Well, now its a law in California...where next? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Unhappy Well, now its a law in California...where next?

New California Law Will Require EPA Sound Emissions Labels On Motorcycle Exhaust Systems

Sep 30, 2010, From a press release issued by American Motorcyclist Association:
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- A new California law requires street motorcycles registered in the state and built on or after Jan. 1, 2013, to have an exhaust system label certifying the motorcycles meet federal sound limits, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

On Sept. 28, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law Senate Bill 435, sponsored by Sen. Fran Pavey (D-Agoura Hills). While motorcycle manufacturers have been complying with the federal law since it was effective in 1983, the new law now makes it a state crime to operate any motorcycle registered in the state that was built on or after Jan. 1, 2013, that doesn't have a federal Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system sound emissions label.

In addition, the law requires aftermarket exhaust systems made on or after Jan. 1, 2013, to display the EPA sound emissions label, and therefore applies to individuals who seek to replace the exhaust system on affected streetbikes.

To view the legislation, see http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil...chaptered.html.

Thousands of motorcyclists utilized the AMA website at AmericanMotorcyclist.com first to oppose the bill, and then to urge Schwarzenegger to reject it.

AMA Western States Representative Nick Haris expressed major concerns about the new law.

"Many EPA labels are very difficult to locate on motorcycles," Haris said. "This law could lead to a flurry of tickets for motorcyclists who have legal exhaust systems with EPA labels on their machines that can't be easily seen. It's unreasonable to expect a law enforcement officer to easily locate an EPA label, and it's simply unfair to expect a motorcycle owner to partially dismantle an exhaust system along the roadside to prove the label exists."

Violators face fines of up to $100 for a first offense and up to $250 for subsequent offenses. Judges have the discretion to dismiss the fine for first-time offenders if the violation is corrected.

Also, a violation is considered a secondary offense, meaning a police officer can't stop a motorcyclist solely because the officer believes the motorcyclist is breaking the sound emissions label law.

"Requiring that a motorcycle display a readily visible EPA label isn't the appropriate way to address concerns about excessive motorcycle sound, which the AMA has pointed out repeatedly," Haris said. "The only objective way to determine whether a motorcycle complies with sound laws is for properly trained personnel to conduct sound level tests using calibrated meters and an agreed-upon testing procedure."

In 1972, Congress passed the federal Noise Control Act, which required the EPA to set sound standards for a number of products. It took several years, but the EPA eventually wrote rules affecting all new motorcycles sold in the U.S. beginning in 1983.

Those regulations, which still stand today, required that all street-legal motorcycles be limited to 83 decibels at that time, with a stricter, 80-decibel limit imposed beginning in 1986.

The AMA has long maintained a position of strong opposition to excessive motorcycle sound. In September 2009, the AMA developed model legislation for use by cities and states seeking a simple, consistent and economical way to deal with sound complaints related to on-highway motorcycles within the larger context of excessive sound from all sources.

The model legislation offers an objective method to evaluate motorcycle sound based on the Society of Automotive Engineers' (SAE) J2825 standard, "Measurement of Exhaust Sound Pressure Levels of Stationary On-Highway Motorcycles." For more information, click here: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/..._Ordinance.pdf.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM

So this is only for bikes 2013 and up?

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Just a matter of time before it makes it here to the Peoples Republic of Illinois....

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:48 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
If loud pipes save lives there are going to be a lot of dead Harley riders.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Im sure those EPA lables will be for sale on ebay within a years time

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
I definitely don't mind putting a cap on some bad apples. Not sure how sensitive they'll be -- hopefully they don't harass the aftermarket pipe good guys who don't wake up all of the neighbors!
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM

This will also not stop people from modding their stock exhausts (with EPA label) instead of replacing it with aftermarket ones.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
If loud pipes save lives there are going to be a lot of dead Harley riders.
Yeah, I'll light a candle.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 PM

This law seems very specific or could be seen as discriminatory. What I mean is - the problem isn't motorcycles is it? The problem is with modded combustion engines, not how many wheels are on the chassis.. There's plenty of honda civics etc out there with cheap noisy pipes.. It seems very short sighted to write a law that should encompass all vehicles to target only one type of vehicle.. The type of vehicle has nothing to do with it really...

I really like my RG3's they have a sweet note without being offensive in casual riding situations.

what about the clowns with stereos so loud I feel my lunch bouncing around in my stomach as they drive by? that's 10x more annoying than an aftermarket exhaust. I guess there's a law for that too but I seldom see it enforced.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrun View Post
This law seems very specific or could be seen as discriminatory. What I mean is - the problem isn't motorcycles is it? The problem is with modded combustion engines, not how many wheels are on the chassis.. There's plenty of honda civics etc out there with cheap noisy pipes.. It seems very short sighted to write a law that should encompass all vehicles to target only one type of vehicle.. The type of vehicle has nothing to do with it really...
This is exactly the AMA's position...but we weren't heard over the voices of the pissed off legislators who have heard one too many open pipe Harleys ride by.

Yep, you could gut your OEM muffler and be legal it would seem.

This is just the first wave of laws folks....we knew it was coming, but the loud pipes fans didn't care to listen (maybe they can't hear anymore?).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode