MV Agusta Forum banner

BMW vs MV

6K views 60 replies 25 participants last post by  ErikV 
#1 · (Edited)
Today, I finally looked into the possibility of owning a BMW superbike, perhaps adding to my stable. I doubt I will get rid of my MV, nor my Ducati.

I did a little research, but the bottom line is this: Only in my opinion, BMW they are makers of some of the finest cars and motorcycles in the world doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to Superbikes. I don't know what it is, but the bikes don't have any sex appeal at all! I have no doubt they have some great engineering and are wonderful to ride, but a big part of why I love motorcycles is because I enjoy staring at them for long periods of time as well. :D What is wrong with BMW? I stare at it, I try to like it, but I just can't. Why is it this way? I try to like it and I'm sure they are doing everything to make the bike appealing, but for some reason, their Superbikes just don't do it for me "looks-wise." I don't mean to offend owners of BMW, this is only my opinion, which means I could be wrong, and that's ok with me.

For some bizarre reason, I thought... Why doesn't BMW, with all their great financial power, just buy MV and get it all over with, everybody happy :)

#2 ·
I've been a huge fan of BMW automobiles for years. As a new-ish rider, I've only recently understood the appeal of their motorcycles. As usual, BMW will do things in their own way (e.g., inline 6 or boxer motors). I believe that their Superbike effort was a departure from their 'norm' and it is clear that there is a lot of Japanese influence in their S1000rr.

I think that emulating the Japanese formula allowed them to simply advance the engineering that was already done by many manufacturers over the years possibly saving time and R&D costs. Exciting? Not really to look at...I agree there's no sex appeal. But when you consider the performance that they were able to extract, and especially at a certain price-point, it starts to make sense.

The character/style that the other Beamers have seems to be replaced with a spec-sheet. Is this bad? Not from the standpoint of race-results and sales...who wasn't anticipating the arrival of the S1000rr just to see what it could do? But as Kawi's new 10r start to get some press, it appears that the new class of bikes will better what BMW has done and it will be hard (my guess) to differentiate at the performance level. I see the S1000rr as a crossover into mainstream. I hope this is not the overall direction of the company and their other bikes.

Hyper performance is great, no doubt. For myself (and I'm sure many of us MV owners) there is more than that to it and why I bought my Brutale.

#5 ·
I have not personally ridden one. I have passed and been passed by people on the track. What I can tell is that the bike is a monster in the correct hands. The tech is there and equipment come with the bike for the price but the reliability of all the stuff working and performing at a high level will remain to be seen. Looks, yeah its kinda growing on me, but you can't compare to my other ladies, but it was built for another kind of customer, so I congratulate BMW. I have owned previous cars and currently still do, and they keep running and looking good, so if a used one ever comes up, I'm grabbing it. IF the damn economy doesn't drop, lol

#10 ·
BMW bashing is one of my pet hates so hopefully this doesn't turn into a us vs them thread. BMWs are quirky, innovative and the S1000RR shows that they certainly can perform as well. Well built, I really like them especially the boxer engined bikes.

They don't stir me in the same way as the MV's though. In fact nothing does. Nearest thing I can think of is the Ducati Streetfighter or Hypermotard, but on close examination Ducati build and materials just looks a tad shoddy even though they are put together pretty well now. BMW certainly has the best pride of ownership after MV.

#11 ·
Sorry guys, didn't intend to start a thread to bash BMW, as you guys have correctly stated they are fine fine machines. I thought about perhaps BMW can just buy MV, that way everyone can be happy! What do you guys think of that? It's about time BMW sportbikes have a little sex appeal, and about time MV has the resources and financial backing to follow-up with a truly NEW design... it has been 13 years!! Harley owning MV gives me the creeps!

#14 ·
The same guy as before. You know, with out HD we wouldn't have the new Brutale or F4. Castiglioni said himself, when HD was around they had all the money they needed. Now, they need to tight their belts.

Why would BMW want MV? I could understand HD wanting to break in the European market but I see no reason for BMW to be interested. It's not like they can't make a nice design by hiring many talented designers. They just don't want to - or considering their sales, don't need to.

#16 ·
As Allan said, MV is back into the hands of the original owner Claudio Castiglioni. And from what they say, they are in very good financial condition as a company.

If BMW bought MV, I would sell my MV and buy a Ducati. Thats how much I hate every bike BMW has ever put their name on.

#19 · (Edited)
BMW usually buy companies so that they can rape their technology.
Example, bought rover purely so that they could take the fab mini design, and apply the best-in-business Land Rover tech to what was the newly founded BMW SUV models, - X5, X3 etc. Ditched rover and range rover after that but kept the mini for themselves.

Example, bought Husqvarna from MV agusta so that they could access the Off-road know how and apply the tech to the new BMW off-road models. Now they've done that Husqvarna will probably be left to struggle on their own as a subsidiery.

Again with Rolls-Royce in Crewe they showed no interest in the companies past heritage. They just wanted the Roll-Royce Brand name from VW so that they could start up a fresh new enterprise.

If they bought MV it would be a disaster, but I don't think MV have anything to offer except the name, although the new triple might look nice to them if it had a BMW badge on it!!! Glad CC has the company in good hands again. I'm glad of the previous Harley ownership, they did MV proud - its a shame they couldn't hang on to it.

#20 ·
MV have come up with a totally new design the F3!!!!!

No manufacturer (or very seldom) goes all out to make a totally new design, when one particular model is so successful they usually just develop it (design wise!) into a better or improved version of what has already been achieved!

#21 ·
Come to think of it, what squibby says is at least somewhat true about BMW, maybe even all true. I was aware of BMW purchasing Rover, and how Rover's technology made it into the X5, and then when they were done, they dumped Rover (now owned by Ford, I believe). While they owned Rover, BMW did make some vast engineering improvements to the Rover, especially in the electronics, which was Rover's "sickness" before BMW came along.

#22 ·
Bavaria VS Italia

BMW = Anne of Cleves

MV Agusta = Anne Boleyn

One was plain and sensible shuffled back to Germany on the basis of no sex appeal

The other was beautiful...and if a little capricious lived on the wild, side of life..and caused many to lose their heads....:naughty:

#26 ·
Oh and have any of you READ all the specs and test on the Kawi? BMW is done. The new Kawi and Aprilia both have TCS and all the other high end goodies. Except that Kawi will be doing it a lot cheaper then the Aprilia.

#27 ·
I own both the S1000rr and MV F4 1000. Both wonderful rides.

I think most everyone would agree that the S1000 is no where near the looker the F4 is.

I own several bikes and I bought the S1000 because it impressed me with it's ease of use, power, and BMW reliability. I wanted to add another liter bike to the garage that was more of a utility bike. The different thottle maps, traction control, slipper clutch, work seemlessly together in my road use experience. It's comfortable to ride, feels as light as my daytona 675, and handles any corner I've thrown at it easily. The lights are incredible when I caught out after dark. It's the bike I take out when I don't want to deal with the possibility of coolant leaks and overheating in traffic.

I also don't have to trailer it four hours away to get it serviced like I do the MV and Ducatis.

I didn't plan on buying this bike when it came out. But an hour long test ride changed my mind.

Do I look at it for long periods of time while sitting in the garage, like I do the Italian bikes.....no.

But I can take it out for a ride, enjoy using it without any worries, and rarely see another one on the road like I would if I was riding one of the liter bikes from the big four.

#28 ·
Ideal would be both, but I still dream of the lottery win....... I decided only way to choose was test ride them both and posted this recently on the S1000RR forum:

Easy answer test ride them both. I did this week and have put in an order for the MV.

So much of it is down to personal taste. But there are clear differences between the two which only you can decide which is best for you not a journalist (with BMW mega advertising budget)

Easy decision would be not to get the BMW without the sports pack. I don't know why they sell this as the electronics make the bike special....

BMW brakes are truly awesome and are what stick out in my mind after my test ride - look like the same Brembos but the ABS is a potential lifesaver. I tried it many times in my 3 hour test and always way way beyond my capabilities. On the track for your average Joe this would make a HUGE difference in lap times.

Both have traction control and I couldn't really guage any major difference. They both work.

The quickshifter on the BMW is brilliant - but easy to get as an aftermarket item.

I hated the rear brake pedal on the BMW for use in town. I found it really awkward.

Both handle superbly - I suspect the BMW wins for suspension comfort on the road and the MV is more track focussed and will need careful set up.

The MV sounds absolutely awesome in stock trim even better than the old one. The butterfly valve system works perfectly.

I found the MV way more comfortable. I am 6 foot 3. All the tests say the BMW is more comfortable - I didn't find that at all and got a sore neck and arms after 30 minutes.

The high foot rests on the MV didn't bother me but I will probably get adjustable rear sets.

I found the MV way more responsive low down but the BMW takes off into hyperdrive above 10,000 rpm. Absolutely astonishing. Question is would you use it on the road - if you did you would lose your licence very quickly...

Then there's the looks...... Until you see the MV in the flesh pictures don't do it justice. Apart from the loss of the 4 organ pipes at the back next to the old model it has been bought up to date but still retains the orginal design philosophy. In the two hours I had it I lost count of the looks/stares and was mobbed the two times I stopped. Nobody looked at the BMW.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but my three girls, their teenage friends who have no interest in bikes all remarked how stunning the MV was. Ugly was the common theme for the BMW.....

It was a really hard decision to take for me as they are both fantastic but very different.

If I was 15 years younger and was as mad at track days as I used to be I would chose the BMW. It would take at least 1/2 a second a lap off my local track Knockhill which is a very short circuit.

