Radiator recall? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Radiator recall?

I was told by someone in the know that MV has a radiator recall going on for even out of warranty bikes. He said they crack and leak fluid on the headers and start a fire or something like that. Their shop had 3 of their MV's done at a local dealer. Havent had time to call Pro Italia and ask yet, anyone heard anything?

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester

If at first you don't succeed, use a hammer instead

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 PM

Forgive me...

Who is "someone"?
What does "in the know" mean?
Which "shop" are you referring to with "3 of their MVs"?

Now I realize you have information, which if true is important to all of us, but if you could provide a name, date, source, or any other quantifying information, it would help tremendously.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that if a known problem has been identified, it will include a recall for all bikes. Until then, thanks for the info. If you get more, please post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy View Post
I was told by someone in the know that MV has a radiator recall going on for even out of warranty bikes. He said they crack and leak fluid on the headers and start a fire or something like that. Their shop had 3 of their MV's done at a local dealer. Havent had time to call Pro Italia and ask yet, anyone heard anything?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:53 PM

The rad on my 09 312 cracked ..left side upper after under 2000 miles.It's a metal fatigue issue and obviously is a design fault..It is under warranty and will be fixed by an MV dealer under warranty.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

I met the guy at my last sunday ride on route, he came up to me and talked to me, he was also a MV owner, he works at a motorcycle shop and him and the other people there own 3 MV's between them. He said they all got their rad's changed out of warranty due to a safety recall. He instructed me to call Pro Italia and ask them about it. Thats all I know. I work long hours so I havent been able to call them and ask yet, thought you guys would know more info on it.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 AM

There is a known fault with 1000cc (pre-312) radiators although I don't believe it's ever been a recall.

Unless you run petrol in place of coolant you won't have a fire, just a lot of steam. Ask me how I know... ok, I'll tell. I've got 2 re-welded rads in the garage and am on my fourth (aparently I ride em too hard LOL).

The upper mounts on older rads were a stupid design that pulled the core apart if you hit a bump. Supposedly 312's onwards had the new design that added a double-sided mount (although my 1000R had 312 exhaust parts so there is obviously a bit of crossover between early/early models as parts bins were being exhausted). I've now got the newer design and it's been fine since.

In the UK I think out of warantee will likely equate to 'cross your fingers'.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Mine failed out of warranty at about 10k miles. MV replaced the radiator, but I paid labor (about $130). Didn't have much of a fight and was replaced within about a week.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Lightbulb Yea Right!!

Quote:
D'ya think there is a chance that they will replace the rear hub too whilst they are at it?

Attached Images

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

They will when a rider goes down because of premature hub failure and sues them for a faulty design. Im just hoping mine fails before my extended warranty runs out so I can get them to install the updated hub.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Established Member

Quote:
They will when a rider goes down because of premature hub failure and sues them for a faulty design. Im just hoping mine fails before my extended warranty runs out so I can get them to install the updated hub.
Nothing a quick pressure wash wouldn't ensure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode