a plastic outer aesthetic skin? or are they completely metal?

basically with the new ducati and other brands the plastic tanks are reacting to the ethanol in gas in the US.

the tanks deform and expand from absorbing the water from the ethanol that it absorbs from the air. basically people have bee reporting this happens in as little as 6 months but usually within 1-2 years of purchase.

has this happened with anyone here?

are the new brutales plastic or metal tanks?

Last edited by roadbiking; 11-09-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
The 2000 - 2009 F4's have metal tanks. The fuel line quick connects underneath, however.....
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Established Member

Easy fix is to use premium fuels instead of cheaper options as these are the ones with higher ethanol additive
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post
The 2000 - 2009 F4's have metal tanks. The fuel line quick connects underneath, however.....
Brutale's have plastic tanks, but i have not heard of any damage or collapsing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mac View Post
Easy fix is to use premium fuels instead of cheaper options as these are the ones with higher ethanol additive
The ethanol percentage is irrespective of octane rating, though it does vary by county and/or season--Check the labels on your local pumps.

FYI, the US is planning to allow up to 15% ethanol for '09 vehicles and up, so watch what you're putting in your tank because this WILL destroy engines not ready for it.

Let's all burn our food, that's the way to save the world.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 03:40 PM
lee

Does anyone still supply non ethanol gas? Damned if I can find it.

If you think ethanol is trouble for plastic tanks be thankful you don't own an older Bertram boat. The fuel tanks are a moulded part of the hull, can't be replaced and the ethanol is dissolving the resin.

This entire ethanol business is a major bunch of bullshit. Using corn for fuel ends up costing us more in the long run when you tally your grocery bills now vs pre ethanol. Bunch of crap if you ask me.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mac View Post
but there is no guarantee that even 93 or 95 pump gas will be ethanol free in the United States, none at all.

and ethanol free gas is damn near impossible to find anymore.

talked to one dealer and they said they are offering a service to coat the inside of the tanks that avoids the tank from absorbing the water and that it has been working for a couple of years, but no long term (obviously) assessment is done yet.

if mv has only started doing plastic tanks they may or may not start to crop up after some time in the next year or so.

Last edited by roadbiking; 11-09-2010 at 04:33 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Does anyone still supply non ethanol gas? Damned if I can find it.

If you think ethanol is trouble for plastic tanks be thankful you don't own an older Bertram boat. The fuel tanks are a moulded part of the hull, can't be replaced and the ethanol is dissolving the resin.

This entire ethanol business is a major bunch of bullshit. Using corn for fuel ends up costing us more in the long run when you tally your grocery bills now vs pre ethanol. Bunch of crap if you ask me.
There's also no environmental benefit--Adding up the total carbon output for each process, and dino-oil is actually cleaner than corn-derived.
Add to that the fact the UN world food program has had to reduce their rations by 50% directly related to plant-based fuel consumption and it becomes purely unconscionable, deplorable behavior to even consider perpetuating this massive lie and enormous drain on the US economy.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

i see that this might turn into a political arugment for and against ethanol. that wasn't the point

the fact is that in the US non ethanol gas is extremely hard to find unelss you are willing to pay a massive premium for "race fuel" which for some of us is not economically feasible for everyday or even weekend riding.

and yes the US is considering allowing up to 15% in gas to be ethanol thus compounding the problem for regular gas engines not designed for ethanol (read anything that is not a flex fuel vehicle)

its not a matter of buying expensive or cheap gas, its a matter of hopefully the mv tanks are not made of a plastic that is effected by the ethanol or not.

has anyone run into any problems with the lines int eh tanks being destroyed by the ethanol or the tank expansion issue?

that is what i'm more curious about, not so much the political banter about "green tech" or whatever, that is another thread.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
OK, guys...here ya go.....find your station at this site:

http://pure-gas.org/

And, yes, ethanol reduces power, so you get fewer miles per gallon...yep, that's what I call environmentally smart.

The marine industry is really up in arms over the E15 madness....

I also recommend this stuff:

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

just what i thought nothing even remotely around me for hundreds of miles.

and the additive is great if you don't ride much or if you store your bike over the winter,but obviously its very cost prohibitive especially with mv's getting basically terrible gas mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode