MV Agusta Forum banner

Demographic of a MV owner

9K views 75 replies 59 participants last post by  322Rob 
#1 · (Edited)
Many times, when out for a ride with a friend of mine (a fellow F4 owner), we've sat and chatted about why we own our MV's and perhaps, more importantly, why we keep one. Style? Riding satisfaction?? Yes, those are most certainly two aspects you would expect to hear about MV ownership. Practicality on the other hand? Probably not.

I know we've had polls on the age range of ownership. I think if you stop at any popular biking waterhole (definately here in the UK) the average age of bikers is up there in the late 30's and into the 40's these days. Whereas 30 years ago the average age was much younger. However I think back then the motor bike someone owned was probably the only powered transport they had. But there are plenty of younger guys (and girls) on this forum too.

So be honest, why have you got a MV in the garage?

#3 ·
I think back then the motor bike someone owned was probably the only powered transport they had.
That's how it started, for my generation at least. Moped at 14 years of age with no licence requirement, unlimited bike licence at 16, two years before you could even consider driving a box on 4 wheels. Some of us never lost the passion.

#4 ·
Biking in the UK has drastically changed since Vauxhall started building the Nova 1.3 SR and Halfords started selling huge cheap Sub Woofer speakers from China.

The migrations of the Lee’s of this World have gone over to cars because of the changing social scene. Also, parents nowadays are more aware of health & safety and don’t want their kids to be an organ donor waiting to happen.

I own an F4 simply because I like the way it looks. It’s that basic and biking is in my blood.

PS: There is a massive difference between a UK Lee and a USA Lee :)

#37 ·
PS: There is a massive difference between a UK Lee and a USA Lee :)
I'ma just guessing that we could have an entire thread on this topic, eh? :stickpoke

#5 ·
The day I saw a 200? 750 I was just in AWWE on how cool it looked and How cool he looked on it! We were all riding in a pack and I could stop staring at this thing on how cool it was! I could have been lured into the dark van with that thing and got raped and would never had told on him! So I just saved and sold some possessions mostly my body.. and bought one! Now I have one because it makes me look cool and Im finally popular because everyone wants to know about it! Still working on getting laid out of owning one maybe I should go to the car parks with JDS since its dark and they cant see me!

#6 ·
I Always wanted a Cagiva , and this was the closest i could get:):drummer: Joke aside, its the look of the bike, and the handling that did it for me. Used to own a Fz1, but the bike never did anything good for my feelings, until i tested the brutale. That bike is what a street fighter is all about:)

#8 ·
I'm 52yo and own a few bikes including an F4 1000s.

I bought one because I thought it was possibly the most beautiful sportbike ever designed. To me, it looks absolutely gorgeous from every possible angle.

I had to make a 16 hr round trip to a dealership to buy it and when I got home and unloaded it, my wife said, "My god that thing is beautiful."

I agree.

#9 ·
I had rode nothing but Jap bikes and wanted to get something that stuck out from the crowd of squids.....so I bought a Ducati. But when the Duc let me down, I switched to the MV. Actaully prefer the inline 4 to the twin.....plus the looks and sound are second to none.

#10 ·
I bought the MV so I could stand out from the crowd.

When my friends and I are out riding and we stop for a break there's always atleast one person who will walk up to our group of bikes and stare (because they wish they could ride too) and the same thing always comes out of their mouth......." Is that a MV Agusta ? " they don't ask " Is that a Suzuki ? " or " Is that a Honda ? "

And that my friends is why I ride a MV :f4:

#15 ·
When my friends and I are out riding and we stop for a break there's always atleast one person who will walk up to our group of bikes and stare (because they wish they could ride too) and the same thing always comes out of their mouth......." Is that a MV Agusta ? " they don't ask " Is that a Suzuki ? " or " Is that a Honda ? "
+1.

When I was a kid I got seriously into cycling - would go off for 100 - 120 miles on a Sunday, my parents never had a clue where I was (and no mobile phones in those days). When I was old enough, I moved onto motorbikes.
I compiled a list of what I aspired to when I had enough money.
1. A Fred Grubb bicycle
2. A Bang & Olufson Hi-Fi
3. An MV bike
4. A Bugatti car.

All were what I regarded as the ultimate, during the mid/late 70s.

1 is No Longer Available. 2 I have. 3 I have. 4 maybe never.

I used to goad my mates with "I'd rather walk than ride a Bandit" which was a bit extreme (I've ridden one since as a courtesy bike while the MV was being serviced) but a Jap bike holds no attraction for me.

#12 ·
First time I saw a MV in the flesh was in 2003 and I fell in love at first sight! Got my F4 in early 2007 (I think) and I am still in love. I never get sick of looking at her, riding her or hearing her engine roar! Best bike in the world IMHO.

