MV Agusta Forum banner

No WTF ?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Serious Groper 
#1 ·
Did I read that right. In a post in the f3 section it was said that MV will not be shipping to the USA anymore or is it just the F3 ?

#2 ·
MV is shipping to the US...and we will get the F3 when available.

You must have had a bad dream.

#4 ·
I won't be surprised if that 'rumour' on the F3 sub forum turns out to be true.

The USD is tanking. The prices required for that market are so low they probably lose money with each sale so what's the point?

Would be interesting to hear something official.

#5 ·
Well....since they had a representative present at all the Bubba II functions...and they are advertising and setting up more dealers in the US....I think you have indigestion related nightmares...The US is a fairly important market and the economy is turning (contrary to what some Fox News pundits would want you to believe just ahead of elections in a few weeks)....MV has been investing here, not running away.

#8 ·
It's not that i don't want it there.

What i don't like is 'how' it gets there.

The US is 40% of the Consumer world market. You should have great pricing due to economies of scale and price breaks but that is not enough for the US market.

The US is HEAVILY funded by the profits from outside consumer markets. The rest of us pay more for product so you guys can get it cheaper. In particular, Australia which is a VERY profitable market for major companies.

The USD peso (just listen to Bernanke!) will mean if pricing is going to hold and not increase in the US market, more profit has to be spent from outside markets to fund that currency shortfall. That means more expensive product for Australia and other regions because we will have to fund it.

#7 ·
I dunno Ed, GC himself said that the exchange rate made it impossible to sell the F3 in the US for a profit. And no matter how big the US market is, if they lose money on the bikes they could sell a million and all they'll do is lose more money.

#9 ·
So you feel that you pay higher prices so we can get our products cheaper? You sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you are on a island and the dealers there know you dont have much of a choice so they overcharge you? Aus. pricing has been in place for a long time, and I agree, you guys pay way to much for bikes there.

#10 ·
Correct.

The perception here in Oz is that we are being ripped off by the retailers. for consumer products, that is not true. The margins we offer to retailers here are not really any different to other markets.

Sure there is an example whereby a pair of plastic gloves costs $0.50 to make and you can buy them for $30 but when it comes to Consumer electronics and all the toys, the difference lies in the subsidiaries purchase price from head office.

The US will usually get the lowest price around. Australia generally gets a much higher price. The other option is we get the same buy price but the US gets approvals for lower market prices and Australia does not. We have to offset other markets and Australia is typically a very profitable market and they like to keep it that way.

The same goes with stock. The US subsidiary will say 'what stock shortage?' meanwhile here in Australia we are in a plastic dingy sending up flares and blowing whistles.

I haven't worked in the automotive industry so i can't say how their pricing works but i imagine it to be much the same. We produced a Holden Commodore here locally which was a big seller in our market and then we hipped it to the US. It sold as the Pontiac G8 (it was something like that) and you guys paid roughly half the price we paid for it.

The Ozzy customers were a little pissed off but they all thought the difference was Govt taxes. What they didn't figure out is how can it be Govt taxes when the vehicle is produced locally? There is no tariff applied and our local car manufacturers get so many rebates from the Govt to keep the prices down it's not funny.

BTW I do this for a living for a number of countries (not the US) so i'm not making it up lol. It's one topic i know a bit about :)

This is why i commented on another thread about the devaluing of the USD being such a bad idea. It becomes harder to support the US pricing because your revenue goes downhill when converted back to EUR. It will cause imports to go up in price but your wages won't go up with them. Effectively it makes you poorer and devalues any savings you have.

Mind you it's understandable why they want to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.