No you can't have my bike! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

No you can't have my bike!

Opened some post yesterday to find a very impolite and accusatory letter from a motor finance company, asking how & when I got their MV F4, that's seemingly now registered as mine...

GRRRRRRRRR!!!

"From an MV Agusta dealership in exchange for a very large payment. Go away, talk to them or even better chase the twit you loaned the money to" was the essence of my reply.

If they think that I'm simply going to give them the bike because their customer's defaulted on what's left of an old loan they can go jump!

Meanwhile, I just can't remember where my bike lockup is since that nasty crash on my Kwak the other week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 AM
lee

Uh Oh. Keep a sharp eye for the "Repo" men.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 AM

Damn. That's bad news.

Don't know about the laws in the UK, but if something like that happens over here the seller/dealership would be in big trouble. Not you, because you bought it "in good faith" from the dealership.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 AM

That wouldnt fly in the US. If you hold the title and bought it outright, they shouldnt have any legal recourse against you. But then again, I dont know the laws in UK very well. Good luck either way.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Established Member

If you bought from a dealership in the UK then they have breached the selling regulations regarding bike with finance on them. Contact the FSA and make them aware of what has happend.

I had a similar problem when I sold a bike to a dealer with outstanding finance the agreement was for them to pay the finance and give me a check for the remaining value of the bike. About 2 months later when I applied for finance on another bike I found out that there was still outstanding finance on my previous bike, the dealer had already sold my old bike with outstanding finance. Called the dealer in question and they appologised and paid it off there and then after being threatened with a report to the FSA.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:22 PM

There was a program on TV about this but the only cases where I seen them taking the vehicle was from a sale made where no dealers were involved. The finance company is apparently in its right to take the bike for the repayment of the loan. Reason why it is so important to check that there isn't any loan outstanding before buying a second hand vehicle in UK.

Only a Biker knows why a dog
sticks his head out of a car window.

Last edited by xeorex; 11-07-2010 at 01:26 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 PM

First thing - have a quiet (friendly) word with your dealership - it may be something to do with the previous ownership, in which case they should have sorted it out, or it may be something fraudulent - nothing to do with them.

Try to establish exactly what has happened before it all goes pear-shaped. The law where someone buys even a stolen vehicle in good faith is unclear in certain circumstances.

You don't need to have a CCJ (County Court Judgement) against you - which could affect your whole life obviously. The dealership should be able to verify your position but don't let it slide.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 PM

In the USA The lender will hold the title till it is paid off in full and then the title will go to the next owner/dealer. The title should have been released before the bike was sold.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeorex View Post
There was a program on TV about this but the only cases where I seen them taking the vehicle was from a sale made where no dealers were involved. The finance company is apparently in its right to take the bike for the repayment of the loan. Reason why it is so important to check that there isn't any loan outstanding before buying a second hand vehicle in UK.
It's the same thing here in Oz.

If you buy privately then you lose the bike/car.

If you buy from a dealership, it is law that the dealer clears all finance obligations which shields the consumer.

**Admin edited: I have you on ignore **
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Which dealer did you buy it from ? Was it there own srock or a "Sale or return" bike ?

Hope you get it all sorted.

A

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode