MV Agusta Forum banner

Returning after a long absence

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  J Ingram 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I haven't been on the site after replacing my '05 F4 1000 about a year ago with a Ducati Streetfighter S. I couldn't tolerate the riding position on the MV as I'm not a spring chicken any longer. I unfortunately was hit by a pickup truck on the freeway and suffered a fairly serious accident. I have been recovering at home since 9/15 and hopefully should be able to return to work in another month. I strongly considered giving up riding since my recovery has been pretty tough at times, but I just saw pics of the new F3 from a Pro Italia e- mail announcement. Wow! That bike is making me consider returning to riding again especially since I have a set of full MV leathers that I barely wore before I got my Streetfighter! It is so beautiful that I think I could buy it just to look at it! I guess that would be called garage art! I wonder if anyone knows what percentage of bike accident victims return to riding once their recovery is completed. Well, I'll keep reading about the F3 and see how I feel about returning to riding as my recovery continues.:conveyer:

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind words! I live in Southern California and was on my way to work on 9/15 at about 6:45 am. I was riding my 2010 Ducati Streetfighter S in full protective gear except for regular jeans. I had just merged from the I-15 freeway onto the I-10 freeway when I spotted a big, black pickup truck speeding along in the right hand merging lane from a local street. I had just passed a tractor trailer on my left side and was looking in the left lane to merge. When I looked back to my lane, the speeding truck dodged directly in front of me and quickly applied the brakes because the cars ahead were not going as fast as he. I strongly applied both brakes but maintained control. As I attempted to make a quick pass on the left because my front tire was very close to his bumper, he swerved to the left also taking out my entire right front end. He never stopped after hitting me and disappeared into the flow of traffic. I know he saw what he had done, but he kept going. I remember how everything became in slow motion. I remember falling and tumbling, seeing the sky and then the ground over and over. I could hear myself tumbling along the ground. When everything stopped, I was sitting in the middle of the freeway watching the bumper of the tractor trailer I had just passed coming directly towards me! I thought to myself that I was going to die today and how inconvenient it was going to be to everyone I was going to leave behind. I wondered if it would be painful and if the bumper of the truck or the front tire of the truck would hit me. Then a voice in my head told me that I HAVE to get up and run! I have to look in the other lanes first as to not get hit. The voice told me to make it to the median strip and if I could do that, then I would be safe. I recall stumbling and seeing my right hand supporting me as I made my way to the median strip. I reached that spot and dove onto my back. At that point, I had an overwhelming feeling of being safe from being hit by any other vehicle.
A very nice lady appeared in my view from my helmet and asked if I was okay, followed by another nice man asking the same. I actually thought I was going to get up and finish my commute to work. Well the short version of my long story is that I was transported by ambulance to the nearby trauma center. My physical injuries were a shattered left collarbone, ruptured right 3rd finger joint capsule, road rash on both knees and other minor bruises. I have been in a figure 8 brace since then with a right hand cast for the past month which has recently been replaced with a brace. I have an orthopedic appointment this week to see if and when I can return to work anytime soon. It has been a very emotional and physical struggle. I'm still not sure about my return to riding. I have been a very safe and skilled rider for the past 23 years and have never been in an accident. So I guess time and seeing the new MV F3 in person will tell. Thank you so much for letting me vent and shed quite a few tears as I have written this post. I'll keep everyone informed. Thanks again!
Jesse

#4 ·
Glad you are around to talk about it m8. That F3 is a real looker, but seems very small to me, you could maybe put it on the mantle piece and look at it there instead of the garage Lol.

Thanks to the grace of god (or whoever), all my spills have been relatively small, and few and far between, so I can't offer any advice on getting back on after a biggie, but if you are considering it, then you are definitely on the mend I would say.

Good luck in whatever you chose to do M8

#6 ·
I sincerely hope that you're good as new when all's said and done. Sounds like you've got the sand to climb back on. Be alot better for your ego and self image instead of bailing. Even for just an ocassional putt. Heal soon pal.

#10 · (Edited)

Glad you're not too bad Jesse, sounds like a lucky escape to me!! Have you got any X-Rays to post up on CAG's personal X-Ray thread?? Good news is that you are considering and F3....................Nothing wrong with your sense of style then!!

BTW

Hey Lee.....................you need a frigging haircut mate, the afro just doesn't suit you at all and yer ears are looking a bit droopy too.

:popcorn:

Attachments

#7 ·
Very glad to hear that you're on the mend....it must have been a nasty one ! :(

....wondered why you didn't look to a Brutale instead of the Streetfighter and F3....far more comfortable than the go-fast F4/F3's.

Cheers

#11 ·
Happy to hear the recovery is going well...now for my 2 c, I have a friend, who after his first serious accident, never rode the same and was gun shy to the point where he became a hazard to the rest of us (3-5 in our group) riding with him. Subsequently, he did get into another serious accident which he did, thankfully, recover from. Titanium helped cure him most recently. He no longer rides and seems to be getting on fine.

I guess you have to ask yourself if the pleasure derived from riding is so strong as to blind you from the potential pain that you or your loved ones may once again experience. I hate to put it like this but it's true.

#12 ·
Glad you are on the mend Jesse...Any accident is going to be traumatic and made worse by the fcuker taking off and leaving you in the street...
My friend had a bad smash end of OCt..head on bike shattered into five pieces..air ambulance , the full Monty...He had reasonable gear on..but maybe not enough..Can we ever wear enough ? It's a compromise I guess.

I'm going to spend some $$$ on kit for sure cuz I am terrible for riding out in Jeans.

I've seen riders in the States...in cut offs and bone dome helmets with pretty young girls in sneakers and "short" shorts..Looks great but I've winced watching them ride off thinking I hope that lady doesn't take a tumble on the road...

You are inspired by the F3 and that's cool to dream again..Get well, Get some decent kit and ride safe and enjoy your life....and follow your dreams..

joe

#15 ·
Wow! You guys are great. I had my orthopedic appointment today and the news is that my shattered left collarbone is not healing as well as we had hoped. There is still a significant non-union of the bones with very little callous formation to allow new bone growth to bridge the gap. So, I will be out from work for another month. We will try a bone (growth) stimulator for that time and if unsuccessful, surgery will be the next step. Drmasis made a profound statement that has stuck in my mind since it was written. I don't know if the joy or thrill of riding will outweigh the potential of going through all this again. Time and that beautiful F3 will tell. Thanks again everyone for all your kind words and great advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.