BMW vs MV - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

BMW vs MV

Today, I finally looked into the possibility of owning a BMW superbike, perhaps adding to my stable. I doubt I will get rid of my MV, nor my Ducati.

I did a little research, but the bottom line is this: Only in my opinion, BMW they are makers of some of the finest cars and motorcycles in the world doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to Superbikes. I don't know what it is, but the bikes don't have any sex appeal at all! I have no doubt they have some great engineering and are wonderful to ride, but a big part of why I love motorcycles is because I enjoy staring at them for long periods of time as well. What is wrong with BMW? I stare at it, I try to like it, but I just can't. Why is it this way? I try to like it and I'm sure they are doing everything to make the bike appealing, but for some reason, their Superbikes just don't do it for me "looks-wise." I don't mean to offend owners of BMW, this is only my opinion, which means I could be wrong, and that's ok with me.

For some bizarre reason, I thought... Why doesn't BMW, with all their great financial power, just buy MV and get it all over with, everybody happy

Last edited by Sig.Scuro; 10-05-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I've been a huge fan of BMW automobiles for years. As a new-ish rider, I've only recently understood the appeal of their motorcycles. As usual, BMW will do things in their own way (e.g., inline 6 or boxer motors). I believe that their Superbike effort was a departure from their 'norm' and it is clear that there is a lot of Japanese influence in their S1000rr.

I think that emulating the Japanese formula allowed them to simply advance the engineering that was already done by many manufacturers over the years possibly saving time and R&D costs. Exciting? Not really to look at...I agree there's no sex appeal. But when you consider the performance that they were able to extract, and especially at a certain price-point, it starts to make sense.

The character/style that the other Beamers have seems to be replaced with a spec-sheet. Is this bad? Not from the standpoint of race-results and sales...who wasn't anticipating the arrival of the S1000rr just to see what it could do? But as Kawi's new 10r start to get some press, it appears that the new class of bikes will better what BMW has done and it will be hard (my guess) to differentiate at the performance level. I see the S1000rr as a crossover into mainstream. I hope this is not the overall direction of the company and their other bikes.

Hyper performance is great, no doubt. For myself (and I'm sure many of us MV owners) there is more than that to it and why I bought my Brutale.

** DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY ** There is no way to happiness; happiness is the way **

B4 1078RR
996 X50
958.2 GTS
FZJ80
1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Sometimes, engineers aren't artist and artist aren't engineers. . Tamborini was both.
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Well said Allan! Couldnt agree more.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Established Member

I have not personally ridden one. I have passed and been passed by people on the track. What I can tell is that the bike is a monster in the correct hands. The tech is there and equipment come with the bike for the price but the reliability of all the stuff working and performing at a high level will remain to be seen. Looks, yeah its kinda growing on me, but you can't compare to my other ladies, but it was built for another kind of customer, so I congratulate BMW. I have owned previous cars and currently still do, and they keep running and looking good, so if a used one ever comes up, I'm grabbing it. IF the damn economy doesn't drop, lol
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Now that Kawa launched the new ZX-10, the BMW is old news. The Kawa surpases the BMW on both HP and sophistication of electronics. BMW should have stayed in their niche

Yves
Fort Worth, TX
Bend, OR

2010 Ducati 1198R Corse LE
2008 MV F4 312R (RG3, X-Bikes ECU,...)
2005 Ducati 999S
2004 Ducati 998S Final Edition
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves View Post
Now that Kawa launched the new ZX-10, the BMW is old news. The Kawa surpases the BMW on both HP and sophistication of electronics. BMW should have stayed in their niche
Making ugly bikes?
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Established Member

Smile

1) It is spelled Tamburini, FWIW

2) When it comes to bikes, BMW=bikes made weird
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 PM

I typed that on an iPhone while on a 10 minute jury duty break.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 PM

BMW bashing is one of my pet hates so hopefully this doesn't turn into a us vs them thread. BMWs are quirky, innovative and the S1000RR shows that they certainly can perform as well. Well built, I really like them especially the boxer engined bikes.

They don't stir me in the same way as the MV's though. In fact nothing does. Nearest thing I can think of is the Ducati Streetfighter or Hypermotard, but on close examination Ducati build and materials just looks a tad shoddy even though they are put together pretty well now. BMW certainly has the best pride of ownership after MV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode