MV Agusta Forum banner

Radiator recall?

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  adecritten 
#1 ·
I was told by someone in the know that MV has a radiator recall going on for even out of warranty bikes. He said they crack and leak fluid on the headers and start a fire or something like that. Their shop had 3 of their MV's done at a local dealer. Havent had time to call Pro Italia and ask yet, anyone heard anything?

#3 ·
Forgive me...

Who is "someone"?
What does "in the know" mean?
Which "shop" are you referring to with "3 of their MVs"?

Now I realize you have information, which if true is important to all of us, but if you could provide a name, date, source, or any other quantifying information, it would help tremendously.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that if a known problem has been identified, it will include a recall for all bikes. Until then, thanks for the info. If you get more, please post.

#5 ·
I met the guy at my last sunday ride on route, he came up to me and talked to me, he was also a MV owner, he works at a motorcycle shop and him and the other people there own 3 MV's between them. He said they all got their rad's changed out of warranty due to a safety recall. He instructed me to call Pro Italia and ask them about it. Thats all I know. I work long hours so I havent been able to call them and ask yet, thought you guys would know more info on it.

#6 ·
There is a known fault with 1000cc (pre-312) radiators although I don't believe it's ever been a recall.

Unless you run petrol in place of coolant you won't have a fire, just a lot of steam. Ask me how I know... ok, I'll tell. I've got 2 re-welded rads in the garage and am on my fourth (aparently I ride em too hard LOL).

The upper mounts on older rads were a stupid design that pulled the core apart if you hit a bump. Supposedly 312's onwards had the new design that added a double-sided mount (although my 1000R had 312 exhaust parts so there is obviously a bit of crossover between early/early models as parts bins were being exhausted). I've now got the newer design and it's been fine since.

In the UK I think out of warantee will likely equate to 'cross your fingers'.

#9 ·
They will when a rider goes down because of premature hub failure and sues them for a faulty design. Im just hoping mine fails before my extended warranty runs out so I can get them to install the updated hub.

#11 ·
I never let water touch my bike mate. And how do you suppose I get my radiator to crack so they can put the updated version of that?

#14 ·
Get it up into a higher mountain the road the reduced air pressure on the outside of the bike maybe all it is needing.

You could also try thermal shock, get it hot as possible then get a fozen towel and put that against the radiator with a bit of luck it should crack it

HTH

#15 ·
I've owned a few 750's over the years and never had a prob lem with the rad, is this strictly a 1000 cc issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.