#13 ·
I have been riding motorcycles since I was seven years old and I am now 35. There was a time period after I moved to Chicago that I did not ride, but for the past five years I have been back on bikes quite a bit. My other rides are both vintage bikes, and when it came time to get a modern bike I didn’t even consider an MV Agusta as being a possibility. While I was looking at a Trumph and a Ducati I happened to find a great deal on a 2004 Brutale 750, and to be honest, I can not even believe I am the owner of it. For me it is the entire ownership experience that drew me in - performance, styling, rarity, exclusivity, history – they all factor in. It is the most fun I’ve had on two wheels since I was a little kid jumping my dirt bike all around the country hills. When I had the opportunity to buy a Tamborini designed bike I decided I just had to do it, especially since I had been wanting to buy a naked/street fighter style of bike. The fact that I had almost never seen an MV on the road factored into my decision, but if the bike didn’t make me fall in love with it on its own merits I would not have cared about that. My wife even told me after seeing the bike when I was shopping that she thought I should get it. At our house the nickname is “the beautiful beast”.

#14 ·
Always owned cool cars, rode Duc Monsters and 848, BMW s1000rr, various Jap bikes, saw a TV show on MV, loved the company methods, philosophy, and attention to detail. Found some to look at, I believe they are the most beautiful bike I've seen, artistry. My wife rides a Monster, sitting side by side in my garage most people can easily see the difference in detail and the way parts are designed and produced.
I wanted a Naked bike for comfort and bold coolness, but love the performance of a sport bike, the Brutale is surely the benchmark for the genre. It is the coolest Naked bike on the rode, but when I ride with my wife, more people talk to her, probably because she's so hot;) While out this summer the Duc site's "sightings" thread posted "Blonde hottie on a yellow monster with some dude on a black Brutale". Apparently "Blonde Hottie" beats Brutale, I would say there are a lot more Hot blondes in PDX than Brutales, but that's just me.

#19 ·
At this moment in time I have no MV in my life, not happy about that.

Why I owned one? think it stems from living less than a mile from the TT course in my yoof, I walked/cycled to Ballacraine most practice and races when Ago and Mike The Bike were riding MV's, the noise was something i'll never forget.

It was always a dream to have an MV .... when the F4 came out I thought i'd like one of then, then the price tag was revelled and all thoughts went out the window... Resigned myself to always looking but not touching ...

As time moved on and things changed in my life, divorce, meeting my future wife and subsequently getting married again, she reawakened my love of bikes as she had only just passed her test and I helped her buy her first "proper" bike.

moving on a couple of years and the opportunity presented itself to buy an F4, needless to say the deed was done in late December! It was brought home and installed in our conservatory and a spent many a night just sitting with a beer with just looking at it..... I still say nothing on two wheels comes close to the beauty of an F4...

I also a couple of years later bought a 750 brutale, another master piece of design, then along came the 910R.... made big mistake and traded both on for one 910R, beautiful but IMO flawed motorcycle....

So why? well as I had on my number plate ..... Because I can ....

Coming soon again to a garage near me if all goes to plan ....

#23 ·
Ever since stumbling across a picture of the first F4 I fell in love with MV Agusta. The racing history, family history, ties to Ferrari and Agusta Helicopters.... Without a doubt they have always been the sexiest bikes produced!!!
From that day it was on my "wish list". Now after buying one, I want more..:mouthwate

#25 ·
Can anybody show me anything sexier?

Saw my first Brutale in the flesh on a trip to Japan for my 40th birthday a couple years ago. It was love at first sight :heart: and I could not believe a naked bike could be any sexier. I did not do any preliminary research about quirks, maintenance costs or comparative analysis with anything else. I just verified there was a dealer in my area for maintenance and parts and I started monitoring ads and classifieds.
Two months later I found her, in pristine condition, with just 2300 miles. I had just gone through divorce so I did not have to ask anybody's permission and decided that it was time to indulge and live life to the fullest. After a 10 year hiatus, I returned to my love of riding motorcycles and I consider myself truly privileged to be able to ride such a fine machine.
I know the sound, the looks and the exclusivity of an MV make my Ducatista friends jealous and filled with lust. And my two little boys seem to agree with me that it's the coolest bike in the world. Even my girlfriend frequently insists on taking the Brute instead of the cage. How could so many people be wrong?

#30 ·
For me the Italian's have an undeniable flair or perhaps that should be passion for creating something special, be it bikes, cars, fashion. It's something I am fortunate enough to enjoy. Upon returning to bikes just over 12 years ago at 42 yo after a 15 year hiatus, I purchased a brand new Ducati followed by another Ducati before getting into the classic Italian bike scene with my first MV, a 125 from 1969. From there I just started buying bikes I enjoyed, being MVs and Ducatis. Tally to date 5 MVs and 5 Ducatis ranging from 1950 to 2003 and all but the first bike I consider special. The first bike, a brand new 750 SS from 1997 is now just the hack bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.