MV Agusta Forum banner

Why Mirrors

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Harvey 
#1 ·
Piqued by a thread on rear facing cameras.
I was reminded of a conversation between myself and a biking friend on why we still use mirrors on a bike. With technology the way it is, why don't we use rear facing miniature cameras on to a HUD (Head Up Display) monitor in the "cockpit). The display could be a dedicated part of the existing LED Console. Surely this would be safer than misaligned mirrors, that on most bikes just show you where your elbows are.

It would be nice if MV were to spearhead this kind of safety enhancement. It would also reduce drag and weight, which with the philosophy of drag and weight equalling slow, then it has to be a performance enhancement too.

Remember, you read it here.....Pat pending lol.

#3 ·
But not a legal requirement!

The only proviso is that if they are fitted they must be functional. (I am told). which is the same for a headlight, which is just as likely to suffer a malfunction as a rear facing camera, which would only result in you having to look behind you if it malfunctioned, which we all do anyway, even with mirrors. So not such a difficult task to justify.

The legislature for the rest of the world may well differ, but I suspect there are less restrictions in most places than in UK, we have the most severe fun police.

#5 ·
Wouldnt be hard to install yourself. You just have to find a place to put the LCD monitor. The whole thing would cost you about $120 to do yourself.

#6 · (Edited)
I suppose you could fit two monitors, one in each mirror,:tongue: actually, not as daft as it sounds, as you would probably keep looking at that area wondering where they were anyway Lol. You would still improve vision as you would be able to set the cameras up for a wider angle of view (and no elbows).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.