But I'm not. There are all the intangibles that go with an MV as well and the looks/sound/history/comfort are what swung it for me. Shame my local dealer is 40 miles away and I know I will need the warranty!

Best to try them both I would say.

Thanks for all the advice on this forum but I am off to MVagusta.net

Cheers

Finlay

#31 · (Edited)
NO....................

Not in a million years:jsm: and that comes from an S1000RR owner:stickpoke.

What the HP2 does have is some truly lovely tricky bits and a real tidy rear silencer (look at the welding MV) but as a package and an alternative to this debate? nope

And from Finlay:
I found the MV way more responsive low down but the BMW takes off into hyperdrive above 10,000 rpm. Absolutely astonishing. Question is would you use it on the road - if you did you would lose your licence very quickly...

Yes, the MV does feel way more responsive low down and with Steve Wood (MV 2010F4) being one of my riding buddies we swap biks quite a bit .
The MV feels as if it will destroy the BMW low down, but whenever we have done a side by side roll on below about 5000rpm and above about 10,000rpm the MV loses out big style, which really surprised me after riding the MV, but anywhere from 5000-10,000rpm the two bikes match each other inch for inch and I do mean inch for inch almost as if glued together:jsm:

#39 · (Edited)
F4WI said:
The HP2 Sport easily gives any MV a run for the money as far as the "wow" factor goes.

Well, you're in the minority on that.

I'll defend the HP2 Sport.

When it comes to WOW factor, F4WI is on to something about the HP2 Sport. From my experience, it is true. Wouldn't have thought it. I didn't set out to collect/ride/race exotic sportbikes, but it has kinda happened.

Oh sure, I'll get the gawkers at the Desmosedici, the 1098R at the track, or perhaps the F4312R, or others in the stable :), but none of them touch the general public/motorcyclist interest like the HP2 Sport. Not even close. I'll tell you what else isn't even close... the HP2S's attention to detail. One marvels at the focus given to every square inch of the bike. Nothing is missed. The componentry is from the highest shelf. Everywhere you look. Not so with the other exotica, including the Ducs, MV, or S1000RR. I have no agenda. I don't need to be defensive about the Desmo, the MV, or others in the barn here. Bottomline is, the HP2 Sport garners more WOW wherever it is parked than any other bike. Period. Doesn't matter to me, but it's the reality.

The other day, at the massive ADVRIDER site, a poll was taken... HP2 Sport or the S1000RR. The vote (from a huge number of respondents) wasn't even close. 90% preferred the HP2 Sport.

Oh sure, it doesn't have the HP of massive overkill liter bikes for the mortals buying them, or the techno wizardry of the latest hyper bikes, but the cerebral rider gives good weight to WOW factors other than rarely used or needed specs on public roads. I have yet to have the DTC kick in on the 1098R (Me thinks I have it too low :)), and the mapping modes of the new Multistrada 1200 are nice, but not needed (Still get a kick out of it though). At some point, it is recognized the leapfrog spec game, like the new Kawasaki versus the S1000RR, is a game that has left all but the pro-level racers long ago. Dang, recently a local rider was trouncing MRA GTO Supertwins (1098's, 999's, Mille's, etc.) racers on a BMW R1100S! Many owners, especially those with bikes like MV's, see/understand there is more to a bike's WOW factor than specs or fancy electronics.

I'll tell you what, it sure is fun bothering riders at the track on their liquid cooled screamers with something like the air-cooled HP2 Sport. It's more fun to do this on the HP2 Sport than the 1098R.

One of the WOW factors... the thing is rare. The $27K (U.S.) MSRP is steep. There are only 70-80 on the street in NA. Only three in the Rockies to my knowledge... two in Colorado and one in New Mexico. Dang, there's far more Desmo's, 1098R's, MV's,S1000RR's. etc. out and about.

Yeah, bikes will come and go here. Just finished writing a massive book on motorcycling Colorado... on and off road. Publisher says it will be at Amazon and dealers in time for the 2011 riding season. Some of the bikes helped greatly with the content, and will move on to other owners over time. What will remain? Well, I know of two for sure... the Desmo and the HP2 Sport. The others are basically disposable (Though I might eventually give the F4312R (Not the new F4) collector status :)).

In the neighborhood...

This happens everywhere it goes, more than other bikes, and it gets to be tedious at times...

At High Plains Raceway...

This thing is an animal at the track, but it would be a toss-up which one I enjoy more on various circuits...

#33 ·
the only wow factor, is the fact you said that...

I would take a MV over a BMW, even if the MV had HALF the HP. Its not about that, or the TCS, the BMW is hideous, and does not have the reputation that MV has as an exclusive bike. Its funny, I have Duc owners always say "man I can not afford that, but nice bike man" and little do they realize, after the carbon and the junk they put into a Duc, they could have had a MV.

I like the high up ergos of the MV, and the crazy handling. TCS (traction control systems) are for Vag's IMO. Its like having a UAV kill your target, wouldnt you rather have a headshot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.